IGNORED

Brainwaltzera - ITSAME (Film)

dcom

• 2 weeks later...

bwe is bwe. good music doesn't always need a face or a name behind the art. this music doesn't sound like anyone but bwe. all bwe sounds like bwe and it all sounds great to me. itsame is pretty good, i personally enjoy his/hers/their eps most of all, especially bunker and the kids are ai.  what i don't understand is when people call them ripoff or sound-alike artists, yeah, some artists definatly chase sounds from influences, i really think bwe fell into their own sound. sure influences seem worn proudly but it really is music i consider unique to them and them alone. question? whats with the "ironic" comments? not being a smartass, just don't get the joke.

On 3/30/2022 at 12:46 PM, six said:

Oh man, where the hell do I find the track at 8:45?

Apparently "Principles of Geometry - Loom Letter" but I can't find any other mention of it. Aping BOC for sure but it does it well.

After hearing this set, it quickly became one of my all-time favorite mixes. Always raises my spirits. When Tsim comes on, I always smile. 

On 4/2/2022 at 11:54 AM, kuniklo said:

On first listen I liked this but not as much as Poly-Ana. I'll still pick up a copy since they/he/she carry the torch for a style of music that used to mean a lot to me.

I really like Itsame but I do agree with you. Poly-Ana sounds better to me. The Kids Are AI, Bunker and Epi-Log my favorite releases for sure though.

Talking about "mystery artists", whatever happened to Guavid? The EP he put out on Analogical Force is one of, if not my favorite releases on that label. Does he release under any other names? Does he have more music beyond the Wathorn Wieib EP? I'd love to know.

• Like 1

imo, ITSAME is beautiful and it is a striking accomplishment. there's not really a moment in it that i don't love. exudes magic. definitely my favorite bwe release and i would say it is just generally a good music album. 

Edited by trying to be less rude

On 4/24/2022 at 7:08 PM, nature said:

Talking about "mystery artists", whatever happened to Guavid? The EP he put out on Analogical Force is one of, if not my favorite releases on that label. Does he release under any other names? Does he have more music beyond the Wathorn Wieib EP? I'd love to know.

Head over to the RTR thread…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The elusive mind of Brainwaltzera gives us a glimpse behind the guise in this vulnerable journal of notions. Deeply moving in parts, from the offset there is a sense of sincerity that is swept up in this emotional journey. A retrospective within the coming of age tale.

Striding through the indistinguishable gap of top-shelf early 90’s to present day Braindance and IDM, ITSAME showcases 17-tracks of heartening anthems that embraces delicate carrying points, whilst at the same time is executed with a confidence that comes from a clear maturity that perhaps the genre (especially the first) is not particularly famed for, but certainly exists.

As I write this review, I am on the train returning from a visit to my hometown in the Cornish county of South-West, England—so maybe on this particular listen through I am feeling exceptionally nostalgic. Having grown up with RDJ on my doorstep, this is indeed striking a welcoming nerve buried within my psyche.

Throughout ITSAME, listeners are taken on this very composed consultation that may indeed tap into their own introspection. What may typically invite a form of bubbling anxieties when reflecting on times both prior and present, we see these left behind as we roll through celebrated entries.

I rarely drop the following, but I am going to go with it, this one is seminal. All too often we wait for the heavyweights from the likes of Warp to deliver the next ‘big‘ release, when really Brainwaltzera has come in to present us with a more than outstanding album that would certainly stand alongside the greats.

From the Girl/Boy-esque vibes on opener ITSAME (“group hugg,”) to the Lunatic Harness melodic nods in “morning narcomnastics,” on to summer-soaked The Campfire Headphase interludes gathering rest bites during, “PROVE UR NOT A ROBOT [SKIP],” and “F1 Halo,” and brushing it all off with the Hard Normal Daddy snare-rushed breaks in, “ad interim,”—it can be seen as a form of homage, but ultimately it’s the vocabulary of someone that has lived through these times. What is extended in making it their own is the previously mentioned maturity. Brainwaltzera is not a newcomer here. Flexing in an above average track amount for a release in these realms is a strength in dialectic and understanding of a genre. Each track holds its own, which is certainly something to revel in with a count as high as the 17 on ITSAME.

This one is for keeps for both newcomers and veterans to braindance and IDM alike!

It has been a busy promotional run for Brainwaltzera, for fans that may of missed out should check back on their featured mixes and curated playlists hosted by the likes of Bleep / BBC 6music / Lapsus Radio.

Igloo says things.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/2/2022 at 11:56 AM, species8472 said:

not a die hard fan. don’t care about all the drama he entices. but was expecting a bit more from this. 

indeed

lackluster for me

Edit: this hits. not perfect but enjoyable and inventive

Edited by watmmisdead