IGNORED

Biosphere - Shortwave Memories (Biophon, 21st January 2022)

purlieu

a0467120950_16.jpg

Gier keeping up his yearly album routine.

Iconic Norwegian producer and composer Biosphere follows up his evocative 'Angel's Flight' release with a new album set for release early in 2022. Shortwave Memories is an album inspired by the post-punk electronic music of the late 70's and early 80's, especially the productions of figures like Martin Hannett and Daniel Miller.

"The last few Biosphere albums have all been made using samples and software, but Shortwave Memories is a return to vintage analog hardware from the late 70s and early 80s. Most of these instruments do not have any presets or memory storage, so all the sounds were programmed from scratch. The idea was not so much to make music that sounds like it was written in the same period. It's more like what would happen if I had the chance to use the same instruments, and applied the same meticulous attention to detail as the producers mentioned above."

Presented as a continuous sonic journey, this stunning record unequivocally manifests a world of it's own and already feels like a timeless addition to the rest of the Biosphere catalogue.

Preview track sounds pretty good!

• Like 8
  • Thanks 3

That's weird. I checked out Bleep again today and they've pulled all the clips. I did get a chance to listen yesterday. My main memory was of how varied the tracks all sounded. Should be a good album.

Looking forward to this, should be interesting to hear a more traditional album after the last few were more sample based, didn't hear the clips but hope there is some of the old Biosphere mojo going on. 

• 1 month later...

My copy arrived a few hours ago. Listened through three times. What an amazing piece of work.

You can announce the album of the year already (20 days in LOL). There. I've called it.

• Like 1

Very evocative album. Amongst the other references I’m getting Tomorrow’s Harvest vibes. I guess the homage to 70s/early 80s sounds is what’s doing it. 

Edited by Extralife
  • Like 1

This is lovely, early days, but this is the best thing he's done since Patashnik imo

Yeah only a couple of listens in but this is a great LP.  I do like that Geir is always trying something new, not every one hits the same but he still knocks it out the park every few albums.  Early days but this could be up there with Substrata, Shenzhou and Dropsonde, reminds me of N-Plants in places but much more interesting.

• Like 1

Yeah, I love the fact that you never really know what his next album is going to be like. In the past few years he's done spectral eastern European folk ambient, ambient techno with spoken word samples, field recording-based ambience, sketches for synths and field recordings, mangled Beethoven recordings and now early analogue gear techno.

• Like 3

On 1/21/2022 at 6:11 PM, Extralife said:

Very evocative album. Amongst the other references I’m getting Tomorrow’s Harvest vibes. I guess the homage to 70s/early 80s sounds is what’s doing it. 

I’m hearing Tangerine Dream 

• Like 1