IGNORED

Winter/snow/cold song playlist

Himelstein

Just curious if any of u had any recommendations for a playlist when the snow is out, or if it’s cold. I’ve had one I’ve been adding shit to for years, it’s a lot of stuff like Vincent Gallo- When, Autechre- Eutow, John Coltrane, vangelis- Antarctica, mu-ziq- catkin and teasel, the instrumental ambient skinny puppy stuff, frank zappa’s more chill stuff (like burnt weeny sandwich) and Squarepusher iambic 5 poetry. It’s obviously way more expansive than that, but that’s a good rundown of the basics of what I guess I consider music for winter. Post whatever u think would fit!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, MIXL2 said:

no wonder I knew we had it b4 I made the thread lol 

those liquid fraction mixes are sorely missing from that thread tho

Damn- I did search winter before, and didn’t find it. That is a great list.

Edited by Himelstein
  • Like 1

I feel like Aphex Twin is a mostly winter artist. Also burial. Drukqs are great for the warm indoor nights when you're sitting in front of the fireplace. Untrue is great for the cold winter storms

I’m sure there’s a thread lurking in the archives about cold/winter weather tracks from a few years ago. Edit: Yep MIXL2 already posted it.

Edited by beerwolf
  • Big Brain 1

But is this any different than music you guys listen to in the spring/summer/fall? The first post lists music from very different genres; singer/songwriter, IDM, Jazz from the 50&60ies, drum n bass, industrial ambient, and experimental rock. 

I have different music preferences for different moods and situations, but I guess my music choices for when I work, relax or have some beers are quite stable throughout the year. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, scumtron said:

But is this any different than music you guys listen to in the spring/summer/fall? The first post lists music from very different genres; singer/songwriter, IDM, Jazz from the 50&60ies, drum n bass, industrial ambient, and experimental rock. 

I have different music preferences for different moods and situations, but I guess my music choices for when I work, relax or have some beers are quite stable throughout the year. 

I seriously listen to different types of jazz and a lot of other music in the winter vs the summer. I never really listen to a lot of jazz in the summer. With John Zorn and Air being pretty strong exceptions- albums like “the gift” by Zorn is totally summer sounding. 

Probably the best example I could give would be Vincent Gallo: When, John Coltrane: What’s New?, Bob Brookmeyer: Misty- all pretty hardcore winter to me.

Air: Premeirs Symptomes, Aphex Twin: Flim, John Zorn: The Gift- all pretty hardcore summer.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

Definitely- especially the end 

14 minutes ago, scumtron said:

Interesting. Could you describe winter music instead of giving examples? Do you find it colder or bleaker in some kind of way? Does it make you enjoy winter more, or does it make you long for summer?

it’s pretty hard to articulate but maybe the more obvious generic connections are how much Christmas music is jazz, or jazz versions of Christmas music is all over the place in the winter? Possibly the Charlie Brown music? With the summer it’s also sometimes generic stuff like tropical or island/Hawaii vibes. I don’t know what makes Aphex Twin: Flim summertimey, but I feel like it’s definitely there. 

there’s definitely a personal component like driving around at certain times in the snow listening to cevin key: the dragon experience, or Gallo- could be just my own association.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, scumtron said:

Interesting. Could you describe winter music instead of giving examples? Do you find it colder or bleaker in some kind of way? Does it make you enjoy winter more, or does it make you long for summer?

again, liquid fraction does a top job comparing these feels imo

Edited by MIXL2
  • Like 2