Can this be the Monkeypox thread now? Who's excited to see this latest viral trend?

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

On 5/15/2022 at 2:49 PM, toaoaoad said:

I wonder if the at-home tests are failing so much because people just don't know how to properly rail themselves in the nussy

4 negs here, but really not sure I was going in deep enough... 1 inch up the nose seems insane.  I was really trying.  Felt like 10 inches.  (Might be getting nasal passage mixed up with my cock again - not a match made in heaven, btw)

As I failed my umpteenth since they were available self-test today I wondered if there's any info on how reliable they are with all the new variants. After googling around for at least 5 minutes I can definitely say there's no clear answer. It was to click around here for a bit though: https://www.path.org/programs/diagnostics/covid-dashboard-implication-variants-covid-19-antigen-test-detection/

Just one datapoint, but our negative self-tests were really negative.  The Mrs. ended up having a tonsil infection.  Not sure why the antigen test was a false positive.

Edited by randomsummer

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/16/health/covid-reinfection.html

“If we manage it the way that we manage it now, then most people will get infected with it at least a couple of times a year,” said Kristian Andersen, a virologist at the Scripps Research Institute in San Diego. “I would be very surprised if that’s not how it’s going to play out.”

:cerious:

• Sad 1

OK but that doesn't necessarily mean doom & gloom, I mean you probably get infected with the common cold many times a year and flu possibly once a year or once every few years.  When this virus becomes endemic, it could become less lethal especially with a vaccine once a year.  We'll also have evolving vaccines (hopefully).

Of course you'll always have that unlucky few percent of the population who will have a much more serious reaction to the virus, but that's nothing new, that already happens with common viruses that we live with every day.

I'm not saying it's going to be a nothing burger, just that there are many factors to consider and not all of them are so negative.

• Thanks 1

Just now, randomsummer said:

OK but that doesn't necessarily mean doom & gloom, I mean you probably get infected with the common cold many times a year and flu possibly once a year or once every few years.  When this virus becomes endemic, it could become less lethal especially with a vaccine once a year.  We'll also have evolving vaccines (hopefully).

Of course you'll always have that unlucky few percent of the population who will have a much more serious reaction to the virus, but that's nothing new, that already happens with common viruses that we live with every day.

I'm not saying it's going to be a nothing burger, just that there are many factors to consider and not all of them are so negative.

Neither colds or flu end up as long-Covid. More exposure to heavy viral loads can still result in rapid reinfection. More exposure to heavy viral loads equals more healthcare workers with long Covid, as an example.

I get where you’re coming from about trying to live with this thing but it’s far from certain what the future holds. The NHS has thousands of open vacancies & yet we wonder why we can’t fill them (long as fuck hours, massive stress, underpaid salaries & working within fragmented services).

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Neither colds or flu end up as long-Covid. More exposure to heavy viral loads can still result in rapid reinfection. More exposure to heavy viral loads equals more healthcare workers with long Covid, as an example.

I get where you’re coming from about trying to live with this thing but it’s far from certain what the future holds. The NHS has thousands of open vacancies & yet we wonder why we can’t fill them (long as fuck hours, massive stress, underpaid salaries & working within fragmented services).

Not too fast, pls

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58726775

People who have fallen ill with flu can suffer long-term symptoms in a similar way to long Covid, a study suggests.

The Oxford University research analysed health records of people diagnosed with flu and Covid, mainly in the US.

The two groups - both with just over 100,000 patients - included people seeking healthcare for symptoms three to six months after infection.

These included problems such as anxiety, abnormal breathing, fatigue and headaches.

There were signs that Covid patients were more likely to have long-term symptoms - 42% had at least one symptom recorded compared with 30% in the flu group.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cwmbrancity said:

Yes, totally get where you're coming from.  I was just highlighting the fact that we shouldn't automatically jump to doom and gloom when experts say that COVID-19 is here to stay big time.

There will always be people who have more severe adverse reactions to different viruses, and that sucks ass, but I was just trying to remain somewhat optimistic.

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Pls, not too fast agent of Satan. Btw, tell your boss I think he’s just misunderstood. Don’t wanna piss on Satan’s parade.

Next work sick day excuse sorted ? Covid is proving that, unlike flu, its specific virus strains have caused micro-clotting incidents across multiple major organs across millions of people. Ages, cultures, every point of difference. That’s a significantly different presentation to post-viral “fatigue”.

We have elite athletes who are completely fucked from it. Can’t compete, multiple symptoms like cognitive impairment, not from age profiles where you might expect greater risk.

Anyway, don’t forget to put a positive word in with your Chief of Command, cheers!

Acute Respiratory Disease & long flu is linked, not across multiple organ sites & less common. Eg paper on post-infection effects of influenza h7n9 in 2017. See age range (patients mostly elderly), focus on lung damage, minor segment on heart fibres and subsequent community reactions compounding effects on mental health:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17497-6

Different viruses, different severity of outcomes.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

Different viruses, different severity of outcomes.

For different people and different cases.

We could go on and on about this. But there comes a point where you can box various endemic virusses together in terms of how you manage them in order to protect people on a national scale. Especially people with higher risk profiles. (almost the same for flu and covid?) As that virologist alluded to in those videos posted way earlier (sometime around omikron was hitting as a new mutation). He basically predicted there'd be seasonal vaccines specifically for those who have higher risk for severe outcomes, where both covid and flu were tackled at the same time. At that point, you're basically managing these endemic viruses in similar ways. Or rather, as we have been doing with the flu for many years now.

Edited by Satans Little Helper

quite a lot of use for the term ‘endemic’ in here. afaik, it actually refers to a virus that doesn’t see rising rates of infection once conditions to control it are removed. this is far from the case, so far, it seems. not in countries that have supposedly moved on, or in those trying to contain it with a zero covid policy. very high infection rates, very high hospitalisations, quite a lot of death. it seems to be so infectious that societies can’t control it enough before other factors are stressed too hard and are too costly to keep running. this is an acceptance of the health damage as a preference over the societal and economic damage of trying to fight it or mitigate against it from governments, and a passing to the population with fingers firmly crossed.

Edited by logboy
  • Like 4

16 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

For different people and different cases.

We could go on and on about this. But there comes a point where you can box various endemic virusses together in terms of how you manage them in order to protect people on a national scale. Especially people with higher risk profiles. (almost the same for flu and covid?) As that virologist alluded to in those videos posted way earlier (sometime around omikron was hitting as a new mutation). He basically predicted there'd be seasonal vaccines specifically for those who have higher risk for severe outcomes, where both covid and flu were tackled at the same time. At that point, you're basically managing these endemic viruses in similar ways. Or rather, as we have been doing with the flu for many years now.

flu hasn’t been anywhere near as disruptive though, has it. there aren’t the rates of rapid reinfection either. flu jab efficacy is lower too, round the 60% mark.

jury is out on John Campbell. read criticism he wasn’t a proper consultant but he’s like a Sgt major who, through a lot of toil, rose up through the ranks. his target audience is glued to the Ukraine crisis now anyway. he’s been on the nose & miles off in different contexts.

managing endemic viruses in similar ways? don’t see that - the rates of Covid mutations of concern differ vastly from flu &, with large swathes of the world immunocompromised, this pathogen still has plenty of potential for actual concern. how govts & healthcare systems respond is another matter.

wasnt talking about campbell. that other guy. the bald virologist. not the videos i've posted (not interested in having *that* discussion again, dr)

this guy (may 13th update):

5 minutes ago, cwmbrancity said:

how govts & healthcare systems respond is another matter.

that's the matter i'm talking about. i'm not interested in endless discussions about the definition of "endemic" or which virus/mutation is worse or whatever in terms of long term effects. what matters is the management aspect on a (inter)national level. Which is basically the translation from all relevant factors into policy. If the hospitals are able to cope with rising numbers, no matter how fast the cases rise or which virus it is, there will be an impact on the way the virus is managed.

in the end, the context within this discussion takes place matter. If you're surrounded by people who are anti-vaxx and anti-other stuff, my comments will appear different. And you'll be triggered to try the explain the severity and what not. Be that as it may, but from a different context - one where you live in an environment with a higher vaccination rate and less people sceptical about covid - my comments will appear way more benign. so yeah, to all people triggered like mad, I'm sorry you live in such a context such that i look like another one of those fruitcakes. please note that i live in a different environment. and that something like that actually matters.

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

in the end, the context within this discussion takes place matter. If you're surrounded by people who are anti-vaxx and anti-other stuff, my comments will appear different. And you'll be triggered to try the explain the severity and what not. Be that as it may, but from a different context - one where you live in an environment with a higher vaccination rate and less people sceptical about covid - my comments will appear way more benign. so yeah, to all people triggered like mad, I'm sorry you live in such a context such that i look like another one of those fruitcakes. please note that i live in a different environment. and that something like that actually matters.

should read as “the contexts within which these discussions takes place matter”, yagetmeh.

triggered? been reading Trump Jr again? wholesale inappropriate antagonistic rubbish. only person who “presents” as triggered is you mate. you went from reasonable to condescending in half a gear change.

appropriate name, agent of Satan, enjoy the rest of this beautiful day!

Edited by cwmbrancity

Monkeypox spreads from human to human mostly just in close physical contact so people on watmm shouldn't have to be too worried.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Farnsworth 2

52 minutes ago, zkom said:

Monkeypox spreads from human to human mostly just in close physical contact so people on watmm shouldn't have to be too worried.

lols... yeah.. also shared bedding apparently but mostly through flesh on flesh w/someone who has it. 

• Burger 1