IGNORED

Aleksi Perälä - Spectrum Analysis

On 6/15/2021 at 11:41 PM, Rubin Farr said:

when does this man sleep

these have all already been released.

well it's missing 2-3 of the best cuts from the series but i'll still order it.

29 minutes ago, whosebrian said:

Looks like the tracklist repeats. 1-7 and 8-14 are the same names, but with different audio :music:

I mean, it’s pretty impressive that you all are identifying the different names. 

I can’t compute it all.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Extralife said:

I mean, it’s pretty impressive that you all are identifying the different names. 

I can’t compute it all.

I just did a few digits at a time thing typing it out. Man I wouldn’t know one title from the other. 

if the artwork designates what is on a side of vinyl, then Spectrum 1/Green is getting the least representation. 

What's up with none of the places selling this actually having the correct track list? someone needs to get their shit together...

• Like 1

There is a definite logic to the track names. when you split it up to character groupings. All of them start with FI (could be a reference to Finland - or not); then comes 3A, which is the hex code for an ASCII colon (:), that might not mean anything; then there's C2, which is the hex code for the character Å in ISO-8859-1 - that doesn't make any sense, so I'm extending the grouping for the next three, which make up a running identifier for the releases: C20280 = 1, C20290 = 2, C20300 = 3 etc. - the last grouping is a running track number for each release, with a step of 10, like with the release code.

I tried various (simple) other things to find out whether there's something encoded in the names (like Pantone colors, Unicode characters and the like), but found nothing - what also bothers me is that the releases are called Spectrum but the color order is wrong - GBVRYO - indigo is missing, 0 and 7 are achromatic (grayscale) - the spectrum starts from infrared and ends with ultraviolet, so 0 and 7 could map to those. I see some other decoding possibilities as well, but that's what my pattern matcher picks up easily. It's fun, but I just might ask Allu-Allu about it.

Send in the Farnsworths.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 5
  • Big Brain 1

9 hours ago, dr lopez said:

The codes beginning with FI or GB or UK are some sort of standard ISO code for any track of music through ASCAP or something. All modern music has one

They are ISRCs (ISO 3901) - I thought about something like that and checked out ISWC and ISMN to no avail, so thanks for re-activating that part in my brain. So the format is CC XXX YY NNNNN, CC = country code, XXX = issuer code YY = reference year, last two digits, and NNNNN = unique identifier for the work within the reference year. The current handbook has some interesting things, like the fact that CCXXX is now a five-character alphanumeric prefix, and the country code is no longer required, so if the first two letters of an ISRC don't correspond to an ISO 3166 alpha 2 country code, then you won't know the country of origin.

Spoiler

These things are fascinating to an aspie like me, so YMMV. I'm having fun reading through the spec and also found out about related metadata specs. Then there's GRid, too. Joy.

Edited by dcom
  • Farnsworth 1