IGNORED

What Aphex tracks can I upload on social media?

cern

If I make a video and upload it on Facebook it will be flagged and I will get warnings if music is copyright etc.. 

What Aphex tracks can I put up on videos and upload without problems? Is it working from his soundcloud dump? 
Or does Warp owns all his music? 

Lets say this! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWTmYqqKxE

All of his music is owned by himself and a publisher.

YouTube have licenses in place so that artists music can be uploaded for 'personal use'. So, not for advertising your business or services (Although you can, but legally you'd open yourself up to potential trouble).
It does get flagged on YouTube but only in a way where you cannot monetise your work because it isn't all your work. It is still playable, shareable and doesn't affect the standing of your account.

I have no idea on Facebook, but if they don't have those same licences, it may get flagged as you say. 
You'd likely get a notification and be asked to remove it within x amount of time otherwise you'll get a strike on your account. I can't imagine it would be anything harsh if you comply with their takedown.

• Like 1

Thank you!

I was thinking only to make a fun video when Im skating or driving motocross and have the music in the background. 

He shared this music for free to download on his Soundcloud.. Would it not be strange if I can't use it? 

Edited by cern

19 minutes ago, cern said:

He shared this music for free to download on his Soundcloud.. Would it not be strange if I can't use it? 

Not at all.
You don't own the music. You have a copy of the music he owns.
It's not yours to do whatever you like with.

However, licensing deals (For YouTube to make money from and pay the artist pennies) quite nicely allow a little creative freedom for the individual.
That's pretty cool really because there was a minute where YouTube was taking down all sorts of stuff...

2-3 tips for figuring out what can be used without being removed or muted:

- Check if the artist has a YouTube VEVO account. If they do, there is a large chance your video will be muted or removed on most platforms.
- Search for the song you want to use on YouTube. If you find that others have uploaded it (So, a non artist/label run VEVO account) then it'll be fine to use. Best case, look in the description. If YouTube recognises the song, then that is a solid place to be as that means there is some sort of license in place so you can use it. If it doesn't recognise it, then cool...BUT...it just means there is no license in place, so it could be taken down at some point in the future if a label decides to pull away from YouTube.
- Upload the song (with any video you like over the top) to YouTube and set it to unlisted. Leave it up for a few hours. That way the YT backend will do it's work and let you know if there is an issue before you've spent time shooting and editing. NOTE: YT telling you the video has copyright claims and cannot be monetised doesn't affect anything at all other that you not being able to make money on it. It'll still appear on YouTube and play just fine.

Short Version: Do your thing. Don't worry about it. You wont get into trouble. Just read the notifications when you upload.

• Like 1

iirc, the soundcloud track "8 lush ambulance 2" was used in a video on the BBC Comedy website. music used in BBC content always goes thru licensing, which suggests that everything - even the soundcloud tracks (and possibly unreleased material) - is licensed.

i'm not sure what that means for youtube algorithms. start with 80s tite and see how you get on.