IGNORED

GAS - Der Lange Marsch

eclipsis

GAS - DER LANGE MARSCH is the 10th album from Wolfgang Voigt's impressive and timeless series of works and will be released on 3.12.2021 exclusively by Kompakt Records. The release is also part of the large Wolfgang Voigt art exhibition WERKSCHAU, which will open on the same day at Kompakt zu Köln in collaboration with Jens-Uwe Beyer Galerie (JUBG).

At the latest with the release of the albums "Zauberberg" and "Königsforst", in the mid-1990s, one associates GAS, Wolfgang Voigt's very own artistic cross-linking of the spirit of Romanticism and the forest as an artistic fantasy projection surface, with intoxicatingly blurred boundaries of post-ambient infatuation and the impenetrable thicket of abstract atonality. The distant, iconic straight bass drum marching through highly condensed, abstract sounds taken from classical music by the sampler or modulated accordingly, and the enraptured gaze through pop art glasses into the hypnotic thicket of an imaginary forest, manifested over the years this unique connection of audio and visual, which to understand fully, then as now, would be neither possible nor desirable.

Quite the opposite. The album GAS - DER LANGE MARSCH once again invites us to follow the deep sounding bass drum, to give in to its irresistible pull into a psychedelic world of 1000 promises. In the process, the journey leads us past stations of memories sounding from afar, from "Zauberberg" to "Königsforst" and "Pop", from "Oktember" to "Narkopop" and "Rausch", back and forth, now and forever.

Way. Destination. Loop. Forest loop.

No beginning. No end.

https://kompakt.fm/releases/der_lange_marsch

cover.jpg

• Like 10
  • Thanks 5

I loved Narkopop a lot but Rausch was just... I don't know, I just couldn't gel with it. I tried listening to it today once again but couldn't get through the whole album. I just don't like the sound design of Rausch I guess. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, eclipsis said:

I loved Narkopop a lot but Rausch was just... I don't know, I just couldn't gel with it. I tried listening to it today once again but couldn't get through the whole album. I just don't like the sound design of Rausch I guess. 

Agreed, Narkpop was the berries.  Looking forward to this also.

Edited by NewSchoolScience
  • Like 1

As long as he keeps them to a high standard I say keep them coming. I never really noticed a dropoff on quality on the new ones. The GAS project is such a simple idea but there can be many, many permutations of it. Better him do this than make a load more Polkatrax or something.

I suppose I prefer the old records for the nostalgia, but I listen to Narkopop and Rausch just as much as the others. 

On 10/7/2021 at 7:20 PM, azatoth said:

i need to hear samples of this

Bad news then. The promo email I received from Kompakt stated that nothing would be available until the day of release. Which worries me.

2 hours ago, Jamesqdot said:

Bad news then. The promo email I received from Kompakt stated that nothing would be available until the day of release. Which worries me.

it will still be available to buy after the release, so we can wait until then to preview it. unless they are only releasing like 200 which would also worry me.

i agree that the GAS stuff that was release later on feels different and probably doesnt need to exist. Kinda like star wars sequels etc. It is possible to just ignore it and listen to the original ones.

2 minutes ago, thief said:

rausch was absolutely unlistenable for me, that high freq ping noise on every kick throughout the whole album is fucking awful

wtf was he thinking

That was bad. 1 listen was enough.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just checked, I'm still not that bothered by the high pitched noise. I remember not even hearing it in Rausch until jules brought it up in that thread. I kind of have to turn it up to hear it clearly, and at my normal listening levels it's not an issue (for my ex-speaker-hugger's hearing at least).

For whatever reason I haven't listened to Gas in the longest time though, I should get back into it.

Maybe I just gotten used to it but the high frequency kick in Der Lange Marsch is not as irritating as the one in Rausch, to my semi-fucked up ears anyway.

Also quite a bit of recycling of previous GAS material going on in this one.

Track 02 is a slightly reworked version of last year's stand-alone release "Zeit" (youtube.com/watch?v=hSRVzQ4kvhc), and all through out there are bits and pieces from Zauberberg, Königsforst & Pop.

Track 10 also features processed vocals, a first for GAS, if I'm not mistaken.

It sounds like he's found his old GAS sample pack and made some new tunes with all the samples, then added a high-freq tone pulsing over the entire album. His 90s GAS material is so seminal, so it's always gonna sound dope, but yeah, it's a bit... Lazy? It works better if you consider it more like a GAS self-remix project. But as a new album?

Listening to the WAVs from bandcamp, the high frequency kick is actually more noticeable than in the preview MP3s on the Kompakt website.
Just like with Rausch, dialing it back a fair bit at resp. around 10kHz does the trick again though.

20 hours ago, wahnfried said:

Track 10 also features processed vocals, a first for GAS, if I'm not mistaken.

Yeah but vocals appears on a few  Rückverzauberung sets iirc, so they do not seem out of place, i am rather surprised by the amount of various samples, a bit unlike GAS in a way but why not.