IGNORED

2021: Your favourite music

scumtron

1. Low - HEY WHAT
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!
3. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
4. BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory
5. 36 - The Other Side of Darkness (36 After Dark Version)
6. Czarface - Super What?
7. Turnstile - GLOW ON
8. Andy Shauf - Wilds
9. Makaya McCraven - Deciphering the Message
10. Filmmaker - Vlad Tapes

Skee Mask - Pool
Amon Tobin - How Do You Live
Andy Stott - Never the Right Time
Eli Keszler - Icons
Alva Noto - HYbr:ID
Darkside - Spiral
Modeselektor - Extended
Mr. Bill - Phantasmagoria
Radiohead - Kid A Mnesia Bonus Material

• Like 2

5 hours ago, jules said:

1. Low - HEY WHAT
2. Godspeed You! Black Emperor - G_d’s Pee AT STATE’S END!
3. Nala Sinephro - Space 1.8
4. BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory
5. 36 - The Other Side of Darkness (36 After Dark Version)
6. Czarface - Super What?
7. Turnstile - GLOW ON
8. Andy Shauf - Wilds
9. Makaya McCraven - Deciphering the Message
10. Filmmaker - Vlad Tapes

Skee Mask - Pool
Amon Tobin - How Do You Live
Andy Stott - Never the Right Time
Eli Keszler - Icons
Alva Noto - HYbr:ID
Darkside - Spiral
Modeselektor - Extended
Mr. Bill - Phantasmagoria
Radiohead - Kid A Mnesia Bonus Material

Oh yes, I really liked "BADBADNOTGOOD - Talk Memory" should have been on my list too.

For me, it's been another great year of new artist and label discovery, with some excellent releases by staple artists. 

Special Shout Outs

• Tom Hall: discovered via WATMM and totally hooked (thank you @auxien) Failed Attempts at Silence is an amazing album
  • Miho Hatori: Been picking up the Cibo Matto re-issues this year, so she'e been back on my radar. Between Isekai and Slice of Life is a kick ass album. Shame there isn't a physical release. Makes me want to go out and dance. 
  • Axis Records: Too much to keep up with, still working my way through the releases, but Jeroen Search's Alpha Centauri (thank you @brian trageskin), Jeff Mills + Rafael Leafar The Override Switch, and Shinedoe's The Observer have been standouts. 
  • Ishmael Cormack: Really like his music, reminds me at times of some of the 12k releases from Monocoastal/Taylor Deupree.
  • Jeannine Schulz: Consistently releasing music the past few years, great drifting ambient/guitar and processed field recordings. Hope she gets picked up by some more established labels. 

Electronic

Probably my favourite release on Raster Music since the label split. Never heard of him before, been making my way through his earlier albums. 

Field Recordings

Nice Italian label with 6 releases under their belt. This piece by Alyssa Moxley was the standout this year. 

First physical release from this label, like the project idea of main release (sounds recorded from windows, unprocessed from around the world)

Post-Punk/Dark Wave/Alternative

I love this band.I'd love to hear them play live, solid post-punk without sounding derivative. (IMO)There's a really cool scene in Australia for punk/alt metal, picked up quite a few albums here and there, but Bitumen are becoming a firm fave. Saw these guys live in a nice little Church near Kings X, first gig in 3 years. Nice shoegaze stylings. 

R&B/Soul

Edited by Shimon_Shimon
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

This is turning into a great thread. Solid effort and hard work put in. Last 3 years I’ve been looking into the past, enjoying all my old favourite records, listening to old records I never bought but had an eye on and delving into the back catalogues of artists I admire. It’s been thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating, but I’ve cast aside my interest in new music, almost entirely. I couldn’t do both. Maybe next year I’ll be more switched onto new music, because otherwise I might have to change my name to Dad Rock Beer Wolf. And I can’t be having that ?

Edited by beerwolf
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, beerwolf said:

This is turning into a great thread. Solid effort and hard work put in. Last 3 years I’ve been looking into the past, enjoying all my old favourite records, listening to old records I never bought but had an eye on and delving into the back catalogues of artists I admire. It’s been thoroughly enjoyable and fascinating, but I’ve cast aside my interest in new music, almost entirely. I couldn’t do both. Maybe next year I’ll be more switched onto new music, because I might have to change my name to Dad Rock Beer Wolf. And I can’t be having that ?

It is. Lots of great stuff to check out. I also keep seeing things that should be in my list. Alva Noto, Loraine James...

• Like 2

On 12/20/2021 at 5:20 AM, chenGOD said:

Taylor Swift - evermore

tsrono - starless, cloudless

always dreamed i’d end up close to Tay one day, i guess this’ll have to do :emotawesomepm9:

thanks chen tho

and thanks to others ITT mentioning my tunes, really cool seeing they made a lasting impression ?

anyway the boomkat.com all you can eat buffet of EOY lists is up for those of us who’ve been looking forward to it

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, auxien said:

always dreamed i’d end up close to Tay one day, i guess this’ll have to do :emotawesomepm9:

thanks chen tho

not to rain on your parade, but chen effed up in listing her right next to you in the first place, because that T-Swift album was actually from 2020.

I should not know these things, but sadly I do.

• Haha 3

finally got around to making my list.

great thread - and a great year of new music.

downstairs J - basement, etc… (Incienso)

Ross From Friends - Tread (Brainfeeder)

Martinou - Rift (Nous'klaer Audio)

Lone - Always Inside Your Head (Greco-Roman)

Facta - Blush (Wisdom Teeth)

Skee Mask - Pool (Ilian Tape)

Holy Other - Lieve (ホ)

Hoavi - Invariant (peak oil)

Hoavi - Music for Six Rooms (Balmat)

Overmono - fabric presents Overmono (fabric Records)

xphresh - xephon (3XL)

DJ Seinfeld - Mirrors (Ninja Tune)

Reptant - Return To Planet X'trapolis (LKR Records)

Joy Orbison - still slipping vol. 1 (XL Recordings)

CFCF - memoryland (BGM Solutions)

DARKSIDE - Spiral (Matador Records)

Client_03 - User Viewport (Astrophonica)

Priori - Your Own Power (NAFF)

Gacha Bakradze - Obscure Languages (Lapsus Records)

2022 should be rad - music wise. see you there.

Edited by species8472
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, zero said:

not to rain on your parade, but chen effed up in listing her right next to you in the first place, because that T-Swift album was actually from 2020.

I should not know these things, but sadly I do.

Yeah it was from December 2020 so close enough that I put it in 2021. 

plus I fulfilled @auxien’s life long desire to be next to Tay! Lol

• Like 1
  • Farnsworth 1

On 12/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, beerwolf said:

BOOM!! Those Kats have just dropped their end of year lists. Enjoy.

https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021

Max Tundra: https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1560

Kevin Martin (aka The Bug): https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1562

Jim O'Rourke: https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1578

JG Thirlwell (aka Foetus): https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1585 (this one looks noisy as fuck)

Deathprod: https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1593 (apparently he only listened to one record)

Andy Stott: https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1674

Oren Ambarchi: https://boomkat.com/charts/boomkat-end-of-year-charts-2021/1720

chengo approved.

Also I'd like to amend my list and add Biosphere - Angel's Delight. It came out in January and I've criminally neglected it since then. Lovely album from Mr. Jenssen.

• Like 1

Melon has posted up his best albums and singles of the year. 

I’m sure he usually posts up some fresh ‘Best to Worst’ (which I really enjoy) and ‘classics’ reviews this time of year.