Hey all, I'm considering upgrading to Windows 11 on my dusty (but quite recent) music-making laptop, anyone in here who have taken the plunge? Run into any compability issues or latency nonsense? Please advise.

Edited by Silent Member

i’ve heard of exactly zero good reasons to upgrade, and it’s janky on a lot of machines. it’s just Windows 10 with a new start menu and icons (and some amount of bugs) especially if you’re up to date on your current version of W10. wait a year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

s'fine if WIndows allows your machine to update, not come across any compatibility issues. You'll not really notice any difference tween this and Win 10 (for better or for worse) so probably fine to stick with your existing OS at the moment if you've no real need yet to update

• Thanks 1

I have Windows 11 on one of my computers. It feels like it's just Windows 10 with a slightly updated UI theme that imitates MacOS with its centered dock and rounded window corners. I guess over time Windows 10 and Windows 11 will diverge more but now they're almost the same thing

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

still running win 7

was seriously considering switching to win 10 once i do a hardware upgrade

steam will stop running in w7 in 248 days

win 11 sucks big time

i think win 12 will be even worse with the constant online/login/cloud shit

tried windows 11 on my beefy shadow cloud pc so there is no risk as I just use it for gaming. I feels very macOS like now and is not really worth the update until you like your windows pc to look like a stylish macOS desktop. 

You can not move the taskbar to top or side anymore and everything feels a bit slower. Also it looks like they took some of the customization away like you can not make the terminal window transparent anymore etc. 

Its interesting if you want to learn how to use it but its not really better. I like the way the windows can be dynamically aligned in windows 11. 

Edited by o00o

Just thinking - I can't quite remember (as I've had it since the early preview versions in Win10 (that this install of Win11 was upgraded from)) if Win11 ships with Windows Terminal by default or not. So perhaps the Windows Console Host console/terminal doesn't have transparancy ? 

image.png

13 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Win2k Pro ftw

I've been saying this for years and the only people who agree with me are an IDM dad techno forum ❤️

Edited by chemick
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1