IGNORED

Synalegg - Computer Series

Nil

a2540042659_10.jpg

https://ooh-sounds.bandcamp.com/album/synalegg-computer-series

► French experimentalist Synalegg launches his austere yet sparkling Computer Series, flirting with the control and aesthetics of randomness.

Synalegg´s notes about ComputerSeries;

Computer Series is a musical and graphic project
performed by a computer in an algorithmic environment designed by a human being. Above all, it’s an experiment that shifts the role of the artist to that of an “aesthetician responsible for his algorithm” (A. Moles).
Initially, the work begins with a long phase of development involving many decisions to determine a suf ciently complete and autonomous modular system. The performance is then fully entrusted to the computer which, through
its exceptional capacity to generate multiples, is able to combine and permute the data as desired. And potentially reveal some singular combinations that the system’s creator would not have considered? Perhaps also clumsiness or oddities.
Here is a selection of these computer proposals
pulled from several captures and grouped together as
10 tracks/10 visuals with no subsequent modi cations (except for editing and mastering). Each track comes from a combination of sequences, sound engines, sound processing and mixing determined by the computer.
This same process was then adapted to generate graphic abstractions using data structures and combining primitive shapes, colors, sizes, layers...

Music and visuals generated from a Pure Data patch designed by Synalegg
Packaging design by Aï

Synalegg’s one of the most talented producer around, period. Absolutely stellar and beyond !

Edited by Nil
more info + player added.
  • Like 4
  • Farnsworth 1

19 minutes ago, d-a-m-o said:

Instabought.

Same. Lush package I must say.

I’ve yet to listen to the whole album, though considering how brilliant Beating the Odds and his upcoming 3OP release are, I can already say : Computer Series, AOTY.

• Like 1

The whole album's solid from beginning to end.  Each track having different artwork is a nice touch, too.   Great physical edition & packaging on this release as well.. OOH-sounds is a great label. Wish I had managed to get the Leave No Trace tape that he had stuff on, too. 

Edited by andrd
  • Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

4 hours ago, andrd said:

The whole album's solid from beginning to end.  Each track having different artwork is a nice touch, too.   Great physical edition & packaging on this release as well.. OOH-sounds is a great label. Wish I had managed to get the Leave No Trace tape that he had stuff on, too. 

yeah it does look great, i'm thinking about grabbing the physical for that SD card and the CD ofc. 

0025917562_10.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, auxien said:

yeah it does look great, i'm thinking about grabbing the physical for that SD card and the CD ofc. 

0025917562_10.jpg

There's no CD, it's just bandcamp doesn't have many options for choosing the format of the physical item being sold.  Its the SD card + unique hand made print + info sheet, housed in protective silk-screened envelopes.  With shipping to the US it was a pricy purchase, but I'm a sucker for nice packaging, and I like Synalegg's (and OOH-sounds')  work a lot.  I lucked out getting to hear the entire album, digital wasn't included in the beginning so I got it after the fact. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oh thanks,  i guess i saw the CD-sized square and package and didn't read carefully enough. the prints are really nice and an SD card is cool but that may change my calculus on the physical. sure i'll be grabbing the digital at the very least.

• 2 weeks later...

^agreed, played it through this morning and rather enjoyed it. it's a bit more loose and a touch more sparse than expected, but my first impressions were overwhelmingly good...with some definitely great bits in there.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I had been meaning to give this a listen since release but had not gotten a chance until just yesterday. Initially drawn in by the cover art this is the first I am hearing of Synalegg and this album has certainly left me wanting more / looking back to his past works.

I enjoyed every track but I think Series 6 was my immediate favorite.

• Like 1