IGNORED

Bogdan Raczynski - ADDLE [ziq433]

Key

hmm...... not totally convinced by post-alright! boggy. I love that he's come back, and the first three albums on rephlex I hold in extremely high esteem, but he's a different guy and the world he's re-entering is really different than it was in 1999. or even 2007. I will of course order this and listen to it but the preview tracks don't make me too excited.

‘ADDLE’ is closest in spirit to 2001’s tender ‘myloveilove’

There are still 6 tracks to prove me wrong, but I don't get this sense from the two singles. I do like the direction he's going though.

He's never been one to pigeonhole himself, the drill n bass of the first few albums, then the complete 180° turn into lo fi folk music then back.

The new material (inc. Bananas ep) seems harder to pin down, like he's still trying to settle on a new voice. Better sound design and still a bit of that childlike weirdness in there, but a little blander.

But then I remember feeling slightly disappointed at the time with 'Alright!' After waiting 5 years thinking he was going to be producing some epic a la Drukqs or Ultravisitor, and finding it a little too dumb for my tastes with its constant 4/4 kick, super loud monophonic leads. Think I must have been up my own arse cause it's clearly a great record.. maybe this new stuff is a grower too.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Thought I'd play this before I have to turn into a dinosaur and chase kids around the back garden for 4 hours ?  ?

Edited by beerwolf