IGNORED

Low - HEY WHAT

scumtron

Double Negative was a nice reinvention of the sound after a handful of middling albums covering similar ground. Their voices are so great together you can pretty much use any musical backing, but the crazy boutique effects pedal thing has much mileage left in it yet.

Edited by Key
  • Like 2

• Rubin Farr changed the title to Low - HEY WHAT
On 9/11/2021 at 7:48 AM, gnarlybog said:

Only one listen so far. Interesting although not hitting me like Double Negative, yet.
Gives me hope for guitar based music.

I’m with you on this. Good, but not as immediate at Double Negative. Seems like a grower though.

I can't remember the last time I heard anything new of theirs... may have been 10 years ago with the release of C'mon

So I'll check this out, along with Double Negative

Definitely this band are a puzzle to me (which isn’t a bad thing) and I’ve spent quite a bit of time and effort with their back catalogue over the years and I guess I could make a compilation album of theirs and be happy but I really struggle with their whole studio albums. I find I need a change of pace or mood after a few tracks. I couldn’t see what the fuss was about Double Negative either, like I said they are a puzzle! I very well may revisit DN again then listen to this new one. Or I may switch after a few tracks and listen to the new Iron Maiden album instead, which seems as the album art suggests Eddie carving up Japan as a samurai monster. A clear and definite change of pace from Low ?? 

Edited by beerwolf

Low is a band I've been aware of for a long time but I've never listened to their albums. I've listened to some slowcore, but it's not something I seek out often. Seems after a quick look at their albums' genre tags in RYM that they're not really slowcore anymore, though probably still slow. I don't know, should I try this new thing? Should I try another one first? 

Edit: As I type this I'm shuffling a playlist of albums from 2000 (mostly ones I love but a few thrown in that I might not have given enough of a chance), and I'm about falling asleep with a Yo La Tango song.

Edited by sidewinder

I did listen to a few tracks but not for me. From memory Ones and Sixes is my favourite album, as mentioned above if they were playing at a festival I’d make a strong effort to see them play live. A curious band.

• 3 months later...
On 9/14/2021 at 4:58 AM, hello spiral said:

agreed with not as immediate as double negative, but I am getting STRONG grower vibes. Have listened like 5 times in the last two days. LP came in the post a day ago also.

After having seen spi's instagram stories and having been in his flat since September, "getting strong grower vibes" is a massive understatement.