Some more info about Mu variant:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210909/mu-covid-variant-qa

If the Mu variant (B.1.621) is the most immune evasive we've seen in the pandemic, as a lab study preprint suggests, then why is it being displaced by Delta?
Delta's transmissibility overrides Mu's immune evasion (as it did Beta).

Since Mu has mutations from both the Delta and Beta variants – is that a reason for concern?

Piedra: This raises the question of whether this variant is going to be more resistant to antibodies generated by the vaccine.

That was always a major concern for the Beta lineage. But for whatever reason, it did not seem to be as fit as the Delta variant in the U.S. and worldwide. Delta replaced everything.

It goes to show you that, at a particular time and at a particular place, there is a variant that seems to be a better fit [that is able to become dominant] because it is the perfect variant at the perfect time.

The question is: Is the Mu variant going to be like that, and the answer is we don't know. So we need to keep track of it and look for the early signs of what will be the next wave when it comes.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1

Spent the last 2 weeks in Cardiff Wales for a work project. Very little masking happening there. Lots of coughing everywhere. Because of the tight restrictions on international travel (at least with the airline I’m flying on), I’ve had to test multiple times and log the results so that I can fly home without quarantine. It’s been interesting… Cardiff is fucking great btw.

Flying out from London tomorrow (currently staying near Heathrow) and it doesn’t seem a whole lot better here either. I’m almost clear. On my trip out, people were pretty good about masking but fuck me if every little kid or baby on that plane wasn’t sick as a dog. Not looking forward to the next 10 hours on the plane tomorrow ?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Some more info about Mu variant:

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210909/mu-covid-variant-qa

If the Mu variant (B.1.621) is the most immune evasive we've seen in the pandemic, as a lab study preprint suggests, then why is it being displaced by Delta?
Delta's transmissibility overrides Mu's immune evasion (as it did Beta).

Expand  

Since Mu has mutations from both the Delta and Beta variants – is that a reason for concern?

Piedra: This raises the question of whether this variant is going to be more resistant to antibodies generated by the vaccine.

That was always a major concern for the Beta lineage. But for whatever reason, it did not seem to be as fit as the Delta variant in the U.S. and worldwide. Delta replaced everything.

It goes to show you that, at a particular time and at a particular place, there is a variant that seems to be a better fit [that is able to become dominant] because it is the perfect variant at the perfect time.

The question is: Is the Mu variant going to be like that, and the answer is we don't know. So we need to keep track of it and look for the early signs of what will be the next wave when it comes

great. are we still in "the before times?"

55 minutes ago, ignatius said:

wtf.

i have discovered a near perfect way to predict modern american history. imagine the dumbest thing that can happen, and it will probably be that.

Screenshot_20210911-160744_Chrome.thumb.jpg.ba775ce8a0090ef0cab00f94a616c03d.jpg

august 2021 is worse than august 2020.

but now it's a lot more younger people

Edited by very honest
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, very honest said:

great. are we still in "the before times?"

Seems that way yeah. It's still a big question what will happen with this variant. But I thought it was useful for them to at least address why it isn't blowing up immediately if it's such a big threat. I had forgotten about the Beta variant and all that. But yeah it's still very much "wait and see" with this one unfortunately

• Like 1

DeSantis said he doesn't remember vaccine lies from press conference speaker standing next to him

1 hour ago, Rubin Farr said:

9BDB66CD-4A4B-43A3-97EB-D6290C40F5B8.jpeg

Spoiler

DeSantis said he doesn't remember vaccine lies from press conference speaker standing next to him 

• Burger 3

Living upstairs of a bar. it's full of unmasked people lots of the time...

Taking distances from a friend who is now a radical anti-vaxx conspirationist and basically scares me.

Cases in Québec oscillating between 500-1000 a day now. Shit is going down in Alberta. I was pretty optimistic at the start of summer but now....

This aint over.

This virus is still being underestimated. Going back to hermit/nohandshake/nohug/notevenafukenfistbump mode.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-covid-alberta-fourth-wave-1.6175012

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

people are snorting and gargling w/betadine. 

https://www.menshealth.com/health/a37597465/betadine-iodine-covid-antivaxxer-treament/?utm_campaign=socialflowTWMH&utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social-media

Iodine was once a popular treatment for your typical cut and scratch, and now anti-vaxx circles are claiming that gargling or snorting it works as a preventive for Covid-19.

Povidone iodine, known commercially as Betadine, is typically used on the skin as a first aid treatment or a disinfectant for surgery prep. The brand has also introduced a 0.5% mouth rinse meant to treat a mild sore throat, not prevent Covid.

On Sept. 8th, a Twitter user claiming to be an ER doctor tweeted "Don’t get Covid. Prophylaxis is not that hard. Also nasal spray with a couple of drops [betadine] in it," alongside an image of assorted vitamins. "And gargle with original Listerine," they added, garnering over 270 retweets and plenty of questions.

Several Facebook and Twitter users have also touted Betadine as gargle or nasal spray additive as a means of preventing COVID, one claiming to use it "every time they've been exposed," citing a 2020 study co-authored by a plastic surgeon.

"Iodine is a disinfectant," says William Schaffner, M.D., professor of preventive medicine at Vanderbilt University Medical Center. "Its use has [slowed down] because even on scratches and cuts, its effectiveness has been debated. There's no data that this would be effective for Covid."

• Facepalm 2
  • Big Brain 1

18 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Living upstairs of a bar. it's full of unmasked people lots of the time...

Taking distances from a friend who is now a radical anti-vaxx conspirationist and basically scares me.

Cases in Québec oscillating between 500-1000 a day now. Shit is going down in Alberta. I was pretty optimistic at the start of summer but now....

This aint over.

This virus is still being underestimated. Going back to hermit/nohandshake/nohug/notevenafukenfistbump mode.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/deena-hinshaw-covid-alberta-fourth-wave-1.6175012

Jesus wept Alberta is a shit show. Good memories growing up in Edmonton but fuck the rest of that province. (Not you Stevie G, luv u babby).

just biked in to say i've been wearing the same mask i bought in poland in january of 2020 (when i thought this was actually scary watching chinese footage). never had a test. not jabbed. went to two soccer games at mercedes benz stadium and didn't wear a mask in the last week. not sick. not dead.

just do what the good dr says:

• Burger 1
  • Big Brain 2