IGNORED

Musik aus Strom back catalog (on Bandcamp)

atypic

In 1996, pioneering German Electronica / IDM / “Glitch-hop” duo Funkstörung launched Musik Aus Strom™ — a boutique record label for initial white label experiments by themselves and their close friends.

As Funkstörung’s profile escalated quickly thanks to their signature cutting-edge production style and critically acclaimed remix projects for the likes of Björk, Wu-Tang Clan, Jean-Michel Jarre, Lamb, Plaid, A Guy Called Gerald (and many more), the Musik Aus Strom™ label steadily evolved from 1997 onwards to release an extraordinary array of EPs, singles, albums, compilations and split-label collaborations which still sound like nothing else since, and have gone on to be much cited influences for artists such as Arca, Modeselektor and Metronomy.

Musik Aus Strom™ originally closed their doors in 2010, just missing out on the digital music era boom by a few years. Meaning much of the original catalogue has only ever been available on rare, collectable white label vinyl, original, long deleted CD releases or as low-quality rips. However, producer & sound-designer Michael Fakesch (one-half of Funkstörung and original Musik Aus Strom™ founder) felt it was time to rectify this, further inspired by a wave of new projects coming to fruition either by himself or by other new artists on his radar.

And so, on Friday January 7 2022, the label relaunches with their official digital store exclusively on Bandcamp, and will re-issue the complete MAS™ catalogue digitally for the very first time.

Included are all of the classic Funkstörung albums and remix compilations (originally split-released with !K7 Records), Their game-changing remix single for Björk’s iconic “All is Full of Love” (originally split-released with FatCat Records) and the 20th anniversary edition of Michael Fakesch’s debut solo album, Marion (re-issued as a deluxe remastered edition in 2019 via UK label, Bit-Phalanx Music, featuring the first ever remix by Boards Of Canada, originally commissioned in 1997.)

The initial drop will feature 28 classic titles in total exclusive to the MAS™ Bandcamp, with further rare split-label releases from the 90s due to be added to the archive in the coming months. (Wider digital / streaming platform releases of all titles will follow later this Spring.)

In addition to the 28 initial titles, Musik Aus Strom™ will take a bold new step into a new era for 2022 with the debut release of from brand new artist, 20 year old German producer Noayama, and his EP Yama Calling (initially also dropping exclusively on the MAS™ Bandcamp on Friday January 7, but following on all usual download / streaming platforms on Frida January 14), adding a refreshing Gen-Z take on the classic MAS™ production sound, through vibrant, feel-good reflections on classic 70s soul and funk, and contemporary J-Pop.

Igloo says things.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cloud capture said:

some classics in my book.  Wonder why no demon eps?

They're already in the expanded version of the solo album

• Like 1

oh right on I see now, that 20th anniversary edition looks enticing.  Funny bit I'm remembering about all the early eps, I thought a lot of them were supposed to be 33rpm.  And could never get used to them at normal speed.

• Like 1

The While EP has actually held up pretty well, first time hearing it in a few years but it certainly beats a lot of the Chiastic-alikes from around the same time.  Crunch LP still sounds great, really enjoyed listening to the flacs on some decent headphones.

Any other releases in there worth picking up? Already got Disctruction, MAS confusion, Marion & the Funkstorung remix LPs.

1 hour ago, danshoebridge said:

The While EP has actually held up pretty well, first time hearing it in a few years but it certainly beats a lot of the Chiastic-alikes from around the same time.  Crunch LP still sounds great, really enjoyed listening to the flacs on some decent headphones.

Any other releases in there worth picking up? Already got Disctruction, MAS confusion, Marion & the Funkstorung remix LPs.

Chris de Luca Unknown EP, Breakart EP has a couple good tracks. Obviously, the Bjork mit Funkstorung single is a must.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

Return to the Acid Planet is excellent.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ARPA said:

Happy to finally see the Crunch album among these other classic gems on Bandcamp.
Speaking of Crunch, I found this https://mikewallis.bandcamp.com/ which might be of interest to some of you.

Nice, picked up a few bits from there - good to hear Mike's still knocking stuff out.  Had many a good time at the Colony records nights he used to run in Shepherd's Bush.

• Like 1

This thread has been so awesome to read.

I'm turbo-fortunate enough to have been helping Michael with the MAS™ relaunch (the 15 year old 90s Funkstörung fan-boi in me is still a bit gobsmacked too, to be honest). He's been totally bowled over by the love and everyone reconnecting with the catalogue and sends his biggest danke to everyone so far.

He's digging through more old DATs as we speak for hopefully the next batch of split-label re-issues and more classics... and he just sent me previews for the next 6 (!) all-new releases, and (no spoilers, but) holy crap...  this stuff is insane! ?

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, BitPhalanx said:

I'm turbo-fortunate enough to have been helping Michael with the MAS™ relaunch (the 15 year old 90s Funkstörung fan-boi in me is still a bit gobsmacked too, to be honest). He's been totally bowled over by the love and everyone reconnecting with the catalogue and sends his biggest danke to everyone so far.

He's digging through more old DATs as we speak for hopefully the next batch of split-label re-issues and more classics... and he just sent me previews for the next 6 (!) all-new releases, and (no spoilers, but) holy crap...  this stuff is insane! ?

Huge hype. I’m also reliving my 15 year old glory days with these releases as well lol.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, BitPhalanx said:

That's awesome.  It's been great for me to re-live too.  Particularly enjoying Breakart, Unknown, and Aemic.

I remember emailing Fakesch probably in 1997-98 and he was very patient with me as a college student pestering him with questions.  I remember him saying ~"wow you email reply so quickly" and I was like "yeah I have basically limitless time to email" he said "I don't."  haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Great thread. I’m unfamiliar with the label and there are some excellent recommendations on here for newcomers like me - thanks all for this. 

Looking forward to exploring the back catalogue over the next few months. 

The Crunch album is gold.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

Some news from MAS™ that may stir some excitement...

Überraschung! (Surprise!) 

Today we are releasing the first of our next wave of archive Musik Aus Strom™ titles and classic MAS™/Split label releases. The first being a rare, early four-track EP from Funkstörung called 'Funkentstört'. 

Originally released on 12" in 1997 as the first of two split-label EP releases with the classic German Electronica label, Compost Records (Moodymann, Carl Craig, Laurent Garnier, Masters At Work, Âme, Dixon, Henrik Schwarz, Kruder & Dorfmeister), 'Funkenstört' has never received an official digital release until now, and has been carefully remastered by Michael Fakesch himself for 2022.  

In addition, 'Funkentstört' is also notable as one of the earliest design collaborations between Funkstörung and The Designers Republic™.

Funkstörung - 'Funkentstört' EP is available now:
https://musikausstrom.bandcamp.com/album/funkentst-rt

From here on, we will be releasing one additional title from the MAS™ archive every Friday between now and summer. From March onwards, this will also include one entirely brand new title every month. 

Watch this space and keep your eyes out for notifications from us.  It is going to be a busy 2022!

Dankeschön!

/MAS™

• Like 4