IGNORED

What Releases Do you Miss the Most on Streaming Platforms

thedisavowed

Outside of the usual suspects (Autechre, Boards, Aphex, etc), which albums/eps/singles/12 inches do you most keenly miss when you're on the popular streaming platforms? Which mp3s/flacs do you find yourself reaching for the most?

Edited by thedisavowed

In my experience, most stuff that's not in the major streaming services can be streamed from Bandcamp.  That being said, if there was a 'streaming aggregator' type thing that would mix those services, Bandcamp, and my own stuff, I'd buy it in a second.  Old school Google Music used to do something like that(minus the Bandcamp), but now I'll have to figure out Plex if I want to do any of that kind of thing.

7 hours ago, sidewinder said:

What? Do you mean what releases aren't available to stream? If so that was a long and awkward way to say that. ?

Ha no yeah exactly. I pulled my mp3s back out because I had releases that aren’t and probably will never be on streaming. That’s what I mean - files you still keep even with the whole worlds music at your fingertips on Spotify etc

6 hours ago, BaggerMcGuirk said:

In my experience, most stuff that's not in the major streaming services can be streamed from Bandcamp.  That being said, if there was a 'streaming aggregator' type thing that would mix those services, Bandcamp, and my own stuff, I'd buy it in a second.  Old school Google Music used to do something like that(minus the Bandcamp), but now I'll have to figure out Plex if I want to do any of that kind of thing.

Not so much talking technology - I’m talking about releases that aren’t and probably won’t ever be on streaming platforms. 

• thedisavowed changed the title to What Releases Do you Miss the Most on Streaming Platforms

Pretty sure almost everything I like is up there now. King Crimson is now up. Don’t think Devo is on Spotify. Skee Mask obviously, and DJ Metatron/ POD/Traumprinz. OPN’s Commissions EPs are currently missing though have been up in the past also Returnal has recently just been taken down.

Would like Analogue Bubblebaths and Analord but then I’d also like to win the lottery ?

Edited by beerwolf

Just a couple things that I’ve noticed recently:

Speedy J

Lots of Coil

Popol Vuh

Lots of Ryuichi Sakamoto

Galwad y Mynydd

Gorky’s Zygotic Mynci

and of course lots of my favorite “smaller” / more independent artists are rightfully missing

Milieu / CH

Donnacha Costello

JK

Donovan Hikaru

etc.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

altough if we count youtube as a streaming plataform this channel has a nice chuck of the rephlex catalog posted 

https://youtube.com/user/hollyhotfoot 

but yea, def most reached to mp3s for me

Does the "Feed Me Weird Things" reissue give you any hope on this front?

3 minutes ago, thedisavowed said:
3 hours ago, MIXL2 said:

altough if we count youtube as a streaming plataform this channel has a nice chuck of the rephlex catalog posted 

https://youtube.com/user/hollyhotfoot 

but yea, def most reached to mp3s for me

Does the "Feed Me Weird Things" reissue give you any hope on this front?

idk man.. there was also the reissue of flyin' lo fi https://jpbuckle.bandcamp.com/album/flyin-lo-fi but who knows about all the other stuff

time shall tell

Theres a fair bit of the Rephlex catalogue on Spotify (mostly stuff thats been reissued more recently) but yes the vast majority is frustratingly absent.

Weme Records, West Mineral, Experiences Ltd, Ominira, 5 Gate Temple, many small labels who won't do it.

And artists such as Terre Themlitz, Joanna Newsom and Zoviet*France who seem to be completely against streaming.

The annoying thing is when stuff is absent for mysterious rights reasons. Newworldaquarium's Dead Bears seems to leave and return at random. Guided By Voices have 30 albums yet 1 of them is missing.

• Like 1

I know I put the warp stable off limits but it was the disappearance of Autechre’s Peel Sessions that kind of put me over the top. 

A lot of old Mo’ Wax stuff is missing too. A lot of DJ mixes seem to be victims of this too, probably for licensing reasons. I’ve been getting surprising mileage off some of DJ Krush’s old stuff I used to listen to in college. 

I missed DJ Krush’s Code 4109 in particular. 

On 10/23/2021 at 2:19 AM, beerwolf said:

Don’t think Devo is on Spotify.

They are in the US.

On 10/23/2021 at 5:22 AM, ascdi said:

Speedy J

Recently had to sync a couple of his albums to my phone as something prompted me to revisit and they weren't on Spotify.

A few others I recently had to sync in iTunes:

Drive Like Jehu - s/t
Antipop Consortium - Tragic Epilogue

• Like 1

my ipod has yeesland at 33rpm pitched up a little bit. 

ipod > streaming except for actual piss streaming which is undefeated. 

Edited by ignatius

On 10/23/2021 at 6:49 AM, thedisavowed said:

I know I put the warp stable off limits but it was the disappearance of Autechre’s Peel Sessions that kind of put me over the top. 

A lot of old Mo’ Wax stuff is missing too. A lot of DJ mixes seem to be victims of this too, probably for licensing reasons. I’ve been getting surprising mileage off some of DJ Krush’s old stuff I used to listen to in college. 

I missed DJ Krush’s Code 4109 in particular. 

kakusei & strictly turntablized ftw

Favourite albums not on Spotify:

Jonathan Richman - Rockin and Romance with the Modern Lovers

De La Soul - Three Feet High and Rising

Atone - Atone (Australian deep electronic dub, part of the Clan Analog movement) 

Ashtray Boy - The Honeymoon Suite

Global Communications/Chapterhouse- Pentamerous Metamorphosis

Danger Mouse/Beatles/Jay Z - The Grey Album

Until recently also would have added My Bloody Valentine but Kevin Shields caved, haha. Why, Kevin??! Oh yeah the dollarz 
  • Like 1

I was just updating my 2006 list on Spotify and came across a few good ones that aren't available.

Flying Lotus - 1983
AFX - Chosen Lords (already mentioned)
Plaid - TEKKONKINKREET OST
Plaid & Bob Jaroc - Greedy Baby
Clark - Throttle Furniture EP
Clark - Throttle Clarence EP
OOO - Aether Dynamic