IGNORED

Hardware MIDI sequencer recommendation

Hello

Currently using a Critter & Guitari Eyesy, it's wonderful. Patch changing via-receiving MIDI Program Changes opens it up a lot. LFO's to control parameters opens it even further. Currently I'm using a Squarp Pyramid to achieve that and while its wonderful, its way too powerful for it and I'd rather use it elsewhere. So, I am looking for a hardware MIDI controller that matches as many of this list as possible:

1. Small (like a Shruthi)

2. Can create MIDI LFO's that control either CC's or PC's

3. Standalone. No Eurorack for this (want it to be more portable and the rest of the video setup isn't Eurorack either).

4. Hopefully cheap

I was looking at the Matthews Effects Futurist but it doesn't appear to generate MIDI LFO's.

Any recommendations appreciated, thanks!

Thanks for the recommendations! The Cirklon will eventually be a mid-life crisis purchase, haha.

Update on this for anyone curious:  

Thinking about it a bit more, I don't need any MIDI note sequencing at all. Just the ability for a device to send CC/PC modulation. The Mutable Instruments MIDIpal comes very close but doesn't seems to do LFO's for PC's (which is critical for my needs).

The iOS app Rozeta can LFO CC's but doesn't do so currently for PC's. That developer is responsive and very nice. I have submitted a feature request for the LFO app to control Program Changes. Keeping my fingers crossed!

• Like 1

social entropy engine

elektron digitakt (8 midi tracks 2 lfos per track can do CCs and program changes), similar vibe to octatrack which has 8 midi tracks, more lfos w/custom shapes

squarp

polyend Seq (i don't think it does LFOs though)

that new korg sq-64 is polyphonic and inexpensive

there's others but my brain is fogged

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Taupe Beats said:

Social Entropy Engine looks awesome. Wish I'd have ordered one when it was new ($1500 second hand currently, sheesh).

oh damn. had no idea.. though they were still being made. 

there's also that little one.. ugh.. let me search for it.. .. the Oxi One

https://oxiinstruments.com/

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, ignatius said:

oh damn. had no idea.. though they were still being made. 

there's also that little one.. ugh.. let me search for it.. .. the Oxi One

https://oxiinstruments.com/

Yeah it was odd, they did an initial run that sold quickly, then implied they'd do another run and if they did it was very limited. Been sold out for a long time.

If you like step sequencers, I'm a huge fan of the MIDIbox SEQ v4.  If you can build one or find someone to build one (it's not actually nearly as tough as it looks, the hardest part is figuring out an enclosure and navigating the build documentation) it's well worth it, and if you make an acrylic panel instead of aluminum you can easily build the basic Wilba configuration for $400 or less (probably a lot less). I don't remember exactly how much it cost to make mine because I spread the build out over a couple years, but the front panel was by far the most expensive part at $180 and I remember it being nearly half the total cost.  I haven't added the CV/gate and network options yet, though.

They show up used occasionally but the price really depends on the options and enclosure - I've seen them go used for everything from $600 to over $2000).  This one looks decent, but on the expensive side, you could probably do better if you wait long enough and even if you paid someone to build a new one for you it would probably be comparable:

https://reverb.com/item/33352289-midibox-sequencer-seq-v4-2018-cherry-wood

Either way, the only way to get one at a relatively low price (and downright cheap for what it actually is) is to build it yourself, though.

EDIT: there's a partially built one up right now for $150 if you're feeling lucky.

Assuming there aren't any mistakes you could finish it for another $100 or so (the front panel PCB was something like $35 last I checked, plus parts- mostly switches and encoders), plus the cost of whatever enclosure you ended up choosing

Edited by TubularCorporation

I have a squid since recent and like a lot so far. If a Pyramid feels like overkill for the job however I'm afraid you might experience the same with this one. I'd recommend a Zaquencer. Should be half the price of a squid, can do all you asked for and is also more portable.

Behringer even announnced they'd re-release a new version,  but knowing them that could take another years(s).

• Like 1

This might be a weird recommendation but you could get a Norns and either use one of the existing apps or code up your own that does exactly what you want. I can't think of many things more capable for the size.

A run of the shield version is open for preorder right now, supposed to ship in July: https://market.monome.org/

Full disclosure: I hang out with monome-adjacent people on the innernets so I'm kinda biased.

• Like 2