Covid cases is exploding here omicron is getting everywhere.

Mom still unvaccinated. Tried to convince her. Cant talk her out of her BS anti vaxx mindset.

Fucking antivaxx BS spreading around i hope my mom wont die in a respirator because of you...

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

On 12/21/2021 at 7:52 PM, brian trageskin said:

my mom: i don't want no covid vaccine, they don't protect you 100%

me: it's raining outside, someone's giving you for free an umbrella with holes in it, and you're refusing it because it's imperfect? 

I feel you brother.

Moms when they enter dumb mode jesus fkin UGHHHHHHHHH

I saw my mom struggling with my granpa wanting to drive at 80 and being a danger to all that cross his path and not wanting to move out even if granma wasnt autonomous anymore and im like ''Mom you dealt with your parent old people BS and youre doing this to me?? get the damn shot!''

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Mom still unvaccinated. Tried to convince her. Cant talk her out of her BS anti vaxx mindset.

Fucking antivaxx BS spreading around i hope my mom wont die in a respirator because of you...

Seeing more people on the street coughing, hacking and wheezing. January is gonna be rough.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, thefxbip said:

the actions against anti vax citizens will be the wests biggest issue with CV 19 in ‘22. patience will run out, as money + sympathy does too. in those less vaccinated countries, international efforts to assist will be hampered by further rounds of the west keeping their own countries heading closer to the right direction. more new variants, more concerns about protection and pressures. two steps forwards, one step back. or something like that.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2021 at 5:03 AM, logboy said:

the actions against anti vax citizens will be the wests biggest issue with CV 19 in ‘22. patience will run out, as money + sympathy does too. in those less vaccinated countries, international efforts to assist will be hampered by further rounds of the west keeping their own countries heading closer to the right direction. more new variants, more concerns about protection and pressures. two steps forwards, one step back. or something like that.

Yeah... but then again lots of country dont have access to lots of vaccines. Variants will keep just popping up wherever there is lots of contagion.

New variants man...now we know that omicron fucks with the vaccine efficiency...and look at the cases and hospitals struggling...

The thought that even worse variants (and its pretty clear there WILL be new variants as the cases are surging as bad as they are now) could basically destroy vaccines even more and annihilate whatever progress was made is quite scary.

I think the main problem is that we are facing a motherfucking powerful virus really, we are not its match yet, we can blame it on people and circumstances etc and such but at the end of the day it comes down to that. The virus is a hard motherfucker and is beating our ass. We are giving a honorable fight but damn this thing is not easy to beat on global scale.

16 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

New variants man...now we know that omicron fucks with the vaccine efficiency...and look at the cases and hospitals struggling...

there's more details in the numbers. yes it's definitely exploding in cases but a small part of the cases are because everyone who goes into the hospital for anything is being tested so many asymptomatic people who test positive are being discovered. at all age ranges including children.  so, a kid who goes to get stitches for a wound or someone breaks a leg or gets in a car crash then goes to hospital.. they're testing everyone.. 

however, it seems omicron is less deadly than delta. it's much more transmissible but is less deadly in vaccinated people. it outkirts the vaccine but then does less damage.. typically. not always but overwhelmingly it's less deadly. many vaccinated/boosted people are having breakthrough cases but are just getting the sniffles essentially. less than a bad flu. some more severe symptoms but nothing like delta. 

time will tell of course. 

but what usually happens w/viruses is they get less deadly and more transmissible so the most transmissible variant out completes the more deadly variants which is what appears to be happening w/omicron and delta. omicron is i think now the dominant variant. 

hopefully the trend continues w/less deadly variants emerging as more vaccines are made available to other countries. that's where the most good can be done i think... getting as many vaccines as possible to other countries where vaccination rates are low. 

time will tell though.. and i won't be surprised if it goes totally differently than expected.  i read somewhere that omicron is basically as transmissible as the measles and it can be spread easily in the air. 

• Like 5

I know 6 people who tested positive for Covid in the last week !!!!! 
Two of them were at the same family Christmas dinner I attended.  That was 8 days ago, and neither me, my mom, my brother, his wife or my nephew have any symptoms yet.  So we're probably in the clear.  

Also, one of the people who tested positive needed to take the test 3 times before he got the positive reading (he had such a brutal cold that he wasn't convinced of negative readings - needed to go to hospital for respiratory problems).  So... that's not very reassuring.

• Sad 2

On 1/1/2022 at 5:41 PM, ignatius said:

there's more details in the numbers. yes it's definitely exploding in cases but a small part of the cases are because everyone who goes into the hospital for anything is being tested so many asymptomatic people who test positive are being discovered. at all age ranges including children.  so, a kid who goes to get stitches for a wound or someone breaks a leg or gets in a car crash then goes to hospital.. they're testing everyone.. 

however, it seems omicron is less deadly than delta. it's much more transmissible but is less deadly in vaccinated people. it outkirts the vaccine but then does less damage.. typically. not always but overwhelmingly it's less deadly. many vaccinated/boosted people are having breakthrough cases but are just getting the sniffles essentially. less than a bad flu. some more severe symptoms but nothing like delta. 

time will tell of course. 

but what usually happens w/viruses is they get less deadly and more transmissible so the most transmissible variant out completes the more deadly variants which is what appears to be happening w/omicron and delta. omicron is i think now the dominant variant. 

hopefully the trend continues w/less deadly variants emerging as more vaccines are made available to other countries. that's where the most good can be done i think... getting as many vaccines as possible to other countries where vaccination rates are low. 

time will tell though.. and i won't be surprised if it goes totally differently than expected.  i read somewhere that omicron is basically as transmissible as the measles and it can be spread easily in the air. 

I’ve read Omicron has an R nought 10, which means every person can infect on average 10 people. Measles can be an R 12-18. Bats are the prime suspect for the next viral outbreak, but pangolins are also extremely disease ridden. The virus could hypothetically evolve either way, but what they should stress in the scientific community, is this will not be the last pandemic humanity faces, and this is an unprecedented opportunity for the world to see the value of collective preparation for that next pandemic outbreak.

https://www.livescience.com/64727-measles-contagious.html

• Like 1

Arguably, Omikron might be our saviour. It might have turned this corona variant into something way more harmless (because it doesn't impact the lungs (and/or kidneys and other organs even) like previous variants did, but instead, remains in the higher air pathways like a normal cold - which is why it's more transmissible.). First signs are that even with the higher transmission-rate, the absolute amount of people needing to go to the hospital might still be lower.

*crosses fingers *

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Arguably, Omikron might be our saviour. It might have turned this corona variant into something way more harmless (because it doesn't impact the lungs (and/or kidneys and other organs even) like previous variants did, but instead, remains in the higher air pathways like a normal cold - which is why it's more transmissible.). First signs are that even with the higher transmission-rate, the absolute amount of people needing to go to the hospital might still be lower.

*crosses fingers *

wait till you see what bill gates and george soros have in store next in the greek alphabet

they've been cooking stuff up in a refrigerator in hell's kitchen, ny

the military knows all about it but they are waiting until bat season in the amazon

first they will push the masses to register to vote. this is how you will know that they are trying to correlate your data. whatever you do, don't register.

• Farnsworth 1

5 minutes ago, trying to be less rude said:

wait till you see what bill gates and george soros have in store next in the greek alphabet

they've been cooking stuff up in a refrigerator in hell's kitchen, ny

the military knows all about it but they are waiting until bat season in the amazon

first they will push the masses to register to vote. this is how you will know that they are trying to correlate your data. whatever you do, don't register.

did you happen to attend a holiday gathering recently in which a chemically scented drink labeled "kool-aid" was being given to the attendees?

13 minutes ago, zero said:

did you happen to attend a holiday gathering recently in which a chemically scented drink labeled "kool-aid" was being given to the attendees?

maybe i shouldn't have put that red pill in my ass

• Farnsworth 1

20 hours ago, Rubin Farr said:

I’ve read Omicron has an R nought 10, which means every person can infect on average 10 people. Measles can be an R 12-18. Bats are the prime suspect for the next viral outbreak, but pangolins are also extremely disease ridden. The virus could hypothetically evolve either way, but what they should stress in the scientific community, is this will not be the last pandemic humanity faces, and this is an unprecedented opportunity for the world to see the value of collective preparation for that next pandemic outbreak.

https://www.livescience.com/64727-measles-contagious.html

people on the whole are very much clutching at straws in hoping it’s evolving itself out of causing as much damage. omicron is more infectious but seems to bring less death. but … you’d still have massive hospitalisations and deaths as it’s a swings + roundabouts situation because it’s always a percentage, and a small percentage of deaths of a much higher number of infections is still a huge figure. reinfection can’t be avoided either.

psychologically, UK is a small country with a sense of global influence and importance, doesn’t see why it’s faltered or is failing but imagines elsewhere is letting us down by falling behind when we aren’t as good as we imagine at all this … the USA struggles with a global perspective and sees it as a state by state issue too. it will remain tangled and unpredictable, flawed, inevitably.

i suspect people in news and society at large are also frequently emphasising one aspect of omicron (lighter symptoms) and downplaying the other (infection rates) in hope of feeling it’s over, giving others a similar impression, creating false hope. would imagine a cycle of this for a long time to come, as vaccination rates aren’t as high as they at first appear - plenty of countries still to get going or are resistant to it, used to other techniques for coping - so variants of concern will be a norm, even if most restrictions and mechanisms eventually melt away, with covid probably never eradicated but endemic globally. i’m also expecting revised vaccines and further boosters in spring (march / april, in UK) and eventually one every year like annual flu one is, but for over 18s or teens and older.

they're talking about the 'decoupling' of number of cases from hospitalizations. the rates are changing.. so, fewer people who get infected will need to be hospitalized.. though SOOOOOOO many people are being infected that there will likely be more hospitalizations than previous surges. 

1 million new cases in USA. unvax'd people going to get hit hard of course. 

• Sad 1

My friend wanted to go to spiderman last week but I decided on not going... I'm sure the theatre would be perfect breeding grounds for covid. Especially because the seating there is back to normal and not spaced out. Only a matter of time before quarantine rules like 2 years ago.

Fear :fear:

• Like 1

@yekker @Zephyr_Nova and anyone else from around here or who is interested in the situation on the island: 

https://www.capitaldaily.ca/news/vancouver-island-omicron-covid-fifth-wave

It's a bit long but it covers a few points and is worth reading.

It's dated December 20th, obviously cases have exploded since then. If any policies have changed since then (have they? lol), the article illuminates the failures that led to the state we're in now.

fwiw I had my booster on the 30th but I am still being extremely cautious (aka antisocial) and sort of hibernating. It's nuts out there. Seems like most people either have no idea this is going on, or just don't care. The incompetence of our "leaders" doesn't help...

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Thanks 1

It's been 19 days since we tested positive; isolated completely for 10 days, ordered foodstuffs and pharmaceuticals with home delivery. Both adults (w/ two shots) had medium-severity sniffles, minor throat issues and a sporadic cough, slight fever, no loss of taste or smell; 1y10m kid had a bit more severe symptoms, fever peaked at 39.5 C/103 F during a couple of nights, rather nasty nasal/sinus congestion and coughing. I home-tested negative after 7 days, SO was still positive at that point. None of us have any symptoms anymore, so we got off easy. Infection numbers are still breaking all previous records here in Finland due to omicron, but healthcare is managing it - there hasn't been a huge surge of patients requiring hospitalization, most probably due to almost 84 % of the over-12y population being vaccinated twice, almost 88 % at least once, third round ongoing at about 25 % - most infections are like ours, nothing too severe and manageable in home isolation.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 5
  • Farnsworth 1

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

@yekker @Zephyr_Nova and anyone else from around here or who is interested in the situation on the island: 

https://www.capitaldaily.ca/news/vancouver-island-omicron-covid-fifth-wave

Ahh, that definitely explains it.  No fluke that I suddenly know 10 people who now have it.  I visited my old place today to visit a few friends, and they made me wear a mask the whole time because I'm not in their bubble and saw other people over the holidays.  That's the right way to do it.  But... almost nobody is that cautious around here, or anywhere from the sounds of it.

• Big Brain 1

Starting last week almost my entire family got infected with covid-19.
Myself, my so, my brother, my sister, my mother, and my father.
But also a couple of my nephews and nieces. (maybe also an aunt or an uncle, not sure)
I can only assume it is/was the omicron-variant, based on its speed, spread, and non-lethality.
The fast spread of this variant is very very impressive from what I can tell.
It spread through our family like wildfire.
We did many many self-tests, but it seems that wasn't enough.
From what I can tell in the first days you may actually not feel sick and may not even test positive on a self-test, but may actually already be able to spread the variant.
Well, that's how I make sense out of the spread.
I'm not sure how it could have spread so far and wide otherwise.
Anyway, the next day or a few days later you might get some symptoms or even feel quite sick.
The severity varies very wildly it seems. Some people feel sick for just 1 day, while others will have multiple symptoms over several days and might only be back to health after a week up to 10 days. Not sure about hospitalizations or lethality.
Full vaccination probably keeps the severity and length in check. I'm not sure about boosters. I have no idea how severe it could get if one's not vaccinated.
Beginning of the 5th wave (omicron-wave) in Belgium.
My so had the following symptoms: fatigue and consisting cough worsened by asthma, diarrhea.
I had the following symptoms: some fever, nightly sweating, heavy body ache, headache, sore throat, some coughing.
We both quarantined for 10 days. We're both ok now. Most of my family is ok as well, except for my father whose still quite ill.

Edited by MaartenVC
  • Like 4