16 minutes ago, chemick said:

I've been saying this for years and the only people who agree with me are an IDM dad techno forum ❤️

i've been saying it for years too. it was super solid. never crashed and was dead simple to use and fuck with. i kinda miss that dell inspiron w/the P3 800mhz cpu. 

the windows machine i bought to replace sucks. dumbest purchase. the CPU doesn't throttle up to full power fast enough so everything breaks up when doing audio stuff. so i found an app for clocking but to use all the power basically have to have it on full power all the time. so dumb. has an athlon chip. win XP sp2 or whatever. haven't turned it on in forever. can't get the wifi to work. been enjoying the apple laptops/desktops since. but wouldn't mind a lenovo thinkpad. 

• Like 1

I've actually still have a burned disc with Windows 97 on it that I got back in the late 90s.  But it was just one of about 200 things on a Malaysian warez CD ("Winboss Webmaster's Toolkit") that the computer lab tech/IT guy at my school brought back when he went on vacation over there in 98 or 99, and of course they stuck more programs on there than the actual capacity of th disk so the CAB file for Windows 97 only has the first 20 megs or so and it won't install, even if i swap in a regulat Windows 95 CAB., so I'll never know if it's the same windows 97 that finally made it to the internet a few years ago, or a different one. They were all either Windows 95 or early Windows 98 betas with some graphics changed as far as I know.

Edited by TubularCorporation

• 1 month later...

Late to this thread, but having not used Windows 11 at all and being a Mac person, I do hear mostly bad things about Windows 11. For a music computer where you want to focus on making music and not spending your time fixing some weird crap, then my suggestion is to stay on Windows 10. Official end of Windows 10 support will be October 14th, 2025, there is plenty of time https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/lifecycle/products/windows-10-home-and-pro

Let early adopters and people who do not value their time do their thing and don't upgrade just for the sake of upgrading, IMO.

• 2 months later...

I took the plunge last week, upgraded all my eligible PCs to W11

On my low-power NUC-style PC which I use for day-to-day general stuff, the general performance massively improved.  This little 1.1GHz QC Celeron LOVES Windows 11..

On my 12-core Ryzen studio PC, the performance didn't change that much if at all, but it's certainly not worse

Zero issues with faulty apps, crashes, drivers, anything

I miss having old-style non-grouped app tabs on the task bar, but that's the only thing

Interesting.  I'm not going to upgrade my music desktop any time soon but maybe I'll try it on the old Dell I use for OBS, it could use all the help it can get.

When I finally updated the music system from windows 7 to windows 10 back in 2021 I didn't notice any performance change but USB-MIDI timing got a lot better. Almost usable!

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Summon Dot E X E said:

yeah, latency kills. i have an external audio interface which helps a lot

The USB-MIDI jitter under Windows 10 was up around 7ms for me (multiple computers, multiple interfaces, always the same result).  XP was pretty decent, 10 is at least as good as XP, around 2ms total for me IIRC. Still loose but usually OK for sending transport messages and stuff.

I finally got a mioXL earlier this year, though, and switching to RTP-MIDI brought the jitter down to around .2ms, though, which is comparable to good hardware clocks and really about the best you can expect from MIDI.  So that's the way to go if you use hardware but absolutely must sync to or sequence in a DAW and need tight timing. At least until MIDI 2.0 is actually a viable option, since I'm pretty sure it includes event timestamps that would make all of the issues with USB irrelevant.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1