IGNORED

What do we expect now from AE?

cern

+1 for the vinyl series of club bangers, which I've hoped for in previous "what will ae do next" threads. 

Literally guys just release 5x12" EPs chock full of absolute balls to the wall electro gonk smashers, show the current crop of techno heads how it's done. 

• Like 9

ok, i'm a conservative, but I will not feel at peace with my destiny until I will have at least one soundboard of the Overteps Tour. If in the long wait for the day they can make a new live and publish a new album, the two officers of the absurd wanted to fill this - sublime - missing link, I would find meaning to my days again

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

+1 for the vinyl series of club bangers, which I've hoped for in previous "what will ae do next" threads. 

Literally guys just release 5x12" EPs chock full of absolute balls to the wall electro gonk smashers, show the current crop of techno heads how it's done. 

skin-crying-single-tear-tear.gif

• Haha 3

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/30/2021 at 3:13 AM, asmartkidbcn said:

I thought just the same. Some kind of 2h NTS Sessions pt2 as a live act would be beautiful.

It sure would but ultimately, all I can say for sure I expect from Sean and Rob is good music

• Like 5

Their old "system" more or less started with Oversteps and Move of Ten right?

Sign and Plus feel a lot like those two to me. Lush melodies/sparse beats.

So potentially, they approached the first experiments with the new "system" the same way they did with the previous one.

Which means the next release might be what they consider to be the "new system's Exai".

That's my prediction. Which still doesn't give us any idea what it might sound like, but I'm gonna guess that creatively, they're in a similar position where they were with Exai... (i.e. getting comfortable with some new tools and putting together something quite ambitious with those tools).

• Like 4

It is pretty sad that Autechre is all about finding new systems and soundscapes with COMPUTER. 
Aphex can just pick up stuff switching from computer to analogue synts, modulars etx all the time but its like Ae is stuck in the computer world. 

?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Facepalm 2
  • Farnsworth 1

45 minutes ago, cern said:

It is pretty sad that Autechre is all about finding new systems and soundscapes with COMPUTER. 
Aphex can just pick up stuff switching from computer to analogue synts, modulars etx all the time but its like Ae is stuck in the computer world. 

?

digital >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> analog

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Meaning this in the very best way, but Ae doesn't typically "surprise" me. Everything new that they release seems track aesthetically with what they have / had been up to with the previous couple of releases even though it often goes to weirder, (and until the last few years) increasingly fragmented places. Untilted did genuinely surprise me, actually, because its general vibe (although not necessarily its details) seemed so much more square than what they'd been doing for the previous seven years or so. One Six surprised a bit as well, but not to the same extent. Similar sound to other recent material but such a slow burn by comparison.

I don't know what I'd like to hear next. I would actually love some more distillations of the material that manifested in various ways during the AE LIVE, el-seq, One Six, and NTS era. Maybe they've already explored that as much they want, but it somehow felt like some of those pieces were still advancing toward their final form. There was that one live 2010 bit that made its way onto EXAI as well. I liked how those different versions played with my continued enjoyment on multiple listens. Sort of sabotages my ability to anticipate exactly what the next modulation will be when listening from having heard those different iterations.

The last ten years of Autechre have been, hands down, my favorite, so I'm confident that whatever is next will be delightful whether or not it's surprising.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

On 11/24/2021 at 12:31 PM, cern said:

?

No wonder the person saying does sow with an avatar of one of the Analord series. Good tuneage but you're living in the past. Autechre keep pushing forward and delivering pretty unbelievably great sounds. If you ask me, it's fucking incredible they can get those sounds from the computer. And honestly some mindbendingly strange sounds regardless of their provenance.

Enjoy whatever music you like, but 'round these parts, them's fightin' words.

• Like 1