IGNORED

Fantano Squarepusher Interview

YEK

• YEK changed the title to Fantano Squarepusher Interview
14 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Great interview. Was nice seeing Tom for once

That fuckin hair he has though lol

yeah lol somehow he reminded me of alan partridge character and i can't quite pin it down why

• Like 1

so after watching it again I think the shoebaleader question and pause at 51:31 was less Tom having a longer answer in his head and more Tom thinking about/being amused by Anthony's description of it as "An era that excited a lot of fans" .:squarepusher:

Edited by colunga
  • Haha 4
  • Facepalm 2

On 6/11/2021 at 11:28 AM, phudoshin said:

I guess the "will you release any more old shit?" answer can be applied to the warp20 tracks - ie "nah"?

"it doesn't excite me looking backwards" he says in an interview to promote the reissue of a 25yr old album of tracks we've all already heard

"I like the idea of music being forgotten" he says about a load of tracks he and aphex have been DJing constantly for over 20 years

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Big Brain 1

20 hours ago, Amen Warrior said:

"it doesn't excite me looking backwards" he says in an interview to promote the reissue of a 25yr old album of tracks we've all already heard

"I like the idea of music being forgotten" he says about a load of tracks he and aphex have been DJing constantly for over 20 years

He's also played tons of old stuff in recent sets. Its  a bit lie the mask thing - "i don't want the crowd to focus on my face".. when he comes across as one of the best gurners on stage clearly lovig it, shouting at the crowd, giving it socks etc. Coachella anyone? I guess he likes to paint a picture but when it comes down to it he's  a rave fucking monster

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 11:22 AM, phudoshin said:

He's also played tons of old stuff in recent sets. Its  a bit lie the mask thing - "i don't want the crowd to focus on my face".. when he comes across as one of the best gurners on stage clearly lovig it, shouting at the crowd, giving it socks etc. Coachella anyone? I guess he likes to paint a picture but when it comes down to it he's  a rave fucking monster

we all accept him as our sophisticated well-read vampire rave overlord

• Like 2

Sweepstakes showed me this last week. Seems rare when a well-known Youtuber hosts an interview with a Warp titan like this. But it was a good interview overall.

One of my biggest takeaways is Tom's take on the approach to music production/comp in general. He emphasizes the point that it doesn't necessarily matter what the next step is, so long as you make a choice - the most important thing.

Edited by ambermonke
  • Like 3

asking about future gibbon has to be one of the most unintentionally genius interview questions ever. Loved the fact that it was his own drums and that it was directly inspired from his first meetup with aphex and his ideas from HAB

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Bubba69 said:

asking about future gibbon has to be one of the most unintentionally genius interview questions ever. Loved the fact that it was his own drums and that it was directly inspired from his first meetup with aphex and his ideas from HAB

Me too, I didn't even realize HAB predated it until he mentioned that - I didn't learn about it until a couple years after i first heard FMWT. It made something click for me, though - there's some common aesthetic thread between the two releases (as well as "Freeman, Hardy, and Willis Acid") and it goes a little deeper than chopped-up, fast, more-or-less jazzy drums. There's this kind of breathless, cathartic melodic sense and dreamy weightlessness to the synth textures. Sort of carefree and natural and non-self-conscious. I crave more of that.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

He mentioned in this interview "(dont) go plastic" is a misheard song lyric.

He said the same thing about shobaleader one...how many pusher songs and albums are misheard song lyrics, and who can guess where dont go plastic is from? :squarepusher:

This is what watmm detectives decided shobaleader one was from ("im your...shobaleader one")