IGNORED

harmony

OCD kicking in. i reread this:

On 5/20/2022 at 7:35 PM, brian trageskin said:

the concept i mentioned is interesting though, stacking thirds up or down a chord, regardless of its function.

and realized i've made a careless mistake. that's not what i meant. i meant the concept of removing the bottom note of a major or minor chord and playing the 3rd above the top note, and so on and so forth. i guess i made this mistake because as i mentioned earlier itt, if you keep adding 3rds in the opposite direction (below your chord), you'll get a new chord each time. but you won't get a new chord if you keep adding 3rds on top of your chord, you'll just get an extended chord. duh. 

Edited by brian trageskin

last post: 

the concept i was referring to is the act of moving up or down the circle of 3rds. yes, there is such a thing and i kinda feel stupid for not knowing about it until a few minutes ago. it is formed by alternating major and minor 3rds (i'm just quoting an article here). 

wpzIsGM.jpg

• Burger 1

i checked out the tonnetz for the 1st time and you can clearly see the cycle of 3rds on it. you just have to move through the grid like this (or in the opposite direction):

sMIou1U.png

minor triads are the triangles pointing downwards, major are the ones pointing upwards. it's just a different way to visualize it. yes, i am bored to death.

• 1 month later...

Well harmony is pretty simple. You just need to learn scales, intervals, chords, and inversions. Anyone with a midi keyboard can learn that in about 1 hour.

it’s funny to me how people start talking about jazz when harmony is brought up, like it’s the ultimate realm. But the truth is it actually just sounds bad. 

On 5/27/2022 at 8:54 AM, brian trageskin said:

i checked out the tonnetz for the 1st time and you can clearly see the cycle of 3rds on it. you just have to move through the grid like this (or in the opposite direction):

sMIou1U.png

minor triads are the triangles pointing downwards, major are the ones pointing upwards. it's just a different way to visualize it. yes, i am bored to death.

That looks like my ableton push 1

Seriously though that’s a cool visualization. Two minor thirds make a diminishes fifth or augmented fourth, two major thirds make an augmented fifth or minor sixth. It’s only when you are a minor third and major third that you get a perfect fifth.

Edited by sheatheman
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, sheatheman said:

it’s funny to me how people start talking about jazz when harmony is brought up, like it’s the ultimate realm. But the truth is it actually just sounds bad. 

lol

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

by the way I'm stupid, the cycle of thirds is just the "scale" that jacob collier talked about on different occasions. so there's the lydian version, if you start in major, and the dorian version if you start in minor - super ultra hyper mega meta dorian, basically. ok i'm done talking about thirds.

• Like 1