IGNORED

SP-404 mkii

YEK

Does this deserve it's own thread? I'm getting hella gassy watching videos of it.

I don't need it and, maybe it's better suited for hip hop beats? 

What's yalls opinions on this? Price seems respectable at about 675 Canadian dollars.

• Like 1

I've had the sp-555 (which is somewhat a cousin of the 404) for years and the fx are unique. But that's about it, other than that I grew to hate it and it's only used as an fx machine for a long time.

They've improved on some of it's biggest cons like the awful way of editing the samples using the 'mark' button. Also the lack of chromatic playback, slicing as well as that you couldn't use more than one effect at the time.

I do feel however they really complicated things with the fx routing. Also a second page of effects parameters I consider unnecessary, the simplicity of really not needing more than 3 paramters at a time was part of the charm. Last but not least the shitty sequencer looks like it's barely improved. Yes it's indeed fine for hiphop beats and anything >100 bpm. And did they FINALLY add panning per sample? Couldn't see that in the video.

Concluding: I currently have the circuit rhythm and its for me the perfect balance between versatility, simplicity & character for a smaller pricetag. A brilliant distortion, decent delay/verbs, good filters and pitch shifters is all I need I figured. For the sp-line, I understand that it acquired a certain status soundwise due to it's unique character. But other than that I find it a very overpriced machine.

I just love that new display. zooming into it and doing that wave form work on a piece of hardware looks fun. if it had a better sequencer i guess it'd be better.

I like the old way of editing by ear and then fine tuning the edit points a lot, actually.  Totally different results than I would get otherwise.

303 has the same polyphony as the Octatrack, and they used to be a lot cheaper than an Octatrack before the lo-fi-beats crowd started overpaying for them.