IGNORED

What music gear you had that got rid of and kinda regret!

TheBro

I'll start.

I had an Alesis Midiverb 2 and sold it for next to nothing to a mate and the Volca Keys was nice too and I sold that for not much but then they're dime and dozen. Also had a Yamaha RX-15 which I gave away for free when I should just got it fixed but I figured it was worth nothing. And a long long time ago I had a Roland TR606 but didn't keep it because I couldn't figure out how to incorporate it into my set up. Ha ha regretting getting rid everything!!! 

Juno 106, one of my first synths and definitely first synth I owned that I really fell in love with, Oberheim Matrix 6R, those things are great fun (and underrated?), I sold both of those waaaaay too cheap, but what is a starving student supposed to do.

Kawai K5000S, well, programming it was a kind of a chore so I guess I don't regret that one as much.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Like 1

bought a TR-606 in 2009 for 300 euros, near mint condition with original box and roland bag. Ended up selling it for the same reason as TheBro (and also because I was leaving in Lyon and life was not cheap). Also Nord Drum 2.

• Like 1

Sold a Korg Poly61m for $80 because it was big and my partner at the time didn't want to take it with us on a move and wore me down.  I've regretted it ever since.

Oh, and I sold a small, early 1960s Silvertone tube amp that I found in  a dumpster for $10 on a whim to a guy who had come to buy some other gear from me, because it needed some service and at the time I couldn't do it myself and couldn't afford to have a pro do it.

Also donated a Pioneer RT701 reel to reel in perfect condition (I got it from the original owner) to the thrift shop.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Silent Member said:

but what is a starving student supposed to do.

ramen

Roland SVC-350 Vocoder, used it on one track, then somehow convinced myself that software could do just as good a job (which, of course, it can't).  Now sells for 6 times the price

• Haha 1

SH-101 many many years ago, to pay rent.  I missed it until I got an A-100.  Oddly, I never missed the TB-303...

I'm on my third DrumStation, so I guess that's one that's borderline worth selling/keeping.  Even for digital sounds, twiddling knobs beats browsing samples (at least for me), it's just I usually end up making my own patches on the modular instead.

Not that you can really get rid of it, but I kinda miss the tracking days too...  But I like my current setup too much to get back into it...

• Like 3

Neumann KH120a - sold them in mint condition for 650 euros to finance bigger monitors ? .:: I should have kept them and used them in another room as hifi speakers instead 

Vermona Retroverb Lancet - sold it mint for cheap to finance a MDuw but i didn’t have to sell it; i had the money. Will probably buy it again!

AMS Calrec Minimixer. sigh. should have kept it but 2008 crash had me spinning. sold lot's then. but i miss that little mixer a lot. also had an eventide eclipse that i got super cheap because it had an older OS and a bent rack ear... easily fixed and updated. that'd be nice to have back. if i could go back in time i'd have frozen my set up in 2005.

19xMPNA.jpg

• Like 2

1) I had 2 TR-707s at one point and sold the better one of the 2 for $200. The power port on the one I kept is garbage and I have to keep the cable taped in place. I'm an idiot.

2) I borrowed a friend's Casio SK-1 and eventually gave it back, which I shouldn't have. It was awesome. At least I made a bunch of tunes with it.

3) I was on a walk with a friend of mine once and found some badass FM synthesis keyboard in the trash that worked perfectly fine. I can't remember what it was (it was small/medium sized and may have been a yahmaha? ) but it had value buttons so you could tweak each selected voice with a variable degree of sweet FM synth distortion, almost like static. I gave it to my friend because he was collecting tons of vintage gear at the time and I thought it would be a nice gesture. Bad move. It was a dope little synth. I wish I could remember the make/model. Any guesses??

4) I once found a vintage yamaha mixing console in the trash. It was maybe 12 tracks with real spreing reverb. it weighed like 100 lbs and was as solid as a tank. I dumped it when I moved because it was just too big and heavy to carry around and din't have USB, which now I'm like "so fuckin what?!?".

... I used to find great gear in the trash or on the street all the time when I lived in NYC, btw. I once found a perfectly good Technics 1200 on the street, still have it ;)

Edited by J3FF3R00
  • Like 2

41 minutes ago, J3FF3R00 said:

3) I was on a walk with a friend of mine once and found some badass FM synthesis keyboard in the trash that worked perfectly fine. I can't remember what it was (it was small/medium sized and may have been a yahmaha? ) but it had value buttons so you could tweak each selected voice with a variable degree of sweet FM synth distortion, almost like static. I gave it to my friend because he was collecting tons of vintage gear at the time and I thought it would be a nice gesture. Bad move. It was a dope little synth. I wish I could remember the make/model. Any guesses??

In the trash? Small form factor? Korg 707 or DX 100 perhaps?

• Like 1

My first hardware synth was a DSI Mopho desktop, which I sold to pick up a Doepfer Dark Energy.  I regretted selling it at the time, but all is well, because I wound up getting the keyboard version a few years later.  Now I have a closet full of orphan gear that I'll probably never use again.  

Key word is kinda, 'cause I don't lose sleep over this:

Roland EF-303. Hated the RCA-only connections (classic Roland cheapness on their inputs/outputs) but yeah, I've come to accept that with the KP3 so I could have accepted it here, too. Also would have been nice to have an all fader-based MIDI sequencer.

3 hours ago, ignatius said:

AMS Calrec Minimixer. sigh. should have kept it but 2008 crash had me spinning. sold lot's then. but i miss that little mixer a lot. also had an eventide eclipse that i got super cheap because it had an older OS and a bent rack ear... easily fixed and updated. that'd be nice to have back. if i could go back in time i'd have frozen my set up in 2005.

19xMPNA.jpg

This hurts!

2 hours ago, French said:

A Monomachine. Yes I know. 

This hurts even more!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

and also my Akai S20, miss this one a lot 

:catcry:

Wow, came here to post the same thing!

EDIT: also, a very nice CZ-101. What a unique synth! Plus you can take the batteries out and then put them back in and the patches go randomized in amazing ways.

Edited by ascdi
  • Like 1

Sold my Octatrack last year to pay for a Push + Ableton. I don't really regret it, because Ableton/Push totally has been a godsend when it comes to workflow. Also, after really digging in, think the Octa really shines when connected to multiple other gear, which I don't have (yet). 

However, I kinda regret it, because there are just certain things it does so well that is hard to replicate otherwise (parameter locking, morphing slider, conditionals, probabilities, etc.). Plus, think there is something really good about working within the confines of a single piece of kit, particularly one that has such an esoteric workflow. And clicky keys. mmm. miss them things. 

first synth i bought when i was 17 was a jupiter 6 which was $800. worked at marshall fields until i had enough, then quit. a couple years later i was completely poor and sold it for like $600.

lol

• Sad 2