IGNORED

Albums from your childhood

YangYing

I was recently reminded of this cd mom used to play to me that I obsessively listened to from ages 4-10

is legit quite good

any such memories from y'all?

member this used to give me nightmares edit: probs where my obssesion w gabber comes from eh 

can also name villancicos, South American christmas music

crazy feels revisiting old music u hear when rlly young

edit2: I'm sure there has been a similar thread b4 if so pls merge ❤️

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 3

I had a tape titled Junior Jug Band which was a compilation of kids songs that someone copied for me. Used to play the hell out of it and still remember the songs but it's not on YouTube. I found it on discogs and was by these guys but it wasn't any of these specific albums, just a mix of this and that:

https://www.discogs.com/artist/8153012-Junior-Jug-Band

IMG_8023.jpg

Edit 

Just so I have something to share, it had this song on it

Oh snap I can buy it

https://www.kenwhiteley.com/product-category/junior-jug-band/

Edited by yekker
  • Like 1

My parents used to have this CD and I remember listening to it and being a little scared of it lol. Good times. I was like 6 when I listened to it and I only recently found the name of it again after looking for it FOR YEARS. I only remembered the sunflowers on the cover and that's how I ended up finding it again lol.

Edited by thumbass
  • Like 2

I mean loads of pop songs from what was popular back in the day, I used to record tapes from the radio. Kaoma - Lambada, The Sunclub - Fiesta, Daft Punk - Around the World, Moby, Lil Louis - French Kiss, but also Destiny's Child, first Korn things, Ozzy / Black Sabbath, and all the top 40 stuff, bad trance things, Eminem, whatever else. The first 10 TMF Hitzone CD compilations. 

Specifically to this forum though, one of the first music things I remember, earliest memories. I was two / three when these came out but my brothers who were already teenagers had them on all the time:

My mum also had this compilation which I loved:

Also Peer Gynt Suite, Vangelis - 1492. There was always gabber around the house too, Speedy J, Prodigy, Chemical Brothers as well. Then my brother showed me Beastie Boys - Hello Nasty, Nirvana - Nevermind, Steve Rachmad - Emerging mix CD and some Aphex classics while I was playing with lego (the Classics comp with On at the end) in 1998. Mr. Oizo - Flat Beat CD single being the first music I ever bought soon after that.

Also one of the most precious things to me is I somehow ended up with this tape when I was 10 ish:

https://www.discogs.com/release/1569460-Company-Flow-DJ-Spinna-Company-Flow-Presents-Little-Johnny-From-The-Hospital-Breaks-Instrumentals-Ra

Still have no memory of how I got it, probably through a mate of a brother? But it was life changing, both Company Flow and DJ Spinna, took it everywhere on my walkman. Even more awesome when I met DJ Spinna in 2019 at Dekmantel and he signed that tape. 

• Like 1

Notable albums I really liked between the age of like 4-11

Jean-Michel Jarre - Oxygene

Talk Talk - It's My Life

Deadmau5 - >Album Title Goes Here< (showing my age here - or lack of thereof lol)

Peter Gabriel - So

Pink Floyd - Meddle

Skrillex - Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites

Explosions in the Sky - The Earth Is Not a Cold Dead Place

Genesis - Invisible Touch

Tears for Fears - The Hurting

Gym Class Heroes - The Papercut Chronicles

Edited by milkface
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Soloman Tump said:

My parents used to listen to Rod Stewart ON FUCKING REPEAT and I will be glad if I never have to hear any of his songs ever again. 

SNAP! My dad had pretty good taste (Tangerine Dream and Ennio Morricone) so my mum was the guilty party with Rod Stewart. If my dad wanted to listen to his music he had to lock himself in the spare room with his stereo because my mum hated it ? 

Edited by beerwolf

56 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

SNAP! My dad had pretty good taste (Tangerine Dream and Ennio Morricone) so my mum was the guilty party with Rod Stewart. If my dad wanted to listen to his music he had to lock himself in the spare room with his stereo because my mum hated it ? 

My mother also listened to Rod Stewart lol, also Bruce Springsteen, Elvis and Roy Orbison, while my father was all about the Beatles and sometimes Rolling Stones. My sister and I would blast this music for days on end so that was my childhood music more or less. As corny as these artists might get, it's still quality music compared to any of today's autotune pop music.

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

As corny as these artists might get, it's still quality music compared to any of today's autotune pop music.

Definitely. I have plenty of Stones, Beatles and Springsteen albums in my collection. They’ve gathered some dust in the last 15 years though.

Edited by beerwolf

3 hours ago, beerwolf said:

Definitely. I have plenty of Stones, Beatles and Springsteen albums in my collection. They’ve gathered some dust in the last 15 years though.

Likewise, on cassettes (tapes) mostly. Somehow it's more of a treat to catch them somewhere "off-guard" like in a mall or on a radio station. There is this dive bar (more of a dank dark club actually) in my town that books a dj once in a blue moon to play some old tunes like that and it always turns into a party.

The Godzilla OST. The American one from the late 90s. I used to dance to it with my cousins when I was... 5 or 6? Haven't heard this in 20 years. It's crazy how I can remember lyrics and instrumentals from when I was 5

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

Earliest memories - Age 4-5?. First interaction w cassettes was blanks and some disney christmas carol tape.  but Records - My dad was super strict about me not touching his stereo system, but my grandmother didn't care if I used hers as long as I was gentle. She only had spanish records and sinatra type stuff, except for this Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer LP . I would always come over and want to put it on even though wasn't Christmas. I think part of the novelty was that I was allowed to use the record player.

My parents played a lot of music growing up that reminds me of being a kid, but that Rudolph record was the first one that felt like it was my mine.