one of my nephews who's vax'd and lives in florida the other day said "covid is over man. lit's DONE"  and i didn't say shit because i've gone around in circles w/him before.

mask mandates are non-existent in florida for months now so things are pretty much 'normal' though lot's of people still wearing masks in places (thankfully) but people are going to restaurants and doing all the normal things people do. in winter, as of probably october/november lot's of people head to south florida from northern states.. and then stay there thru the winter.. until march or so. 

if omicron is more transmissible, which appears that it is, then this all spells out to bad news.. even though also appears it's less deadly but that's still a lot of people who will have severe cases if not vax'd

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, psn said:

Stay home. 

i visited east coast family in october. so glad i did it then instead of holidays traveling..  fuck that.  i'll be surprised if there's not another big spike 2 weeks after the holidays. fingers crossed it turns out to be not as bad as is possible but i'm staying home and dog sitting for a friend who's traveling by car for holiday family stuff. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, dcom said:

The local health authorities in Helsinki have declared ready state 3, the same used when the pandemic began - and what is used in wartime - so the situation is spiraling out of control.

Kind of funny they do this in Helsinki which isn't even the hardest hit area in Finland currently. Of the bigger cities Oulu is worse and they basically just said that all the vaccinations are stopped for the holidays so the medical staff can have some vacation time.. Some of the small towns are much much worse, but there a few cases can send the cases per population count skyrocketing.

Meanwhile all the bars, restaurants, etc still remain open all over the country. Only in some places you need the corona passport.

Well, personally I've stopped making any predictions how the pandemic progresses. So not going into go that.

its going to be endemic. The control being ceded to governments is alarming. Being endemic means the governments will always push for more control. Its kind of frightening. Everyone documented and followed. Can't go anywhere unless you've been cleared. You willll carry a card.  It's Logans run

1 hour ago, marf said:

its going to be endemic. The control being ceded to governments is alarming. Being endemic means the governments will always push for more control. Its kind of frightening. Everyone documented and followed. Can't go anywhere unless you've been cleared. You willll carry a card.  It's Logans run

if it was logan's run all the olds would be long dead. 

gov't control varies a lot by country and is largely temporary or tightens then loosens based on the science. 

we're still pretty far from THX1138.

when Alexa is an android then we'll see.. 

Edited by ignatius

4 hours ago, marf said:

Saw a doctor on CNN saying the world needs to psychologically prepare for an endemic age. 

6 hours ago, marf said:

its going to be endemic. 

that's been pretty clear for a while

6 hours ago, marf said:

Being endemic means the governments will always push for more control.

(most) 'governments' are composed of representatives of the general population, and always vastly outnumbered. 'they' will only ever have as much control as the general population allows of them.

6 hours ago, marf said:

Everyone documented and followed. Can't go anywhere unless you've been cleared. You willll carry a card.

this has been the case for decades in many countries, where most all of us online are posting from. i don't like it nor do i want to see it get any worse, but blaming COVID isn't really valid here (at least not yet).

anyway came here to post this:

https://twitter.com/i/status/1471907339397738502

• Like 1

Shit aint over till its over.

WHO said 4-5 years at least, at the start of pandemic, and it seems that still hold. Politicians have been selling the end of Covid way too soon (''now its fine we're through'' like every 3 months lol ) I think the way its been sold that way is playing with some people mind. Hopes gets real high and gets crushed real hard everytime.

Im personally minded it may last 5 more years or even 10 years and if it doesnt the better that will be a nice surprise.

Pandemics arent a walk in the park and to mind oneself for long term is better than being deceived by over-optimistic politicians that say every couple of months that its finished.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Shit aint over till its over.

WHO said 4-5 years at least, at the start of pandemic, and it seems that still hold. Politicians have been selling the end of Covid way too soon (''now its fine we're through'' like every 3 months lol ) I think the way its been sold that way is playing with some people mind. Hopes gets real high and gets crushed real hard everytime.

Im personally minded it may last 5 more years or even 10 years and if it doesnt the better that will be a nice surprise.

Pandemics arent a walk in the park and to mind oneself for long term is better than being deceived by over-optimistic politicians that say every couple of months that its finished.

seems totally dependent on what happens w/the variants. if they get less deadly but more infectious it'll eventually end up like the flu. no idea how long that would take. 

if the west can help get the rest of the world vaccinated it'll help of course. but we'll see. year 3 is just around the corner. 

USA still averaging 1000 deaths per day. in 3 weeks the serge in cases will balloon from holiday travel. many unvax'd people will end up in hospital. many will die. 

i remember reading more than once an epidemiologist saying that basically everyone who's not vaccinated will eventually get infected. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ignatius said:

i remember reading more than once an epidemiologist saying that basically everyone who's not vaccinated will eventually get infected. 

And for a couple of weeks now they're saying everyone will eventually get infected by Omicron.

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, psn said:

And for a couple of weeks now they're saying everyone will eventually get infected by Omicron.

[oprah "you're getting it and you're getting and you're getting!" handing out breakthrough infections gif]

oprah-gif-you-get-a-7.gif

future herman cain award winner. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Farnsworth 1

On 12/15/2021 at 7:12 PM, brian trageskin said:

update: holy shit, i just heard my brother telling my mom over the phone that he's not vaccinated and bought a fake health pass. his wife is strongly opposed to covid vaccines and won't get vaccinated either. they both had covid last year and have a 2-year old child together. holy fuck.

no one gives a shit but i heard wrong: talked with my mom, bro didn't buy a fake health pass, he used a friend's pass and posed as them to go to the restaurant or some shit. also she informed me that those who tested positive to covid were given health passes by the government, which expire after a certain time. which i knew nothing about since i stopped looking into covid-related info ages ago. 

also i just found out that EU countries had their borders open to tourists. which is good to know since i've thought of wwoofing abroad (probably not gonna do it but at least it's possible).

also i just spent the last 3 days arguing with her about the whole covid situation, among other things, which nearly got me kicked out of her place a few times already. not that i really give a shit anyway. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ignatius said:

seems totally dependent on what happens w/the variants. if they get less deadly but more infectious it'll eventually end up like the flu. no idea how long that would take. 

if the west can help get the rest of the world vaccinated it'll help of course. but we'll see. year 3 is just around the corner. 

USA still averaging 1000 deaths per day. in 3 weeks the serge in cases will balloon from holiday travel. many unvax'd people will end up in hospital. many will die. 

Yeah who knows? i hope this Omicron situation will help rich countries understand that we truly are in this together globally, we cant have that many people unvaxed, share the damn vaxx.

Man the current surge was so QUICK, its quite insane.

From 500 to 3800 daily cases in a very short time in Québec.

Omicron is a bad motherfucker.

Sure am worried about hospitals and my unvaxed mom. Already hearing about people i know, or their friends catching it a lot more than 1 month ago.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

I’m double masking when going outside, surge is starting to hit Florida. DeSantis has done everything in his power this year to keep people from being safe, this Winter could be bad. Might take off work and bunker down, we’ll see how it goes, soon.

• Like 2