IGNORED

Why is Autechre so difficult for people to like?

cern

3 hours ago, Shimon_Shimon said:

^ I worked with one guy that said Autechre sounded like a trainer stuck in a washing machine. He also said it was clearly "drug music". 

maybe he was actually listening to matmos

• Like 2

Don’t understand all these people in the year 2021 who you read about who hate everything Autechre have done since Amber in 1994. Funnily enough I read one today on RYM on NTS it said something like ‘awful music made by men who once made Slip’. Why do they still care? Odd. 

I think it’s a bit of a weird myth that Autechre just make impenetrable walls of sound. If they actually listened to Quaristice, Oversteps, Elseq and Sign will hear plenty of beautiful music that could happily be on Amber II. 

Maybe some are Radiohead fans. You know indie kids who were impressed with themselves because they rode the fairly easy 180 degree wave of Kid A and through that went and bought Amber. And then Confield. And got their brain properly squished in the process.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Some people like puzzles, some folks like crosswords, some like chess and some like suduko. I listen to Autechre. It’s actually almost the same thing. At least in my eyes. Or ears. You know trying to work it all out, unscrambling all the sounds and patterns. I know this because the last few days I’ve finally attempted to scale the imposing wall that is NTS. Finally.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Really? 

Yes lol.

Here's another one for you.  At the international students orientation they were giving us a welfare lecture and what to look out for if we thought one of our peers was a drug user.  They started talking about lack of care over personal hygiene and appearance.  At which point I shouted, "look, all the germans have been smoking marijuana". 

• Haha 2

They have a very high bar of entry. I'm glad I got into them when I did, cos if I looked at them now I would be overwhelmed and that would just be by the size of the discography, let alone the relatively impenetrable music. Generally if I talk to people about them, I'll be like they're incredible/incomparable to anyone else/etc, maybe I'll talk about "the autechre effect"/click that I'm p sure everyone here can relate to, then I'll be like, but seriously, don't bother - by all means check them out, but I won't be offended if you are like wtf is this shit.

Autechre's music is too pure? I mean, if their recent stuff is just machine algorithms generating tones, then it's really just an sonification of mathematics, a pure universal language, where maths is too dense for a good number of people. Maybe Autechre should stick to y=mx+c if they want to produce sanitised pop music.

Edited by Kid Lukie
dfgweurfthw809f i9p7uhvpero98gfjhoiwp8etgyhweri9wpghswer;kuighep9o8gheripo8ghsddrpguivhe89prgyer98vhs;lkiwtgujfhp9e8guhedzs;rguilhne

What I think I was trying to say was:

They're just not for everyone, and that's fine. Not in an elitist or clever clever way, they just aren't.

And, i think they are also pretty far ahead of their time. When Miles Davis released On The Corner, it was widely hated, even (especially?) by people who were into jazz. Now, nearly 50 years later it's generally regarded as classic by people who are into music. But still the vast majority of people, probably even the majority of music fans, won't have heard it or like it - even though it's great, it's still not for everyone.

• Like 1

Ok, it is not immediate music, this is an objective fact. Even those in it begin to appreciate an album after some time. Not that it is necessarily difficult, as, on the contrary, contemporary could be, and this is what makes the refusal of many less understandable: there are points of contact with pop, in a very broad sense of course, but it's not academic music. But it still requires attention. The academic musician looks at it with suspicion precisely because the sounds are not those of the cultured music, and then there isn't the traditional aspect that is "the performance of the musician" (the notion that music, above all, is idea, and that the execution is just a way to concretize, is not yet been conquered). On the other hand, the non-academic listener often has a relationship with music that is entirely recreational. He has other interests, and music is a side excipient, and to be such it must be immediate. A friend once told me: "I work 10 hours a day in the ward, when I'm at home I want to disconnect the brain, the stereo must anesthetize me, not give me a new job to decode something that seems to come out of Lovecraft's imagination". So not Autechre in itself, but the role we want to give to the musical fact. And than, Ae can't fit in a category, and to get into it you have to put aside preconceptions and expectations. 
  • Like 1

Pick any avant-garde or experimental act you dont get/you dont like.

The reason people dont like AE are probably similar to why you dont like this act.

For example can you go through the full length of this? ( i cant)

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 3

I think it's easy to take for granted the "intuitive music vocabulary" we get from listening to this stuff over time that makes us like certain kinds of music even more than we used to as time goes on. We can listen and go "look wasn't that so cool that rhythm motif right there? Controlled Chaos that shows itself the more you listen!" and someone who hasn't listened to much of this kind of music will go "I dunno it's just random noises with. Sound Design is cool but Aphex Twin makes these same sounds but knows what to do with them." (an actual conversation I had once more or less)

So it can be helpful to someone who wants to check this kind of music out, maybe they like the 'easier to get into tracks'. Tell them what you hear, why track x is appealing to you even if first few listens it seems random when it isn't at all.

I mean most people start out just liking straightforward catchy music since it's very obvious 'musical vocabulary' and will go on looking for solely catchy music unless they have a desire to expand what they think of as music. Sometimes they can be kickstarted by showing them what you look for.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 3

49 minutes ago, Brisbot said:

I think it's easy to take for granted the "intuitive music vocabulary" we get from listening to this stuff over time that makes us like certain kinds of music even more than we used to as time goes on. We can listen and go "look wasn't that so cool that rhythm motif right there? Controlled Chaos that shows itself the more you listen!" and someone who hasn't listened to much of this kind of music will go "I dunno it's just random noises with. Sound Design is cool but Aphex Twin makes these same sounds but knows what to do with them." (an actual conversation I had once more or less)

So it can be helpful to someone who wants to check this kind of music out, maybe they like the 'easier to get into tracks'. Tell them what you hear, why track x is appealing to you even if first few listens it seems random when it isn't at all.

I mean most people start out just liking straightforward catchy music since it's very obvious 'musical vocabulary' and will go on looking for solely catchy music unless they have a desire to expand what they think of as music. Sometimes they can be kickstarted by showing them what you look for.

connoisseur.png

only kidding

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

strange textures, rhythmic patterns, repetition, subtle modulations across repitition cycles, literal lack of lyrics, lack of traditional instruments, all make it hard for the uninitiated to think there's anything there.  i think it's cultural and psychological too, they want to not like it and they want to make fun of it and change the topic.  in the right context they actually would sit and try to appreciate it, but such a context rarely exists

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

strange textures, rhythmic patterns, repetition, subtle modulations across repitition cycles, literal lack of lyrics, lack of traditional instruments, all make it hard for the uninitiated to think there's anything there.  i think it's cultural and psychological too, they want to not like it and they want to make fun of it and change the topic.  in the right context they actually would sit and try to appreciate it, but such a context rarely exists

This is a good answer.. Of course we keep in mind that people who not listen to electronic at all gonna have extremely difficult time to feel something with Ae.. My father is like "Where is the real drums? Not machine programed shit and where is the lyrics?" lol.  The lack of stuff makes people frustrated. 

But Im looking after the people who likes electronic music like this and I quote him here: 

listened a lot to Autechre. However, I am mostly in the previous albums where the warm, flowing, electronic feeling was. Here it can be seen that Rob & Sean adore: zoviet * france: (just like me). After Tri Repetae, I gradually lost interest when the fast, fragmented rhythms began to take over and the records felt too programmed and digital. The exception is Confield which I feel a lot of sympathy for with the more experimental approach they used there, with musique concrete elements and such.

I have no Idea what he ment by Rob and Sean adore Zoviet - France. 

17 minutes ago, cern said:

This is a good answer.. Of course we keep in mind that people who not listen to electronic at all gonna have extremely difficult time to feel something with Ae.. My father is like "Where is the real drums? Not machine programed shit and where is the lyrics?" lol.  The lack of stuff makes people frustrated. 

But Im looking after the people who likes electronic music like this and I quote him here: 

I have no Idea what he ment by Rob and Sean adore Zoviet - France. 

https://pitchfork.com/features/interview/6012-autechre/

>We've done stuff with Zoviet France as well, a load of live sets back in 1994.

• Like 1

I remember one of them brushing off the notion that their music was for 'the initiated only' or something, but it seems theres some truth to it. Not that you need to be especially smart to enjoy it, on the contrary I feel it speaks to something childlike or primal in us. And of course, there is an excitement about one's favourite band being quite unknown, like being in a special club xD

• Like 1

18 hours ago, thefxbip said:

Pick any avant-garde or experimental act you dont get/you dont like.

The reason people dont like AE are probably similar to why you dont like this act.

For example can you go through the full length of this? ( i cant)

Yeah that's a good point, tbf doesn't even have to be Avant Garde. I mean Opera isn't necessarily avant garde but it sure ain't for everyone.

I bet there's Opera forums where they're like "Why is Opera so difficult to like?"

• Like 2