8 hours ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

Starting tomorrow, masks will no longer be required in public spaces where I am.  No idea why.  Such a simple thing to do to help reduce the death toll. 

Yeah this makes no sense to me either. But I guess it's fantastic news for all the assholes who will only wear a mask if commanded to do so. 

• Like 2

Hong Kong is being destroyed and here we get politicians telling us the pandemic is basically over and mask will not be needed anymore. Normal is back for good. Man. What the hell. Is the lesson is gonna be learned one day?  The wave might be over but it aint over till its over for everyone because of variant and extreme contagion of this thing. WHO has been repeating this for YEARS.

Am i the only one getting vibes that some politicians are now deciding that whatever happens, happens, its not even worth trying, just let it roam through the population and that now people are expendable, that business needs to start again?

If you die, you die.

Youre contagious? go to work anyway. Kids get it at school? who cares? No mask in public settings? too bad if youre immunocompromised, youre outta luck buddy deal with it.

And all of this when we are finally learning that even mild infection gets you brain damage lol

When a wave subside, sure opens things up but for fuck sake, why removing masks, basic precautions measures and acting like nothing is happening?

Say the WAVE is over, but pandemic over? 

With millions and millions of cases, its still very much going on it seems to me. Who knows whats in the next variant pandora's box. This kind of careless ''we're back to normal for good now'' talk seems dangerous. They did it a few times already in the past and it was mostly BS. Variants pop up and they go ''well i guess it wasnt over''.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The booster is only effective for about four months if I recall correctly. The earliest doses are coming up on four months now. 

I really can't believe this is happening. Masks not required on public transit anymore either? What the fuck are they thinking?

Edited by toaoaoad

4 minutes ago, toaoaoad said:

The booster is only effective for about four months if I recall correctly. The earliest doses are coming up on four months now. 

I really can't believe this is happening. Masks not required on public transit anymore either? What the fuck are they thinking?

The effectiveness of the boosters begins to 'wane' after four months. They are still very effective. 

Edited by luke viia
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, toaoaoad said:

Yeah this makes no sense to me either. But I guess it's fantastic news for all the assholes who will only wear a mask if commanded to do so. 

Well, I'm going to wear a mask still, I haven't been sick yet.

• Like 3

got a 4th shot a week ago (immunocompromised) so should be fully reup'd in another week. still gonna wear a mask when around people or going to the store etc. 

edit: oregon's situation. w/explanation from the health authority as to why restrictions being lifted.  

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/03/11/covid-safety-end-oregon-mask-mandate/

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 5

7 minutes ago, ignatius said:

got a 4th shot a week ago (immunocompromised) so should be fully reup'd in another week. still gonna wear a mask when around people or going to the store etc. 

edit: oregon's situation. w/explanation from the health authority as to why restrictions being lifted.  

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/03/11/covid-safety-end-oregon-mask-mandate/

How things have been for you being immunocompromised?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

How things have been for you being immunocompromised?

ok. i got vax'd early, boosted early etc. 

but it's been weird and pre-vaccine was full of anxiety. once i got vaccinated stress level went way down. the weirdest thing for me is my cancer medication has side effects that often are similar to signs of covid.. flu like symptoms, night sweats, fatigue etc.. there's like a hundred possible side effects.. so i got tested a few times when i couldn't handle playing the game of "is it covid or medication side effects"

also, i've stayed very isolated though did travel in october to see family which seemed like good timing. otherwise i've seen friends outside a couple times or been to small dinner things at someone's house w/vax'd only people who'd been tested. 

so, other than my own relevant anxiety stuff it's probably been a lot like everyone else's experience. 

i have a friend who has crohn's and has to take a shot every few weeks that obliterates her immune system. her risk is much greater than mine. she was out of it for like 3 days after getting each vax shot and got a 4th booster like a month ago via doctor's prescription. and still was only generating a moderate immune response of building antibodies etc.. so, she's still at a very heightened level of precaution. works from home and is in out the country (rural) so not a lot of people around and can go outside and not see another person other than her husband who also works from home.. so they're fortunate but i think she'll be wearing a mask for a long time. 

Edited by ignatius
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

China has managed pretty well with the zero-covid policy so far but is the omicron variant finally going to break it? Hong Kong was also doing well until they got the shit kicked out of them by omicron.

China battles worst Covid outbreak for two years as cases double in 24 hours https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/mar/13/china-battles-worst-covid-outbreak-for-two-years-as-cases-double-in-24-hours

China locks down city of 9 million amid new spike in cases https://apnews.com/article/covid-health-china-changchun-fbe63032924a44e4f7874d0bf0a2988f

Covid News: China Dismisses 2 Mayors and Shanghai Closes Schools as Case Numbers Rise https://www.nytimes.com/live/2022/03/11/world/covid-19-mandates-cases-vaccine

If the omicron gets out of control in a country of 1.4 billion people with a bit questionably vaccine efficacy and coverage then oo boy..

5 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

New variant wreaking havoc globally by may-june, any wagers?

It will be interesting (and likely tragic) to see what course new variants take, I cannot imagine this virus will not mutate further given its tenacity. Will it be soon or later? It really is uncharted territory, we never had such effective tools developed so quickly into a new novel virus.

Obama got the ‘rona

16 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

New variant wreaking havoc globally by may-june, any wagers?

deltacron detected two days ago, as contagious as measles. 

i'd be more concerned about the psychological state of the population, and those governing them, as it's the greatest weapon or weakness in preventing or suffering from any variant that appears. 

not to downplay what may evolve, but the move away from measures and data, dismantling of testing and all those other systems put in place is very arguably far too early and even dangerously hubristic.

the shock that should come from new infection rises and further deaths will be downplayed naturally by how hard it will be to sense it as an issue and the reluctance to go back to heavy reporting of it all.

i suspect there's a painful transition to some kind of acceptance of it, and it's a million miles away from the apparent intention to develop vaccines and eradicate it that was there at the start and quickly began to fade away.

Edited by logboy

7 hours ago, logboy said:

deltacron detected two days ago, as contagious as measles. 

i'd be more concerned about the psychological state of the population, and those governing them, as it's the greatest weapon or weakness in preventing or suffering from any variant that appears. 

not to downplay what may evolve, but the move away from measures and data, dismantling of testing and all those other systems put in place is very arguably far too early and even dangerously hubristic.

the shock that should come from new infection rises and further deaths will be downplayed naturally by how hard it will be to sense it as an issue and the reluctance to go back to heavy reporting of it all.

i suspect there's a painful transition to some kind of acceptance of it, and it's a million miles away from the apparent intention to develop vaccines and eradicate it that was there at the start and quickly began to fade away.

I'm seeing mixed statements about deltacron, mostly that it isn't regarded as a significant threat akin to a new major variant. What source are you going by?

And I agree with most of the rest of what you said. People are not prepared for this to get worse than it has been at its worst so far and we have our leaders and the media to blame for that, for pandering to the most impatient and entitled people who "are so sick of the pandemic" and just want to be told it's going to be ok and they can have their toys back. We are less prepared than ever, at this point, which is why it's an ideal time for a new variant to spread like wildfire.

However, I was under the impression that better vaccines (i.e. ones that will work longterm and against variants) are under development still, and have been for some time, we're just not hearing updates because they're still in the middle of clinical trials. This is the only shred of hope I have left that this might ever be "over" as people like to say.

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, yekker said:

I can't wait for everybody to have brain damage and be like this guy

Harry+and+the+Hendersons.gif

best case scenario. i mean.. that 'guy' was kind and jolly if memory serves. stupid and mean is also possible. 

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

10 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

I'm seeing mixed statements about deltacron, mostly that it isn't regarded as a significant threat akin to a new major variant. What source are you going by?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/health/covid-omicron-deltacron-ba2-measles-b2035093.html

im never quite sure about claims of a variant being less significant, as i still think high infection and death rates are normalised as a byproduct or technique for downplaying as a way to push for removal of restrictions, reduction of costs and responsibilities.

there’s also long covid, remaining mysteries and concerns about organ, brain damage and much more. interested to see what happens after months of supposedly returning to a long gone ‘normal’ as i imagine a very high chance of a return to the normal of the last two years and a lesson in what normal can possibly be now or at any time with a fundamental change like covid.

some countries will prove more willing and capable of such moves - china and HK probably currently still are locking down with comparatively small rises that don’t register in the west - and it may highlight non-human costs are dominant now.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 1

Tens of millions of people are under lockdown across China, as surging COVID-19 cases prompted the return of mass tests and hazmat-suited health officials to streets on a scale not seen since the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

China reported 5,280 new cases on Tuesday, more than double the previous day's tally, as the highly transmissible Omicron variant spread across a country that has stuck tightly to a zero-COVID strategy.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-03-16/china-coronavirus-cases-double-nation-battles-growing-outbrea/100913692

Immediately after the mask mandate was lifted at my school we had several more cases pop up among students and faculty.

Now the staff are back to almost all masked and students are about 50/50. I'm still wearing N95s every day in the classroom. I love them. Nice snug fit, feels very secure. Much better than the counterfeit KN95s I used to order on Amazon.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...