IGNORED

Reverb Now Lets You Track The Value of Your Gear

Joyrex

Reverb, the Etsy-owned online used musical instrument site, has added a feature called Collections that lets you track the value of your musical gear. It can show you at a glance exactly what you own and how much it's worth for "fun, insurance or tax purposes," the company said. It also makes it faster to list an item you want to sell by simply pulling it from your collection. 

To use Collections, you go to your Reverb profile picture and hit "My Collection," which will show everything you own and prompt you to add another item, either something you've purchased from the site or a new item. Doing so brings up a search menu, which draws from a comprehensive database of musical gear to narrow it down to your exact item. 

Once you add an item, Reverb will show an estimate of its value, and if that's off (due to condition or whatever) you can enter your own estimate. Values are constantly updated with dynamic pricing, so you can follow how it's changed over time. 

It's a particularly useful feature for the many musicians who own a lot of gear and often shuffle their collections. It looks like the company has built up a very comprehensive database of guitars, synths, pedals and other gear, which could be a big help if you're trying to value your collection. 

• Farnsworth 1

i'm sure this will create a new neurosis for gear obsessed, price obsessed, 'recoup investment' obsessed 'collectors' who don't actually make music and just rearrange their studio once a month as a means to feel creative or 'in the studio'. 

seems like a destructive trend longterm. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Now is watmms chance to conjure up its own crypto scam fake stonk bisnis.

Buy virtual stakes in our synth collections and watch the value fluctuations.

Edited by Silent Member
  • Haha 1

i bought something this week (after selling quite a bit this month) and noticed something relevant to this topic:

image.png.fe47feb4d682b9957a16a0b507f43e70.png

that "Sell this Item" button was there long before the gear was ever delivered, i'm pretty sure it was there immediately after my purchase. i'm certain that this is no mistake: the more that's bought and sold, the more money they make. it's a shame.

that said, like i mentioned i did sell a few things recently and made a pretty little penny off of some of it. it's really insane how ridiculous people can be. i've got no issues taking their money if they're willing to buy it for those Reverb prices, tho. my morals ain't stronger than my desire for cash in this case :catsuicide:

• Big Brain 1

• 1 month later...

I quite like Reverb, have bought and sold stuff at reasonable prices.  A useful marketplace.

But this just reeks of a dick move for grabbing more cash.... and.....

I really want to advertise how much gear i've got stashed in my studio!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is just what Discogs did a decade or so ago, except in the opposite direction.  Discogs started as a site for people to catalogue their collections and eventually added a marketplace, Reverb started as a marketplace and eventually added user collection cataloguing.

Either way it's jsut harvesting metadata that can be monetized, although Discogs seems less nefarious since its origins wer emore like"last.fm for records" and didn't feel like it was a strictly commercial operation like Reverb is.

The thing to watch out for here is whether Reverb starts buying and selling stuff in-house while also simultaneously being the reference point for the market value of what they're buying and selling, like what Zillow tried to do with real estate (and is probably goign to keep doing in some form once the negative attention dies down).

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

This is just what Discogs did a decade or so ago, except in the opposite direction.  Discogs started as a site for people to catalogue their collections and eventually added a marketplace, Reverb started as a marketplace and eventually added user collection cataloguing.

Either way it's jsut harvesting metadata that can be monetized, although Discogs seems less nefarious since its origins wer emore like"last.fm for records" and didn't feel like it was a strictly commercial operation like Reverb is.

The thing to watch out for here is whether Reverb starts buying and selling stuff in-house while also simultaneously being the reference point for the market value of what they're buying and selling, like what Zillow tried to do with real estate (and is probably goign to keep doing in some form once the negative attention dies down).

zillow lost millions of dollars, bad press was the result, not the cause

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/business/zillow-q3-earnings-home-flipping-ibuying.html

also, i think the price difference for a synth or something like that is going to be a couple hundred dollars in a few years at most. reverb would have to be hoarding gear at mass for long periods of time to make any money that way. that sounds like a crazy idea to try to do at scale vs just skimming a few bucks off of every transaction, which is a proven business model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nikisoko said:

zillow lost millions of dollars, bad press was the result, not the cause

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/02/business/zillow-q3-earnings-home-flipping-ibuying.html

also, i think the price difference for a synth or something like that is going to be a couple hundred dollars in a few years at most. reverb would have to be hoarding gear at mass for long periods of time to make any money that way. that sounds like a crazy idea to try to do at scale vs just skimming a few bucks off of every transaction, which is a proven business model.

I guess I wasn't really being very clear there, what I was saying is that this new Reverb thing isn't really outside the norm, and comparing it to the Wata scam would take them doing something like directly participating ina  market where they were also the de-facto reference point for value, which is what Zillow was attemptingin a sleazy but probably legal way, and Wata is doing in a possibly outright illegal way.  What reverb is doing isn't really any different from Discogs, they jsut came to it from the opposite direction.

Unless there's some detail about the Reverb stuff I don't remember.

sure. i didnt think you thought that was happening, i was just saying i'm not worried about it happening. it would cost more in personpower to manage dealing in the market than it would bring in revenue. Also, companies like this need to show growth quarter over quarter. its not like they can buy the latest hot modules and hold on to them for 20 years to resell or something.  i think the goal of this is to just encourage people to sell their things, so reverb can get a cut. like "look your synth is worth 1200 now and you paid 1000, time to sell!", then they make more money off increasing the number of transactions.

• 3 weeks later...