IGNORED

Why is Autechre so difficult for people to like?

cern

It is!

I have red Reddit-comments like: "Autechre played white noise with feedback for 45 minutes, most horrible act I ever seen."
I don't take this guy for his word but I understand if he or she was completely lost. 

I have several discussions with normal music lovers and the ALWAYS say the same: Incunabula, Amber and Tri Rep is good but they don't get their new style at all. 
"They do too much programmed music with too much digital cold sounds and no warm shredding with beats."  say one person I talk with about Autechres work.

Is it too complex sometimes? 

Should they make more "easy listen" music? 

9 minutes ago, Alcofribas said:

sean is simply too mental

From making beats to go all in 4'33 by John Cage. 

Nobody understands shit except us Autechre IDM wattum heads ?

33 minutes ago, cern said:

Should they make more "easy listen" music? 

Nein. I just hope they keep doing what they do, enjoying creating and having the freedom to focus on it. If I happen to like and still get pleasure from their work, bonus. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, cern said:

I have red Reddit-comments like: "Autechre played white noise with feedback for 45 minutes, most horrible act I ever seen."

This could've been on the OneSix tour where Russell Haswell was warming up for them, at least in Helsinki Haswell's set was noise w/ effects for about 45 minutes, really nasty and harsh ear-splitting material, real cringy.

Too complex? No. Fold4, Wrap5 is probably the most complex rhythmically, and Gantz Graf is pretty intense (it hasn't prevented me from ending a couple of electro sets with it), but personally I've never had any problems with their material. Some of it requires repeated exposure and high tolerance for precise/algorithmic composition, but too complex? Not even close.

• Like 3

A long time ago when I was at uni in the States, there was an Asian American in the room a couple of doors down in the dorm.  They had a big wipeable board outside their door for messages.  One day coming back from class there was a queue of 20 other Asian American kids filing into the room.  I looked at the message board and they had written, "Only the cool people are allowed in this room".  I replaced this with, "Only the oriental people are allowed in this room".  There was uproar when they filed back out.  Still makes me chuckle.  Anyway, only the cool people are allowed in the autechre room.

• Like 2
  • Facepalm 2

2 hours ago, kakapo said:

A long time ago when I was at uni in the States, there was an Asian American in the room a couple of doors down in the dorm.  They had a big wipeable board outside their door for messages.  One day coming back from class there was a queue of 20 other Asian American kids filing into the room.  I looked at the message board and they had written, "Only the cool people are allowed in this room".  I replaced this with, "Only the oriental people are allowed in this room".  There was uproar when they filed back out.  Still makes me chuckle.  Anyway, only the cool people are allowed in the autechre room.

Really? Some racist shit you said a long time ago "still makes you chuckle"? How old are you now? 

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

^ I worked with one guy that said Autechre sounded like a trainer stuck in a washing machine. He also said it was clearly "drug music". 

That guy was mistaken. Autechre sounds like an electric coil stuck in a washing machine. Here's the proof:

• Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 1

oppressive conditioning of big music business corps on what society should listen to, in this case "pop". Pop is normal, is great, anything else is weird/"avant-garde", therefore not likeable. 

Edited by logakght
  • Like 2