IGNORED

What music gear you had that got rid of and kinda regret!

TheBro

8 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

and also my Akai S20, miss this one a lot 

:catcry:

Oh yeah, I got rid of an Akai S01 that I got free and never used, but I'd use it now.

Also around that time I got a free S900 with the aftermarket S950 upgrade (toggle switch on the front to select between 12 bit s900 and 16 bit s950 modes) for free because it had stopped booting, and while I was doing some tests before installing the new floppy drive I forgot to unplug it, discharged one of the PSU caps, and then it didn't boot in a much more worrying way than before (no display at all) so I gave it away.  Probably shouldn't have.

3 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

Key word is kinda, 'cause I don't lose sleep over this:

Roland EF-303. Hated the RCA-only connections (classic Roland cheapness on their inputs/outputs) but yeah, I've come to accept that with the KP3 so I could have accepted it here, too. Also would have been nice to have an all fader-based MIDI sequencer.

I love the the EF303, totally underrated but getting hard to find/too expensive.  Used to be in the $80-$120 range like half the stuff I own was when I bought it, but I don't think that range exists anymore.

I hadn't used it in a year or so but I pulled it out the other week and it's even better than I remember but also some of the faders have gone weird, probably need cleaning.

Edited by TubularCorporation

19 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

1) I had 2 TR-707s at one point and sold the better one of the 2 for $200. The power port on the one I kept is garbage and I have to keep the cable taped in place. I'm an idiot.

2) I borrowed a friend's Casio SK-1 and eventually gave it back, which I shouldn't have. It was awesome. At least I made a bunch of tunes with it.

3) I was on a walk with a friend of mine once and found some badass FM synthesis keyboard in the trash that worked perfectly fine. I can't remember what it was (it was small/medium sized and may have been a yahmaha? ) but it had value buttons so you could tweak each selected voice with a variable degree of sweet FM synth distortion, almost like static. I gave it to my friend because he was collecting tons of vintage gear at the time and I thought it would be a nice gesture. Bad move. It was a dope little synth. I wish I could remember the make/model. Any guesses??

4) I once found a vintage yamaha mixing console in the trash. It was maybe 12 tracks with real spreing reverb. it weighed like 100 lbs and was as solid as a tank. I dumped it when I moved because it was just too big and heavy to carry around and din't have USB, which now I'm like "so fuckin what?!?".

... I used to find great gear in the trash or on the street all the time when I lived in NYC, btw. I once found a perfectly good Technics 1200 on the street, still have it ?

Wow the best I've seen left out in my area was an Amiga 500 wish I taken it. Oh well lol.

Sequential Sixtrack. Bought it for like 500 eur in 2012. Was disappointed by the sequencer which was my main reason of buying it back then. Today I have no idea why I would have bought it for that specifically while the sound is what makes this device.

Edited by e-mertz
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

3) I was on a walk with a friend of mine once and found some badass FM synthesis keyboard in the trash that worked perfectly fine. I can't remember what it was (it was small/medium sized and may have been a yahmaha? ) but it had value buttons so you could tweak each selected voice with a variable degree of sweet FM synth distortion, almost like static. I gave it to my friend because he was collecting tons of vintage gear at the time and I thought it would be a nice gesture. Bad move. It was a dope little synth. I wish I could remember the make/model. Any guesses??

psr-36? Or pss-680

16 hours ago, Stickfigger said:

Early 90s russian sovtek big Muff. It was one of the big green tank looking ones .. it had some issues that in retrospect just required some basic soldering. I dropped it into a guitar shop to see if they knew someone who could fix it and never saw it again. At the time I was young and high on dance music and didn't really care but now it makes me sad 

I got a Big Muff new in the mid 90s, one of the earlier black versions (but not the tall case one and not the really heavy one) and it had a gloss black finish with a clip for holding two AA batteries instead of a 9 volt installed by accident.  I eventually traded it and still regret it because I've never seen any documentation of that variant online and I've seen a TON of 90s black Russian Big Muff pedals over the years but none like that one.

SP303. Great little sampler I wasn't using for a while, so I sold it for $200 a few years ago. I wanted to buy another one last year and now their going for $600-$700. Tried an SP404 and it just wasn't the same imo, loops clicked a lot if you weren't on the zero crossing point (which i don't remember the 303 doing)

I bought a mint op1 in 2016 for about $600. Sold it in 2017 for $850 to fund an octatrack, which I sold as well because I was unemployed. Then got a digitakt later on, for $629 new, but didn’t like it compared to the octatrack, so...

...I sold that too!

OK I just looked up the SP303 on Reverb and I don't even know  

How?  Why?

I mean it's a really fun little box but there's some serious mythology going on to push it up to $600+, it's not that fun.

5 hours ago, sweepstakes said:

What makes y'all miss the S20?

The s20 is great just to resample things with. If I sample direct from something like a dvd I will resample it on the s20 to get a different fidelity.

Also I regret selling the Korg Poly 61, not an m tho- which is why I sold it. It was so clean and perfect I should have never sold it. Other stuff I only kinda regret, but that one I really do.

49 minutes ago, Himelstein said:

Also I regret selling the Korg Poly 61, not an m tho- which is why I sold it. It was so clean and perfect I should have never sold it. Other stuff I only kinda regret, but that one I really do.

You weren't missing much, the midi on the M was really rudimentary (it was basically a factory installed MIDI retrofit), only note on and note off, not super reliable.  But they're also pretty rare so I could have sold it for about 20x that now (not that I would, it sounded really nice).

On 6/17/2021 at 10:31 PM, Stickfigger said:

Early 90s russian sovtek big Muff. It was one of the big green tank looking ones .. it had some issues that in retrospect just required some basic soldering. I dropped it into a guitar shop to see if they knew someone who could fix it and never saw it again. At the time I was young and high on dance music and didn't really care but now it makes me sad 

Had one of those, sold it last year …

… and kinda regret I didn’t sellout sooner. I held on to it for twenty years after my last band folded and I can’t for the life of me imagine why. Never really liked the sound. Only redeeming quality it had was that the distortion pot was a bit crummy so it had a specific spot right before the muff effect kicked in where the sound was somewhat acceptable.

TR-606. Loved it really for nostalgic reasons. Sold it for more than I spent on it, but regretted it the moment it was out the door. Feeling somewhat better now that I got an RD-6. 

• Like 1

A long time ago I traded my DR-660, which was the first piece of non-guitar gear I ever owned, first thing I ever sequenced on, and generally had a lot of nostalgia value on top of being a great drum machine, for a really clean Commodore 64c in the box with a floppy drive and manuals. Good trade, but I always regretted losing the 660 (the guy would have taken $50 instead of trading but at the time $50 was a LOT for me), so eventually I bought another one a few years back, for about $80 on eBay.  And it's in great shape except that sensors for the snare, hi hat and one or two other pads have lost some of their sensitivity, so they work fine except the velocity/aftertouch range bottoms out around 70. I have no idea where I could get replacements.  MPC sensors? No problem.  But who's going to bother manufacturing/selling DR-660 sensors?  I should have never gotten rid of the first one.

DSI MEK - Mono Evolver Keys 
MS-20 (Orginal)

But I understand why I sold it.. I move around in the world so it is difficult for me to carry it. 
Much better with a Elektron setup! 

8 hours ago, frankbooth said:

TR-606. Loved it really for nostalgic reasons. Sold it for more than I spent on it, but regretted it the moment it was out the door. Feeling somewhat better now that I got an RD-6. 

still hesitating between this and a TR-06

3 hours ago, d-a-m-o said:

still hesitating between this and a TR-06

Went through the same hesitation but it came down to not wanting to spend so much. Paired with the TD-3 and it’s just the minimal set up I needed. 

Sold my Roland SH-101 about 15 years ago for about $500. Needed some money quick to pay for car accident repairs. I miss it constantly, and the prices these days for it meant I really undersold a solid investment!

Ah well, Behringer MS-101 here I come.

On 6/19/2021 at 6:35 AM, TubularCorporation said:

OK I just looked up the SP303 on Reverb and I don't even know  

How?  Why?

I mean it's a really fun little box but there's some serious mythology going on to push it up to $600+, it's not that fun.

In some ways its a market bubble and possible hoarding combined with these units crapping out and needing repair after a few years of use and abuse. 

I think the price will just keep on rising. It might get mythologized the same way as the TB303. The TB303 being a somewhat simple synth/sequencer with a lot of character and history backing it up. 

Personally, I wish Roland reissued the SP303 with a modern storage format instead of continuing to sell SP404A's (which are basically 404SX's in new clothing)

Yamaha gx-1… grabbed it at an estate sale in Ontario for $4500, apparently owned by Queen? Sold it for $8000 thinking it was a steal at the time. This was in 2013 before I knew better. Buyer was setup as a trust so not sure who the actual person was that got it ?

• Farnsworth 1

7 hours ago, Kid Lukie said:

Sold my Roland SH-101 about 15 years ago for about $500. Needed some money quick to pay for car accident repairs. I miss it constantly, and the prices these days for it meant I really undersold a solid investment!

Ah well, Behringer MS-101 here I come.

Been looking at that Behringer recently but it only has a 32 step sequencer which is a bit naff. The SH-01A is more expensive but has polyphony and a 100 step sequencer. You can also power it by batteries which is quite cool

7 hours ago, Hugh Mughnus said:

Yamaha gx-1… grabbed it at an estate sale in Ontario for $4500, apparently owned by Queen? Sold it for $8000 thinking it was a steal at the time. This was in 2013 before I knew better. Buyer was setup as a trust so not sure who the actual person was that got it ?

ouch