8 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

OK, I want to respond, but there's a lot to unpack here. Your post is a compilation of facts, speculation and opinion. And it's all intertwined like a plate full of spaghetti bolognese. 

Example:

First the facts: you're not hearing plans for the next 5 years. OK, the explanation is pretty easy: planning suggest predictability. Or certainty. And we're simply not in a situation where you can predict how the world looks in 5 years time. Let alone plan on how to deal with it. This has nothing to do with a lack of consideration (that was speculation and or opinion on your part).

It's painfully obvious to various governments that some things are to stay for a while. (Like the climate crisis.) It was already mentioned at the first wave, I believe, by various political leaders around the globe that we were in a process where we would have to learn how to live with it (short and long term). And just as obvious was the conclusion that stuff like healthcare systems (eg. amount of available ICU) should be improved to the new situation (whatever this "situation" specifically is -> note the importance of specificity to be able to actually make a reasonable plan). But this also impacts economies and businesses. Remember the panic about the availability of face masks in those early months of the crisis? That's another component that needs to be addressed. Lets assume there are many more. 

Also note that while everyone is following the media hype, few are aware of the steps already being taken. Why? Because normal politics is boring and not clickbait-worthy! Yes, we're all clickbait sheep complaining about stuff we don't have a clue about.

So in the meantime, various countries have actually implemented plans - and in some cases executed - to localise certain high risk industries. Do you see that in the news? Perhaps. My guess, only if you know where to look. And if you do, it's easy to forget with all the other noise.

Also note that the news focusses on the stuff that bad. The good is not interesting. As it is assumed to be obvious. Nobody's interested in reading that today the traffic lights performed perfectly, right? You only read about traffic lights when something went horribly wrong. Again, just stating the obvious.

And another factor is the variance between various countries. Not every government (country) is the same. Perhaps your local government is exactly as you describe. But in that case, I can only assure you that your local government is not a good representation of all governments. In which case  this generalised "lack" wouldn't be general at all.

Other than that, we can't tell what is "normal"  in 5 years time. This was also the exact same conclusion of the video you posted earlier. It was in big bold letters. Something like "WE DON'T KNOW" or "WE CAN'T...". Or something along those lines. Finishing with a remark about not believing anyone telling you otherwise.

I hope you understand you can't just make plans on how to deal with the situation in 5 years time in a situation like that. Especially when the risk/impact of making the wrong plans is huge. As any investment will be huge. Don't forget you're talking about limited budgets. If you spend more budget on ICU capacity, you have to spend less on other parts of the budget. (schools?) Also note this stuff is highly political in the sense that there are many stakeholders and important issues. And there needs to be a reasonable equilibrium between all this "stuff". Governments are forced to move budgets from one important issue to another. And yes, that does require "deep" plans. 

Don't expect those deep plans to be published soon though. Even if those plans are currently finished. Which I doubt. It takes time. And yes, there's an argument that it requires too much time. In which case I will point to all your fellow citizens of your country with vastly different (opposing) opinions. Without those people, it's difficult to change things. 

Coming back to your "lack of consideration": often it's better to assume there's a lot of consideration at the governmental level. Unless you live in a completely corrupt country, that is. And that this sense of a lack of consideration is more a reflection of the political discourse, if you will. Which includes - as far as I'm concerned - the opinions of the general public. (Also note the impact of the media and it's publication bias: clickbait...conflict...etc)

Lastly, I know I have told you little you didn't already know.  And I suspect that your post has a strong emotional source, if you catch my drift. In that case, no explanation from me or anyone else would change that, I'm guessing. (or at least my wall of text wont) And perhaps this is more about coming to terms with the realisation that life will remain uncertain for the coming period. That's not just for governments. That also for us. Please note that governments can not just create certainty by force or magic. At least not when it comes to issues like corona or the climate. Also note that uncertain doesn't mean it can't change for the better.

Yeah mate im obviously ranting/venting the steam hahaha

You're right about all of this.

I just said all of that because I just cant stand being told that its ''soon to be all over back to normal'' every two months when it's obviously not true when i look at the global situation, levels of contagion, levels of vaccination worldwide. Might not be happening where you live but here, oh boy how often did we get variation on this theme.

Things do get better in some places and progress is being made with some issues but it is not done and over. It's what i mean when im talking of lack of long term plan. When a big peak or wave eases it does not mean we're back to normal still. But the way it is being communicated often implies it is. This happened quite a few times in Canada. In Alberta especially last summer, it was claimed that Covid and the pandemic were finished. What was meant to happen, happened, people acted recklessly and it was a fucking disaster. You can't act like a pandemic and the virus doesnt exist anymore when its still roaming around. It also creates unrealistic expectations in a lot of people that now we are done with covid and big frustrations when it comes back. So much so that we see people stop caring or giving a fuck when being let down time after time with such lies.

I think it's better to say ''hey we're doing decently but this aint over till its over and it might never be truly over but only get better and better with time, slowly''

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, ghsotword said:

I forgot what the name of this guy is but I trust his expert opinion that the virus will go away in April with the heat. I cant wait! April's quite soon!

almost choked on my food listening to this hahahaha

has a special kind of desperate beauty

I had to watch it three times.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

On 1/27/2022 at 3:46 AM, ghsotword said:

Neil Young was born in 1945 and the boomer generation is usually defined (e.g. in Wikipedia) as people born from 1946 to 1964. So I'd say Neil Young narrowly escaped being a boomer and belongs to the Silent Generation instead

Seems like a strange time to do this hair-splitting lol.  Even tho this is accurate, his fans are mostly boomers which is more what I was implying anyway (i.e. that only boomers would be impacted by his music being taken down - assuming they use spotify at all in the first place). For what it's worth, Joni was born in '43, and she has spoken out in the past about baby boomers as "my generation". I think that generation of artists/musicians is generally considered boomer even if some of them were technically born on the Silent side of the line. 

And these days "boomer" has become general slang for anyone vaguely "old" or out of touch, innit

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TubularCorporation said:

So am I the only person left who (probably) hasn't had it yet?

not had it either. suspecting lots of re-infections occurring, hinted at in press recently. omicron. expecting there are locations, lifestyles, that will gradually identify themselves as most likely places waves of infection spread to. i’m in a smallish town (circa 30K) that’s had around 50 deaths, half in care homes, afaik. don’t know about infection rates here, but do sense people gradually convince one another that as more have it and survive (which most always would) that deaths don’t seem so problematic and it’s not that bad after all . as has been said elsewhere, learning to live with covid is not the same as learning to die with covid. hundreds of deaths each day in the UK should not be acceptable and should be a scandal now rather than down the line when left to continue for months and years.

Edited by logboy

24 minutes ago, logboy said:

not had it either. suspecting lots of re-infections occurring, hinted at in press recently. omicron. expecting there are locations, lifestyles, that will gradually identify themselves as most likely places waves of infection spread to. i’m in a smallish town (circa 30K) that’s had around 50 deaths, half in care homes, afaik. don’t know about infection rates here, but do sense people gradually convince one another that as more have it and survive (which most always would) that deaths don’t seem so problematic and it’s not that bad after all . as has been said elsewhere, learning to live with covid is not the same as learning to die with covid. hundreds of deaths each day in the UK should not be acceptable and should be a scandal now rather than down the line when left to continue for months and years.

I haven't had it but I "had" it once in 2020 for the purposes of skiving off work. I suspect I will "get" it again imminently now that omcrom has come along with the reinfections

Hard to say at this point who has had it and who hasn't anyway right? There's always the possibility of asymptomatic infection, and lots of people I know (myself included) have had the odd sore throat or minor sniffles for a day that didn't warrant a test but now we know could have been it after all. And then of course the numbers we see don't tell us a whole lot either, since testing has completely gone to shit - not just ito lack of availability but also all the false negatives.

But as far as I know, I haven't had it. That might change in the next few weeks, as I'm about to start taking the bus again this week.  I suppose now would be the best time, if it really is inevitable at this point, since it's still fairly soon after my booster. I don't want to be getting this shit in june or whatever. Time to go kiss some strangers?

On 1/13/2022 at 5:17 PM, chenGOD said:

Yes I think the preparation is of course extremely important - but I guess for CBD at least, there is already a large amount of industry that can perform this at relatively low cost. I think it is slightly more difficult for the two cannabinoid acids as described in this paper: https://pubs.acs.org/doi/pdf/10.1021/acs.jnatprod.1c00946, both of which are different from CBD. I think we need @Audioblysk to give us a chemistry primer, or maybe @xxx?

Sorry I'm late and if this was already explained but.

Acid precursors of cannabinoids are just the cannabinoid before undergoing decarboxylation. Usually with the most common cannabinoid (THC)- the stuff on your buds is predominantly THCa, by burning it you're decarboxylating it by taking it well above the temp needed to do so and thus making it active. Same reason why people simmer weed butter on low. Sure cannabinoids are highly lipophilic, but THCa isn't gonna do much. You're aiming to convert it to its non acid counterpart. Most common psychoactive cannabis has very, very low levels of minor cannabinoids. Hemp is more what you'd be looking for here. 

In short, unless one is getting certain chemovars of non-psychoactive hemp and eating raw biomass or doing cryo-extraction + winterization for a cleaner extract - you aren't going to find much CBGa or CBDa in things out on the market. It looks like CBGa is more potent in regards to what the desired outcome of the study would be and it is a relatively minor cannabinoid relative to the amount of breeding work done to steer biosynthetic pathways towards heavy CBD or THC production; though such work does exist on the market. 

Cell studies are dumb to extrapolate so far too. The study is interesting to note, but not much to write home about

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Audioblysk said:

Sorry I'm late and if this was already explained but.

Acid precursors of cannabinoids are just the cannabinoid before undergoing decarboxylation. Usually with the most common cannabinoid (THC)- the stuff on your buds is predominantly THCa, by burning it you're decarboxylating it by taking it well above the temp needed to do so and thus making it active. Same reason why people simmer weed butter on low. Sure cannabinoids are highly lipophilic, but THCa isn't gonna do much. You're aiming to convert it to its non acid counterpart. Most common psychoactive cannabis has very, very low levels of minor cannabinoids. Hemp is more what you'd be looking for here. 

In short, unless one is getting certain chemovars of non-psychoactive hemp and eating raw biomass or doing cryo-extraction + winterization for a cleaner extract - you aren't going to find much CBGa or CBDa in things out on the market. It looks like CBGa is more potent in regards to what the desired outcome of the study would be and it is a relatively minor cannabinoid relative to the amount of breeding work done to steer biosynthetic pathways towards heavy CBD or THC production; though such work does exist on the market. 

Cell studies are dumb to extrapolate so far too. The study is interesting to note, but not much to write home about

i’m guessing you make a mean cup of coffee

• Haha 1

The fact that free speech was beyond abused to excuse covid and anti-vaxx disinformation to the point it kills thousands of people.

Is quite disturbing.

Also finally found were my mom get her fake info. Some fkin wack french doctor spreading BS like butter on toast.

• Like 3