IGNORED

Techno but NOT in a 4/4 way

cern

Yeah!

Sorry if I was not clear at the beginning... 

Normaly a techno Kick goes in 1-5-9-13 on a 16 step sequencer. 

I would love to hear tracks that is not having that style.. 

It seems most of you understands me ?

• Like 2

Obligatory Surgeon - Intro (Version II)

Time sig is 3/4. Bass drum every 4 16ths, chord mayhem every 3 16ths, they kiss every 12 16ths

Chrislo - 2 CV D'o

This recycles every 10 beats. RIP Chrislo Haas

Chrislo - Hangars D'Orion (from the same record)

4OTF for sure, but the synth parts are full on ketamine/4

• Like 2

So since we're actually just posting shit that's not 4 on the floor...

Also, a lot of Venetian Snares, obviously, even though he may not produce "techno".

• Like 2

ilian tape been putting out “breakbeat techno” for ages. anything earlier on there would fit the bill. and answer code request on ostgut. 

and yeah - cool thread. look forward to all the reccos. 

Edited by species8472
  • Like 1

I am clueless about time signatures, but when it comes techno aesthetic with funky/irregular beats, these came to mind:

Some of NHK'Koyxeи:

Some of SHXCXCHCXSH:

Some of Yuki Matsumura:

I picked a representative from each artist. Hopefully at least one of them qualifies... ?

• Like 4

He also posted the list of tracks in the comments:

Robert Fripp - Preface | Talismann - Anchoryst | Simo Cell - Whispers | Avernian - Ruka | Makaton - Neglect (Inigo Kennedy remix) | Yogg - Vanier | Ruskin & DVS1 - Page 2 | Mafou - Vodou | Avernian - Lying Flat | Sully - 5ives | Surgeon - Klonk pt1 | Grovskopa - Sex And Violins (Surgeon remix) | James Ruskin - Hang Up | Ritzi Lee - Tunnel Effect | Avernian & Strick - Hairline Fracture | Julien Bracht - Streets feat. Enyang Ha (DJ Stingray 313 Remix) | Blawan - Rain | Avernian - Haedron | Simo Cell - Yes.DJ | DJ Overdose - Turns Out Eddy Has No Friends | D-Leria - Tribalism | Stef Mendesidis - stalker | Fran Hartnett - Wake [last minute edit!] | Avernian - Raw Hands | Dustmite - Rippling | Coil - The Snow (Jack Dangers mix) | Sully - Werk

I think my introduction to and fandom of more rhythmically adventurous techno started with Oliver Ho in the late 90s; you might recall that I started DJing in the early 90s, so that happened relatively late, because earlier on I was mostly devoted to IDM. The first track that made me perk my ears was this:

Oliver Ho became one of my favourite techno artists straight away, and his Meta and Light And Dark labels buy-on-sight. Researching Ho and Meta I picked up certain labels that became the stable of my techno sets:  Blueprint/Coda (run by James Ruskin and Richard Polson), Surface/Inceptive (Nick Dunton and Richard Polson), Dynamic Tension/Counterbalance (Anthony Child/Surgeon), Stimulus (Paul Mac), ARC/ARC(ANE) (Max Duley), Rodz-Konez (Steve Bailey/Makaton), Theory/Hardgroove/Native/Symbolism (Ben Sims) - and also some smaller ones like Rogue Beat, Figment (Andrew McLaughlan and Dan March) and one of my biggest favourites, Rob Alcock's Continual - and of course Downwards (Carl O'Connor/Regis and Peter Sutton/Female).

This track by Dunton & Polson is rhytmically straigth, but I played it a lot because the distorted loop going off-sync.

This Nick Wilson track on Inceptive is also relatively straight, but it's a prime example of the sound I was after.

The above labels started to expand their repertoire of artists, and I was in quick succession introduced to the early 2000's Spanish techno scene: Warm Up! (Oscar Mulero), Mental Disorder (Reeko), Tsunami (Christian Wünsch), Nheoma (Exium), Emergence (Archae & Grovskopa - which is actually Swedish, but they were very active in Spain at the time), and more.

Through the previously mentioned labels I was already following I was introduced to the Easter European techno scene, artists like Rumenige, Loktibrada, DJ Boss, Supagrupa, and cross-over labels like RSB.

Like I did, you can just branch off from collaborations and label releases from artists featured therein, otherwise I would be listing artists and labels until the impending heat death of the Universe.

As a late bonus I'll have to mention the German labels Element Com./Clip/Exalt/Seico Corp, whose catalogue is less known but full of tracks that'll still blow your mind if you're into industrial techno.

That's where I come from in regards to the sound sought after in this thread, for more modern examples I suggest you check out my techno mixes on SoundCloud, most of them have track listings - and for even more recent takes, my posts on the Industrial techno thread.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, kloffy said:

At the risk of drifting into glitch/IDM territory, I feel like Qebrus also deserves to be in this thread:

I love this track from Qebrus: 

Question - are there any other tracks that have a similar feel to "Vlcnmtr"? I really want more tracks that at least resemble it.

43 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

This is a good point.  IDM Thread would be too simple a title for an IDM thraed tho imo.

I was more looking for a techno vibe..  "IDM" to me is more breaks, glitch, acid, ambient and various tempo etc etc.. 

Its like comparing EOD or Rolando Simmons with Monolake and Carl Cox.. To me it is a different kind of genre really but to other people it is maybe all IDM lol.

Huge thanks for all the amazing tracks! 

42 minutes ago, Soloman Tump said:

All of these EPs are SICK AS FUCK

I've got them all on vinyl as well, all brilliant; as far as I know they're mostly, if not all, ASC. His music has a lot of rhythmic variance.

Edited by dcom
  • Like 1