Radiohead - Kid A MNESIA

Out 5th Nov

KID A MNESIA collects Radiohead’s fourth and fifth albums, Kid A and Amnesiac (celebrating their 21st anniversaries), alongside the debut of a newly compiled third disc titled Kid Amnesiae. Kid Amnesiae is comprised of unearthed material culled from the Kid A / Amnesiac sessions along with alternate versions and elements of Kid A and Amnesiac album tracks and B-Sides. Features the never-before-heard ‘If You Say the Word’ and a previously unreleased studio recording of ‘Follow Me Around’.

image.jpeg

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Recently revisited both these albums. Kid A has its moments, but Amnesiac is still (imo) a mega snooze fest. However Radiohead are the experts at b-sides and bits and bobs so the 3rd disc might have some tantalising tidbits for one to savour.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Radiohead are the experts at b-sides and bits and bobs

I agree, and this era had some really strong b-sides (worrywort, fog, cuttooth, amazing sound of orgy, fast-track, kinetic) but... I've already heard them all?  These anniversary re-releases are a pretty standard thing now I guess but it's mostly about $$$ and probably only has two or three salvageable tracks on it.  Plus yeah I do kinda feel like I outgrew them awhile back

• Like 1

it has been a long time since I felt the need to listen to Radiohead. had this come out 21 years ago in the midst of their peak period, I would have been climbing the walls to hear it. now, I'll probably sample on BC, feign a slight bit of interest, and ultimately take a pass.

• Like 2

Growing up in Oxford, I always preferred Supergrass because they never took themselves too seriously.  Radiohead always bored the hell out of me,

Edited by Soloman Tump

Matrix news and Radiohead news in the same day? Sign my nostalgic ass up. 

Less stoked about this than the OK NOT OK release (and those leaked cassettes omfg that was a treasure trove) but still stoked. Follow me Around from this era should make most Radiohead fans go apeshit though I'll probably go gaga of the How to Disappear strings. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, beerwolf said:

image.jpeg

i like how they merged the 2 cover artworks, the background from amnesiac becoming a black sky, which gives an even colder/darker vibe to the kid a cover and makes the mountains pop even more. probably took less than 3 minutes in photoshop but great concept imo.

• Haha 1

My two favorite Radiohead albums and it isn’t really even close. I cherish ok computer but these two are on another level for me. It’s extremely selfish and subjective, I listened to them both obsessively during a couple really transformational college years. 

for sure ordered this. Having “Fog” on vinyl is an added bonus.

40 minutes ago, thumbass said:

Never liked radiohead

I’m pretty 50/50 on them. I certainly don’t worship them but some of their stuff is good. I’m quite keen on Hail to the Thief which most Radiohead fans seem to dislike, I’d also rather listen to a lot of The Bends and the brilliant b-sides than a lot of OK Computer. Some of their live performances I’ve seen I switch off almost instantly, some are amazing. I totally get why folks don’t like them. Kid A is alright, I think it’s genius is generally how a rock band basically did one of the biggest u-turns and were instantly set free from all that NME UK guitar band borefest stuff. 

11 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

I’m pretty 50/50 on them. I certainly don’t worship them but some of their stuff is good. I’m quite keen on Hail to the Thief which most Radiohead fans seem to dislike, I’d also rather listen to a lot of The Bends and the brilliant b-sides than a lot of OK Computer. Some of their live performances I’ve seen I switch off almost instantly, some are amazing. I totally get why folks don’t like them. Kid A is alright, I think it’s genius is generally how a rock band basically did one of the biggest u-turns and were instantly set free from all that NME UK guitar band borefest stuff. 

Well idk why but for some reason not a single work of them has ever clicked with me. Yorkes voice is always a reason for me to turn the shit off too, just don't like the sound

16 hours ago, nikisoko said:

radiohead is good but every time i listen to them i feel like im turning into my dad listening to Pink Floyd or something so i have to stop

Oddly enough my Radiohead b-side and non album bits n’ bobs playlist is finished off with Floyds Live At Pompeii. Also weirdly enough I was listening to this (Set the Controls For The Heart Of The Sun) when I read your comment. I’m pretty sure there is much worse music that dads could listen to (like country & western or Dire Straits)

B7531A15-8D56-43DC-B4F1-0941628E809A.jpeg

2 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Agreed.  However, sometimes I think they took that u-turn because they felt they had to distance themselves from the OK Computer sound.  I mean, that was a bitch of a record to follow up and I can't fault them for how they chose to do it, but I kind of think they ruined several great songs (life in a glass house, motion picture soundtrack) because they felt that they had to have a sound that's 180 degrees different than their previous output.  IMO the earlier, more "traditional" versions of those songs are much better, and I wonder how many other tracks from that era went through the wash like that.

• Like 2

I mean FFS they reportedly left "Lift" off of OK Computer because they felt like it sounded too much like stuff from The Bends and they didn't want to put a guitar-driven sure-fire single hit right in the middle of OK Computer.  What an embarrassment of riches.

• Like 1