A Canadian study that vastly underestimated the protection COVID-19 vaccines provide against the Omicron variant is being revised — but not before it spread widely on social media by anti-vaxxers, academics and even the creators of the Russian Sputnik V vaccine.

A recent report from the Imperial College London COVID-19 response team found that while Omicron largely evades immunity from prior infection and two doses provided just zero to 20 per cent protection, three doses increased that to between 55 and 80 per cent. 

That means the updated preprint could end up showing that protection against Omicron infection is more than twice as high as initially reported.

I've been going on those original numbers so this is kinda good to hear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/15/2022 at 6:40 AM, randomsummer said:

long covid, short covid dick.

prefer to get neither but is one worse than the other? 

covid shortens your dick?!

*retreats to bunker for the rest of his life*

sick burn

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

Got my booster shot on Sunday. Immediately got a case of sinusitis the next day. I think my 5g upgrade went glitchy. halp?

it's probably because the frequencies are shared w/the airline's communication systems

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

shitpost. wtf.  they sent out  alink to nazi shit + covid misinformation etc. we're in the dumbest timeline. someone make a fucking wormhole already. 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

12 minutes ago, ignatius said:

shitpost. wtf.  they sent out  alink to nazi shit + covid misinformation etc. we're in the dumbest timeline. someone make a fucking wormhole already. 

Fuck dude. I gotta find my old cassingle of I’m Too Sexy and burn it now… or sell it for $1000 to some far right shitbrain. 

• Farnsworth 1

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

it's probably because the frequencies are shared w/the airline's communication systems

Thanks, I don’t know why I didn’t think of this. Seems so obvious. 

• Like 2

16 hours ago, J3FF3R00 said:

Fuck dude. I gotta find my old cassingle of I’m Too Sexy and burn it now… or sell it for $1000 to some far right shitbrain. 

Film yourself burning it and turn that into an NFT

• Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 2

Had a coworker get threatened with a gun for asking a customer to put on a mask yesterday. :cerious:

I guess the owners called the police to file a report and they were ... drumroll please ... totally unhelpful.  

• Sad 2
  • Facepalm 3
  • Farnsworth 1

15 minutes ago, luke viia said:

Had a coworker get threatened with a gun for asking a customer to put on a mask yesterday. :cerious:

I guess the owners called the police to file a report and they were ... drumroll please ... totally unhelpful.  

Black Kid Laughing GIF - Black Kid Laughing - Discover & Share GIFs

• Like 1

I kinda feel like now the unspoken mentality is that we might as well all just get COVID and "get it over with" as if it's part of the path to "the end of the pandemic" and this fantasy of "herd immunity".

Is there any actual evidence to support this kind of thinking?  Health officials have suggested that there's some kind of "super immunity" that comes from being vaccinated + getting a breakthrough case of COVID. But considering we have no idea what new variants will do, I see this is as little more than their latest effort to soothe people who are already at the breaking point. But in the long term it helps no one - we all thought it was "almost over" with two shots of the vaccine, which was rapidly disproven by Omicron - every time we get our hopes up like this, it leads to poorer handling of the next wave.

This is such a fucked up time right now. It's more contagious than ever, hospitals are filling up, testing has completely gone to shit, and contact tracing has been replaced by "assume that you are already a close contact of someone with COVID". Yet I feel like I'm one of the only people still taking it seriously and I wonder if I'm just not supposed to care anymore?

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 6

On 1/24/2022 at 8:57 PM, toaoaoad said:

I kinda feel like now the unspoken mentality is that we might as well all just get COVID and "get it over with" as if it's part of the path to "the end of the pandemic" and this fantasy of "herd immunity".

Is there any actual evidence to support this kind of thinking?  Health officials have suggested that there's some kind of "super immunity" that comes from being vaccinated + getting a breakthrough case of COVID. But considering we have no idea what new variants will do, I see this is as little more than their latest effort to soothe people who are already at the breaking point. But in the long term it helps no one - we all thought it was "almost over" with two shots of the vaccine, which was rapidly disproven by Omicron - every time we get our hopes up like this, it leads to poorer handling of the next wave.

This is such a fucked up time right now. It's more contagious than ever, hospitals are filling up, testing has completely gone to shit, and contact tracing has been replaced by "assume that you are already a close contact of someone with COVID". Yet I feel like I'm one of the only people still taking it seriously and I wonder if I'm just not supposed to care anymore?

I think this video does a pretty good job on explaining where we are now.

Some explanations about various mutations. Plus a bunch of comparisons between them. Some explanation about the current variants of Omikron that are out there. Some arguments on whether or not we should be worried. And to what extent.

His comparison with what is basically a family tree is also helpful in this regard, imo. It makes the idea of all these different variants out there a bit more relatable, if that makes sense. ? 

My take away:

- omikron spreads so fast, there's nothing to do against. we'll all be exposed to it one way or another

- thankfully, covid is way more mild than the earlier variants. in many countries where there's an explosion of omikron cases, the amount of people actually ending up in ICU is declining. (eg. denmark, uk, south africa) (US tends to be a bit different because of the quality of the healthcare system and social/cultural aspects like the prevalence of obese people, for instance and the accessibility of unhealthy nutrition )

- after omikron, your immune system is as best equipped as possible to be able to deal with other more severe variants like delta

Of course, for people with some immuno deficiency it's a different story.

Most of this, if not all, is covered in the video below. And as always, it's a talking head on youtube, so remain vigilant. ? But I'm willing to go with this one.

The most intelligent, informative and rational video ive ever seen on covid.

This is not over man.

I'm reading everywhere ''omicron is mild'' ''covid soon over'' ''lets reopen''

''virus is getting milder''

lol

The denial of reality is just insane.

Yet people are dying at quicker rate and hospitalization are on the rise and health system is crashing.

And there WILL BE more variants. Omicron has spread like crazy.

People just cant accept this is a long war we are into. Since the very beginning all is being said by politicians is ''just a few more weeks''

We need to think in terms of YEARS ahead in terms of planning and minding ourselves to battle covid.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Best video ive ever seen on covid 

this IS NOT OVER

im reading everywhere ''omicron is mild'' ''covid soon over'' ''lets reopen''

Yet people are dying at quicker rate and hospitalization are on the rise and health system is crashing.

And there WILL BE more variants.

The denial is insane. People just cant accept this is a long war we are into.

I wish I could send this to my friends without them going "ohh it's so long and it's probably paid shill scientists anyways" :catcry:

great video, thanks bippo

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

The most intelligent, informative and rational video ive ever seen on covid.

This is not over man.

I'm reading everywhere ''omicron is mild'' ''covid soon over'' ''lets reopen''

lol

The denial of reality is just insane.

Are you talking about the US specifically? The part about people dying at quicker rate and rising hospitalisations is def not something universal. In Europe countries are opening up again. And the US appears to look a few steps behind the curve wrt Omikron. And also in terms of rate of people being vaxxed, btw. The Vax rate in the US is relatively poor. 

Don't put this on denial of reality please. Reality is a very timely/local thing. 

I understand people being annoyed with false hope, but there's def a different reality over the pond.

And yes, corona is here to stay. Haven't seen anyone arguing otherwise.

Also note that presentation was specifically aimed at the US situation. Which, to me, explains the focus on the importance of vaccines and boosters. Makes sense to focus on the importance if the vax-rate is as low as it currently is in the US.

And his disclosure at the start of the presentation isn't unimportant either, btw. 

Edited by Satans Little Helper

15 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Are you talking about the US specifically? The part about people dying at quicker rate and rising hospitalisations is def not something universal. In Europe countries are opening up again. And the US appears to look a few steps behind the curve wrt Omikron. And also in terms of rate of people being vaxxed, btw. The Vax rate in the US is relatively poor. 

Don't put this on denial of reality please. Reality is a very timely/local thing. 

I understand people being annoyed with false hope, but there's def a different reality over the pond.

And yes, corona is here to stay. Haven't seen anyone arguing otherwise.

Also note that presentation was specifically aimed at the US situation. And his disclosure at the start of the presentation isn't unimportant either, btw. 

Talking about US i guess but also Canada. We got hit pretty bad in Montreal.

I dont know man but Covid seems to not give a damn about locality. It travels fast and quick. Until its controlled everywhere its not truly under control. 

No country is truly isolated in the Covid business. Different reality? not so sure about that. I mean last summer. Last summer everything seems to be going to be very chill in a lot of places and then boom. Omicron. Barely a few months and shit went down.

Im not a scientist, i dont know shit, but it seems to me that the policies sadly have been very short termed minded and constantly stressing that everything is going to be over soon when its obviously not the case.

And im looking at recent local news and they're still doing the same! 

There is a certain wishful thinking short term over-optimistic flavour to the whole deal that just feels not very responsible when you look at the facts that the virus is not under control at all.

Edited by thefxbip