IGNORED

MLO - Oumuamua (Music From Memory)

dcom

Music From Memory are excited to present the first compilation of works by British electronic pioneers MLO aka Peter Smith and Jon Tye. Titled ‘Oumuamua’ and second up in the Virtual Dreams series, the compilation is an in-depth artist focused release containing twelve thoughtfully selected tracks that touch on highlights from the duo’s discography as well as newly (re)discovered music drawn from a vast archive of unreleased pieces, sketches and extended jams recorded between 1993-1995.

MLO’s ambient explorations began when Pete and Jon, having first met in rival punk bands during the late ‘70s, found themselves with unlimited access to an incredibly well-equipped studio, having been hired to produce an Icelandic pop star’s record in the early ‘90s. Particularly charmed by the Korg PS 3300 and an Emulator 2, Smith and Tye were also deeply fascinated by outer space and set about developing a musical landscape informed by both this new state of the art musical equipment and what lay beyond the Earth’s limits. Painting with a palette informed by classical minimalism, new age and the works of Cluster & Eno; the duos primary colours were drones, sustained tones, washes, calming tides, gentle temple bells and soft angelic voices with flickering glimpses of percussion and drums that hinted at the possibilities of a dance floor.

‘Oumuamua’ is a collection of music to get lost-in, a wander down the mazed, mirrored corridors of the subconscious. Peaceful, flowing, fresh-water patterns, drawing the listener toward a mediative, inner space. Not strictly ambient, rather the music rests temporarily within the boundaries between drum ‘n’ bass, library music, soundtracks and Techno. Or how Jon Tye himself puts it: “It really feels like music from a different place, a different time, made by different people.”

MLO is one of my long-time ambient favourites from the early 90s, I especially love Io. Music From Memory continue their Virtual Dreams series with this compilation, highly recommended.

• Like 3

Looking forward to hearing this.  Also curious to see what is upcoming in the Virtual Dreams series - didn't realize they would keep going beyond the comp.

...oh. And I just noticed three collabs with Spacetime Continuum.  Would love to hear more from Jonah's archives as well. 

Edited by Extralife

Io is one of my all time favorite ambient records. I still listen to it regularly almost 30(!) years later!

If you like MLO definitely check out Ocean Moon's "Crystal Harmonics" LP:

https://www.bewithrecords.com/products/ocean-moon-crystal-harmonics-kpm-lp

Also Jon Tye doing ambient. Inexplicably and frustratingly not available on Bandcamp.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

indeed, hard to keep up, keep those reccos coming ?

I sort of avoid listening to Io, especially the first track, it balances perfectly between being haunting and childlike. Reminds me a bit of Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd's OST for Mysterious Skin.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to listening to this in full. Superb collection/curation of these cosmic ambient tunes. Really stands apart from the pack of other early 90s ambient/chill out stuff. 

On 10/13/2021 at 9:26 AM, kuniklo said:

Io is one of my all time favorite ambient records. I still listen to it regularly almost 30(!) years later!

If you like MLO definitely check out Ocean Moon's "Crystal Harmonics" LP:

https://www.bewithrecords.com/products/ocean-moon-crystal-harmonics-kpm-lp

Also Jon Tye doing ambient. Inexplicably and frustratingly not available on Bandcamp.

No digital release of this anywhere??

17 hours ago, Extralife said:

I was talking about that Ocean Moon album. Would love to have a listen but it seems to be vinyl only.

Infuriating but it's only available on vinyl & streamers. Might also be obtainable by less direct means. ?

• 2 weeks later...

Milquetoast ‘90s ambient styles from Jon Tye & Peter Smith’s MLO, a big one for the banana-skin puffers. Shoes off, please, if you don’t mind - RIYL Cluster & Eno, Robert Haigh, ambient CDs with screensaver artwork

https://boomkat.com/products/oumuamua-e955275d-7817-450c-bc6c-f51d3936d543

20 minutes ago, Extralife said:

So what is a banana skin puffer? 

I'm guessing it's a reference to the urban myth you can get high smoking dried banana peels? Implying this music is for psychedelic lightweights I guess?

Boomkat does have some good finds in their recommended release lists but I don't even bother to read their reviews anymore. I'll go to Twitter for that level of discourse if I feel like I really need it.

1 hour ago, kuniklo said:

I'm guessing it's a reference to the urban myth you can get high smoking dried banana peels? Implying this music is for psychedelic lightweights I guess?

that’s a weirdly specific burn haha. i just thought it was a puffy yellow jacket. 

• 6 months later...