IGNORED

Any tips for making music with a full time job?

Berk

For me it's really difficult to keep up the music making, while at the same time I have to juggle my full time job. The deadlines, the cerebral work, takes up a lot of mind space and kills all creativity. I think i need a level of boredom and to feel relaxed, which i often don't anymore. Work work work.

Any tips how to sort of achieve that flow again? Thx

• Like 2

Just don't okey.. 

There are thousands of people jamming and recording music atm with their $3000 worthy electronic equipments. 
People releases hundreds of albums everyday that they are begging people to buy all the time specially on Bandcamp and Spotify. 

People are desperate for being seen and also want money at the same time. Thats why I go all in with Soulseek bro! 
Music is for fun and not something you making money of. 

If you want to have more time: Invest more time to open successful business!
After that you can work less and have more time to create music and do whatever you love!

Sorry if I feel too harsh but the reality is nothing to fuck with my friend.

I pay 0% taxes of my income and Im sitting mostly on the beach or by the pool all the time everyday.
But to get here I have also being ruthless when it comes to making money. I take what I want. 

Very hot today btw! Peace ?

20220207_152526.jpg

• Like 2
  • Burger 2

That's a tough one.  I was struggling for a few months with the same dilemma after moving into a place with a much higher rent, requiring me to work more than twice as much.  So I started bringing my laptop with me, and working on music during downtime + a lot of music making in bed.  Helps that i have completely flexible hours.  If I didn't have that, I guess I'd set aside specific times each day where I had to make music.  Do it in place of watching a movie, or whatever.  Easier said than done, of course.

• Like 1

I’m occupied with my job (practically three separate jobs that relate one to another) all day, every day so I can’t tell you much but somehow i find time for music bc i love it that much; id be happy to replace my job for music production, even tho i love what i do but it’s extremely time and energy consuming.
And it’s easy for Eno to say “don’t get a job” bc he lives off music (his whole life) and lives well; I don’t think he lives off music bc he didn’t invest his time in pursuing other occupations.

Edited by xox
  • Like 3

14 minutes ago, cern said:

Just don't okey.. 

There are thousands of people jamming and recording music atm with their $3000 worthy electronic equipments. 
People releases hundreds of albums everyday that they are begging people to buy all the time specially on Bandcamp and Spotify. 

People are desperate for being seen and also want money at the same time. Thats why I go all in with Soulseek bro! 
Music is for fun and not something you making money of. 

If you want to have more time: Invest more time to open successful business!
After that you can work less and have more time to create music and do whatever you love!

Sorry if I feel too harsh but the reality is nothing to fuck with my friend.

I pay 0% taxes of my income and Im sitting mostly on the beach or by the pool all the time everyday.
But to get here I have also being ruthless when it comes to making money. I take what I want. 

Very hot today btw! Peace ?

20220207_152526.jpg

barf

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Berk said:

For me it's really difficult to keep up the music making, while at the same time I have to juggle my full time job. The deadlines, the cerebral work, takes up a lot of mind space and kills all creativity. I think i need a level of boredom and to feel relaxed, which i often don't anymore. Work work work.

If you ever find the solution to this, please let me know.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies so far peeps!

I get the "if you really love (making) music, then you can always make time" point of view. But yeah like you guys also already pointed out, that's easier said than done.

I have the same (i think lack of motivation/time?) problem with reading btw. When i was jobless, i spent hours and hours reading nice literature.

Working life has turned me into this basic bitch a little bit which I kinda hate lol. Even though my job is ok.

Edited by Berk
  • Like 2

I really hope one day you will understand the importance of how useful your time can be for making what you like and stop the working slavery. 

people here are always gonna be bitching and complaining of what Im saying but you need to step up a little. 
Kids making Tri Repetae kind of music with their pocket synthesizers. It's wild out there!

Get more money, work less and then do what u like!

• Burger 2

lol, get more money work less. I'm sorry but this is not easy for most people.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Berk said:

I feel the total opposite. Like, I need the stress to unlock something later

• Like 3

Do live shows and slaughter an animal live on stage and drink it’s blood. Or rape a goat while a tape loop recites the Lord’s Prayer backwards. Something like that will bring the money in. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Big Brain 1

Optimize and prioritize your setup so that you're making music 30 second after you feel the urge. 

Commit to a deadline - a show or a release. 

Sign up to Weekly Beats or something that forces you to work regularly on the music. Even if it ends up being just two half assed hours every Sunday, it's good practice and puts you in a zone of continuous music making. 

Edited by psn
  • Like 8

36 minutes ago, Silent Member said:

lol, get more money work less. I'm sorry but this is not easy for most people.

it's easy: don't pay taxes and download music off of slsk instead of paying artists

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

this has plagued me in my past (but still very limited) efforts to make music but TBH I would say it's still down to my own lack of focus and prioritizing

treat this like a passionate hobby and that would include prioritizing your own goals and efforts. while I didn't make music I have had periods of completing other personal projects despite a crazy work schedule. 

what kind of music do you want to make? do you want to jam or do you want to release something? would you rather crank out more impromptu tunes or fine tune a composition over days, weeks, months? 

I remember Kode9 talking about how he can work on tracks for over year off / on yet knows producers who will crank out a song in a manner of an hour and yet neither is inherently better or worse as an end result. I would def look into your own style and preferences and not get too hung up on the potential pressure / stress to make music in your free time, that can just compound things and make you more anxious and discouraged

• Like 1

dedicate time every day. i get up about 3 hours early and end up putting in a bout 2 hours of music time in the mornings. i end up feeling burnt out by EOD but that’s ok! it’s been way better for me than when i tried to stay up late because my energy was all zapped and i couldn’t focus.

but yeah you could also try communal living somewhere cheap and try to avoid a job or setup some passive income with a web scam of some kind

• Like 3

I’m trying to find a way to create time for music-making while dadding for a 1 year old… and I currently have no job. I know that the answer is probably “make time in the evening after the baby goes to bed”, but by then I’m so exhausted that all I have left in me is about 30 minutes of zombie killing on my phone and then lights out. 

• Like 4

live somewhere cheap. might be miserable about the town you live in but enjoy the time you have to make music. 

i've always chipped away at tracks when i worked full time.

also found ways to make simple set ups that were productive. so i could jam and create a lot of stuff and then chip away at it and work on it until it was done. many times i had no social life. other times i was more balanced. then at some point i found an apartment and had flatmate and he was a slob and i didn't really like living in the place and sharing space but it was cheap and i was able to work part time and make more tunes. 

it gets more difficult as you get older because everything does unless you fall into a pile of money somehow. it helps to have a partner to share rent with and living expenses or even better a music collaborator. 

you'll figure it out. everyone finds their balance w/it eventually. just try to enjoy it and make the most of whatever time you have,. 

• Like 3

TBH the periods of my life when I did audio work professionally made listening to anything feel like work, sucked all the joy out of making or listening to music, and to this day I still don't listen to nearly as much music nor take as much pleasure from it as I did before.  It was a mistake.

Anyway, the most practical solution is probably run a crypto scam, take about $500k of your shit coin rug pull money and put it into low risk real investments that will consistently return enough for you to live a modest but comfortable, lower-middle class life in whatever subtropical expat tax haven you want. But you'll still need to raise at least $30-$40k startup funds to pay Tik Tok influencers to pump it.

Edited by TubularCorporation
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Farnsworth 2
  • Big Brain 1

38 minutes ago, TubularCorporation said:

Anyway, the most practical solution is probably run a crypto scam, take about $500k of your shit coin rug pull money and put it into low risk real investments that will consistently return enough for you to live a modest but comfortable, lower-middle class life in whatever subtropical expat tax haven you want. But you'll still need to raise at least $30-$40k startup funds to pay Tik Tok influencers to pump it.

yes, go on... 

• Like 2

The thing is, even if I could do crypto scams without dying from barfing too much, I still wouldn't be able to do it because if I could get together the money to pay off the pumpers I would jsut spend it on sweet gear instead.

Maybe buy my own record lathe or something.

But in theory, crypto scams seem to be the easieest way to quit your job and become a professional musician these days.

Edited by TubularCorporation