IGNORED

Why is Autechre so difficult for people to like?

cern

19 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

connoisseur.png

only kidding

Kidding or not this happens a lot. This is how some people are going to react. The "you are a snob" thing only applies if you think that being into something makes you better than someone else intrinsically. That, or if the person who is accusing the other of being a snob assumes that just because someone likes something (Wine/Autechre/ASMR Videos) and "sees more" in that something that appears the same to them, and they can't see it, the other person must be full of shit because clearly the music is just random drum beats and noise. And they must think they're better than you even though in reality it's just a hobby for them and they are excited to share and talk about it, jumping at the chance when it comes up in conversation.

Edited by Brisbot
  • Like 1

as other styles and unknown bands is just patience & open mind listening it. This does not match modern consumer behavior, I suppose they prefer the effortless comfort of what sounds anywhere.

autechre is the phish of idm. change my mind.

countless live sets, both official and unofficial.  endless nerddom and pondering over everything they do. becoming obsessed with autechre  can make other music seem quaint by comparison.  people who arent interested, really really really arent interested.

5 minutes ago, nikisoko said:

countless live sets, both official and unofficial.  endless nerddom and pondering over everything they do. becoming obsessed with autechre  can make other music seem quaint by comparison.  people who arent interested, really really really arent interested.

Sorry m8, you just described Boards of Canada and fans.

• Burger 1

3 minutes ago, oscillik said:

I guess u don't know as much about BoC as u think u do m8

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Gigs

https://bocpages.org/wiki/Other_live_sets

pretty slim compared to

https://archive.org/details/Autechre

https://www.discogs.com/master/907329-Autechre-AE_LIVE

A bit more than 1 live set m8.

neway, clearly BoC has the more cultish following. I'm amongst the hardcore ae listeners here, but I don't obsess over everything they do or ponder it all. It's just cool music, for cool people ?

Peace and love, peace and love

3 hours ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

Yeah that's a good point, tbf doesn't even have to be Avant Garde. I mean Opera isn't necessarily avant garde but it sure ain't for everyone.

I bet there's Opera forums where they're like "Why is Opera so difficult to like?"

I love classical and classical contemporary with passion but (except for a few isolated things) i fucking hate opera so much. Never more than 15 min. Fucking disgusting vibrato everywhere.

I love acapella polyphony that has less vibrato tho.

I should make a shirt written ''Kill Vibrato in Opera'' on it.

(Kill Vibrato as new moniker maybe? mmm hahaha)

Edited by thefxbip

Also you can basically see how far someone is willing to go musically by how many time they say : ''this is not music'' ''this is just noise''

If someone says this often probably means they are not very aedventurous music wise.

Every step i took toward exploration in music has precisely been to go against the reflex of calling it just noise or nonsense. At first lots of good music shocks you, or confuse you and challenge your expectations.

Half of my favorite music right now was not my favorite at first. Sometimes the first emotion might be confusion or disgust. But if youre really interested in music after a few times you know there might be something in there and that if you stick with it maybe its gonna bear fruits.

But not everyone truly care about music enough to question first impression and stick around.

For some its just something secondary that have the importance of ice cream or something lol

Edited by thefxbip

55 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Also you can basically see how far someone is willing to go musically by how many time they say : ''this is not music'' ''this is just noise''

If someone says this often probably means they are not very aedventurous music wise.

Every step i took toward exploration in music has precisely been to go against the reflex of calling it just noise or nonsense. At first lots of good music shocks you, or confuse you and challenge your expectations.

Half of my favorite music right now was not my favorite at first. Sometimes the first emotion might be confusion or disgust. But if youre really interested in music after a few times you know there might be something in there and that if you stick with it maybe its gonna bear fruits.

But not everyone truly care about music enough to question first impression and stick around.

For some its just something secondary that have the importance of ice cream or something lol

i dont care about being adventurous or openminded with music, i dont put effort into liking things just because they are avant garde or weird, i like what i like and i dont like what i dont like, and i like ae because it's likeable, it doesn't take effort.  rather it invokes effort, it's so good that you want to keep listening, and that makes it get better over time

• Like 1

People who are not musically adventurous enough are pieces of actual shit. Human garbage. They are low class people and they should be gathered together in one place where I don't have to see them. They make me fucking puke whenever I look at one. It's actually a real medical  condition. Look it up. It begins with the letter P. But it's a silent P. It's not life threatening if you catch it in time, which fortunately for me they did. But only just. I was pretty lucky.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Burger 1
  • Farnsworth 2

Most folks probably treat music the same way they do food I reckon. They consume it for nourishment and comfort, and they feel like standalone music should have lyrics by default. But I'm generalizing.

Just trying to put myself in the shoes of those who aren't privy to Ae in the first place. Takes effort to speculate though, since I've learned to accept their music since my mid teens. Plus I never really cared about lyrics in general anyway. The sound/instrumentals alone was always enough for me.

Also 69th.

3 hours ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

i dont care about being adventurous or openminded with music, i dont put effort into liking things just because they are avant garde or weird, i like what i like and i dont like what i dont like, and i like ae because it's likeable, it doesn't take effort.  rather it invokes effort, it's so good that you want to keep listening, and that makes it get better over time

Well i would say its more like acclimatizing one self to a new language than just mind numbing effort.

Sure you can just say, i dont give a fuck i wont learn this language, i dont understand but its nice to know different languages.

Usually there is something in there that catch the interest to keep going its not just conscious intellectual effort. But it may take time to acclimatize.

Music is language, if youve never heard some things in musical vocabulary that a piece use it might take time to appreciate the full extent of what is expressed.

I dont like to consider my subjective taste as perfect and finished. It's a work in progress and that leaves the door open to new discoveries in music. Things that have value do not necessarily give instant gratification, i could list some of my top favorite music that took at least 5 full listening before i truly got the feel of it.

Anyway, yeah. Patience can be rewarding when you seek new art. Not necessarily with avant garde or weird music it can be anything. Something as simple as a folk song or something from another country.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, nikisoko said:

says nothing about either of their actual sounds.

One thing ive noticed tho

Musicians dont have the same relationship to music. I think most musicians are a bit like scavengers or something haha . We look out to things to eat out and to recycle and feed us creatively. It's a different attitude than just consumption.

When you are in that mind frame you are naturally on the look out for challenges and new things to scavenger. Ideas that can feed your own ideas or destroy you aesthetically for renewal.

Its not just ''do i like this'' but i also ''how can i use this, does this gives me ideas/new musical challenge to try out'' so sometimes even if you dont like it right away but one element jump as you as new and possibly useful to you, you keep on listening.

Once you start thinking like this it never really switch off. 

I didnt really try to keep on listening as much if something was not instantly 100% my taste before becoming a musician. But its something you learn along the way that it can be greatly to your advantage if you do.

Sometime i will not even listen to a whole piece for the whole thing but just for a single element i want to immerse myself in and digest if i think i can use it somehow.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, usagi said:

says nothing about either of their actual sounds.

i’m not saying autechre sounds like phish.  in case i’m being misunderstood, autechre is one of my favorite groups, and i was never particularly in to phish. i’m just saying it invites a similar kind of obsessive ethos that i saw during the short lived time i spent with some serious phish-heads in high school. i feel like going over all the differences in autechre’s live sets is very similar to the tape swapping culture that was around phish and the grateful dead tours back in the day.  the other part of that was phish not making any sense to anyone else who wasn’t really invested in their music. 

Edited by nikisoko
  • Like 2