IGNORED

Speedy J / Jochem Paap Bandcamp

auxien

Speedy J aka Jochem Paap aka other things too i think opened up a Bandcamp. i think much or all of this was available elsewhere but he's also got a pretty decent discount on the whole lot. from the page:

Hey, here's a selection of stuff I did between 1990 and 2007.
Originally released on +8, Warp and NovaMute.
Everything has been remastered.
For more recent stuff check the STOOR Bandcamp page and Electric Deluxe Bandcamp page. Cheers! J

i'm interested because someone here or on the notchatmm Discord turned me on to this release which i'm finally going to purchase: https://speedyj.bandcamp.com/album/vrs-mbnt-pcs-9598-ii

track two is the key one, great shit. 

anyway thought others might be interested perhaps

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

speedy j is way under appreciated imo. as your bc embed points out, he’s got a wide range of work. the ambient stuff for fax is so good and you’ve got a shocking hobby which ranks as one of the best idk albums of all time. 

his webcast stuff is awesome as well

• Like 3

I instabought the deal to cover my gaps. Quite a bit of overlap in my case but it makes the releases $2.25 a piece and puts Christmas money in J-Paap's pocket. Speedy is genius honestly. 

I always get fixated on reverse engineering tracks. I can remember asking somewhere how even though "DX" is in the title of dx-snth, there's no way FM synthesis could ever be that lush. I've always had PSS series Yamaha sounds in my head or Sega Genesis. Somebody answered that I'd be surprised over what could be done and the DX100 was all over Aphex's ambient works stuff. Anyway, I wish I could play that one for myself because it's like an audio analogy of the sun. I'd time the transitions to fade up across an actual night, into the sunrise and then conclude at dusk.   

• Like 2

19 hours ago, auxien said:

i'm interested because someone here or on the notchatmm Discord turned me on to this release which i'm finally going to purchase: https://speedyj.bandcamp.com/album/vrs-mbnt-pcs-9598-ii

Oh my god yes so much. Track 2 is just .... I've no idea how many times I've heard it ! So when Speedy J announced the digital remasters last night I couldn't wait to download a copy this morning !

Also only previously had a rather poopy rip of Loudboxer - so great to grab a FLAC of the bad boy !

• Like 1

Yasss. Thank you for the heads up, I have most of the material on vinyl already, some on CD as well, but full discog it is - the albums alone are worth it.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, auxien said:

anyway thought others might be interested perhaps

that release and the part I are both on my top 10 ambient releases evaa!! the 2nd track is a melancholic cousin of subrange 6-36 .... pure genius!!! the 1st track is a pure bliss

p.s. i like how deep he went in reduction with these releases, so much that he even removed all vowels from the titles ?

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, dcom said:

Oh and Krikc (Umek Rmx) on Bugmod, OMG ZERG RUSH, I've played that to death.

i know that one!!! great track!

a friend of mine played this one at the end of his dj act! that was something really special to me, something ill never forget

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Satans Little Helper said:

The "various ambient pieces 95-98 part 2" is so so much better than part 1 though. It's ridiculous. Part 2 blasts 1 out of the water.

possibly but you got to admit that the 4th track, flm, is a real beauty! ...they don't make them like that any more ?

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

BTW it's the first time Pepper (The Hot Mix) is officially available in digital, Warp released it only on vinyl and CD. There is also an alternative version of Symmetry (the definitive version of which is on AiII) on the !ive album.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mcbpete said:

Oh my god yes so much. Track 2 is just .... I've no idea how many times I've heard it ! So when Speedy J announced the digital remasters last night I couldn't wait to download a copy this morning !

hell yeah, i’m guessing it was you that showed me this track, danke! listened to it again driving last night, lush experience.

gonna listen to more this weekend, but so far the Kreck and Tanga releases both impressed me

17 hours ago, xox said:

possibly but you got to admit that the 4th track, flm, is a real beauty! ...they don't make them like that any more ?

Yup. It's a beaut. It reminds me of Boards of Canada btw. Similar kind of melancholy.

Edited by Satans Little Helper
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

The "various ambient pieces 95-98 part 2" is so so much better than part 1 though. It's ridiculous. Part 2 blasts 1 out of the water.

idk, listened to Part 1 through last night and it's pretty good, first half in particular. nothing on it is quite as outstanding as Mrg-Vrx from Part 2, but that could be said of much music in existence. 

• Like 1