IGNORED

Caustic Window - Phlaps DAT tape from 1994

Rob

always wondered if the infamous "microphone in a blender"/"sandpaper on turntable" live set was sampled in this track. can't get it out of my head ????

• Haha 1

I wonder what the odds are that it works.  IIRC the average shelf life of a dat in normal conditions was (according to preservationists) about 18 months, they're just about the least reliable format ever.

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

I wonder what the odds are that it works.  IIRC the average shelf life of a dat in normal conditions was (according to preservationists) about 18 months, they're just about the least reliable format ever.

The various 'archived' tracks FSOL have released in the last 15 years are almost entirely recorded from their DAT mixes in the '90s, think Brian is still uncovering them. So some of them have lasted 25 years.

• Thanks 1

It's possible, but then it's also possible for them to start losing data in a few months, same as CR-Rs.  I've had pretty good luck with CD-R though, it was my main archival format from about 1998 to the late 2000s and I'd estimate less than 10% of them got corrupted in storage (and the one that did usually lasted at least 5 years before they started to develop problems, and even when they did most of the files were recoverable).  Which is pretty decent for CD-R.

There is no such thing as an archival digital medium yet, and it's a huge problem.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

It's possible, but then it's also possible for them to start losing data in a few months, same as CR-Rs.  I've had pretty good luck with CD-R though, it was my main archival format from about 1998 to the late 2000s and I'd estimate less than 10% of them got corrupted in storage (and the one that did usually lasted at least 5 years before they started to develop problems, and even when they did most of the files were recoverable).  Which is pretty decent for CD-R.

There is no such thing as an archival digital medium yet, and it's a huge problem.

Previously known the ephemeral 'life' of DAT storage but..... 

.....let me tell you that i tried to buy a copy of Caustic Window test pressing LP 2 months ago (my offer was 1/4 of the request, because the owner doesn't need to sell it so...hope he will change his mind lol) and actually on hunt for a copy of AB5 /// nerd collector i know ?

• Like 1