IGNORED

Favorite (Electronic) Album of 1991

Boxus

I've been in a Biosphere mood lately and I think Microgravity might be my favorite of that year, it's such a beautiful album. It's either that or Lego Feet for me.

But there's so many other classics too - FSOL, The Orb, Plaid, LFO, Nightmares on Wax...

What do you think?

• Like 1

Great topic. 1991 is before my time, so my opinion doesn’t really count, but for pure enjoyment, maybe Kraftwerk — The Mix. Love’s Secret Domain surely deserves a mention as well.

Next: let’s do 2001

• Like 4

Hah! It’s funny because in 1991 I wasn’t into electronic music at all. The rave scene seemed quite silly to me (still does if I’m honest though I recognise and respect the spirit of its rebellion against the mainstream) and I was a pure thrash metal head though 91 was the year I started to shift into more alternative guitar music (MBV, Sonic Youth, REM, Smashing Pumpkins) which which of course was centred around the explosion of Nirvana (who ironically I wasn’t that fussed about) so best albums for me were Weld by Neil Young and Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden both of which would still be in my top 25 albums of all time all these years later. It wasn’t until I heard Aphex Twin in 94/95 that my attitude towards modern electronic music started to radically change.

Sorry about the life story post but I’m a bit unwell at the moment and a bit bored.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 6

There are 1504 electronic albums on Discogs released in 1991 (by master release), could do some scripting and get a list here.

Massive Attack's Blue Lines is 1991, as is Nightmare on Wax's A Word Of Science, and Yello's Baby - not forgetting Tangerine Dreams' Canyon Dreams.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

Since we're talking just about electronic albums, I'd guess it'd probably be a tie between the self-titled release of X-101 and Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld from The Orb with ex:el, Accelerator, and Blue Lines close behind. I think Orbital and LFO excelled more at singles and EPs at this time. I might be in the vast minority with this opinion but I found the outtakes of Loves Secret Domain a fair bit more interesting than the main release

• Like 2

10 hours ago, joshuatxuk said:

If we are going with music we actually listened to / heard in 1991 - in which case I was 5 - I have to say this 

yeah I was 4 at the time myself so this is all retrospective for me. though coincidentally Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld was one of the first electronic albums I ever heard and kickstarted my interest in the genre (even though I didn't hear it til around '99)

great picks everyone, I had never heard x-101 but I'm glad I checked it out, good shit

• Like 1