IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Secretly, I hope we'd have a poster from Russia with an interesting perspective though. Although it would be better for such a person to remain silent, I'm sure.

I thought that too. I remember a guy from St. Petersberg was on here for awhile, he left though. not sure I've seen too many other Russians on this site. back in the old days there used to be a member map, where you could drop a pin where you were from, IIRC. that vanished after one of the board updates.  

• Like 1

At 8:21 CET Ukraine lost all air superiority. Russian ground troops are 8km from Kyiv. Looks like a long night. 

Resistance is fierce, among the rampant disinfo in twitterverse there are credible photos documenting blown up vehicles/people, troops captured on both sides, including a whole Russian recon platoon. 

https://m.bild.de/video/clip/video/ukrainerin-in-dresden-fleht-helft-uns-sonst-fallen-vielleicht-auch-hier-bomben-79268172,auto=true.bildMobile.html

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, cern said:

No not a small comment on a small forum of what to expect.. 
That is no Elitism in the sentence which music artists including in their big bible messages on different platforms. 

impressive mastery of the english language, you should team up with xox

Spoiler

:trollface:

• Haha 2

re: people worth following

I started following this guy on Twitter when he resigned - he was the State Department spokesperson under Obama but had to resign after voicing support for Chelsea Manning. Seems to know what he's on about.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, zazen said:

re: people worth following

I started following this guy on Twitter when he resigned - he was the State Department spokesperson under Obama but had to resign after voicing support for Chelsea Manning. Seems to know what he's on about.

that's what everyone has been saying for a while. putin will put in a puppet. keep ukraine weak adn demilitarized.. but the resistance will become an insurgency. gonna be pretty weird. 

maybe we'll hear all about it in sean penn's documentary. 

7 minutes ago, Hail Sagan said:

War in the social media era is going to get ugly

It's going to be unprecedented. We've seen it with the 2014 conflict and with Syria in the last decade but it accelerated propaganda, trolling, memes and all that will be wrapped up with legit cyberwarfare and psych-ops. This is going to be tenfold the madness and absurdity that was the march to the 2003 Iraq invasion. I think a lot of individuals who have had a perception of war either through the asymmetrical global war on terror and arguably easier to contextualize proxy wars in places like Libya and Syria are the previous Russian acts in 2008 and 2014 are really, really going have a reality check of what a full-fledged conventional ground war between equally armed neighboring countries looks like. Iran-Iraq war in 1980s was probably the closest equivalent since WW2 but that also took place in fairly remote entrenched areas. 

There are zero good outcomes here and while it's a region with a notoriously brutal and bloody history with multiple bad players in the past and their ghosts now (i.e. literal Neo-Nazis among Ukrainian volunteer forces and NazBols on the Russian side) the face majority of fighting will be between Russian soldiers used to posturing, not combat, deployed by the Kremlin into another country versus armed Ukrainians fighting to protect their homes and simply survive. The surreal thing is these aren't fledging nation states or war-torn and exploited regions, there are two major generally stable countries that interact with the world on every level now engaged in war because of geopolitical goals backed by nationalist zeal. If it can happen there it can happen internally anywhere. This is why everyone is rightfully disheartened and horrified by what's going on. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Big Brain 1

4 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Secretly, I hope we'd have a poster from Russia with an interesting perspective though. Although it would be better for such a person to remain silent, I'm sure.

My labmate and coworker is from Belarus, and he has an interesting perspective.  Totally echo the comments about Putin installing a puppet regime; this is already what exists in Belarus.  My friend is afraid to go back and visit his family because he witnessed some of his old friends who had spent time in the US with him arrested and thrown in jail when they returned to Belarus for a visit.  Apparently they were quite anti-Lukashenko on social media while in the US.

• Like 1

regarding people to follow cossackgundi is a good one though he's offline now. he's a UK national who went to fight with the YPG against ISIS in Rojava and became stuck in the Ukraine when his visa was denied. he decided to enlist in the Ukrainian forces and now he's very likely fighting as I type this.

rose warfare and popular front are solid and they are experienced in highlighting actual footage and clearing up stuff that's fake or altered or simply erroneous.

popular front did a good documentary about Ukrainian anarchists who are very anti-Putin but also have to fight off far-right militias and political groups in domestically. During all of this Ukrainian-Russian strain fascists in the Ukraine have gone after Roma citizens and immigrants. It's history repeating itself, during WW2 people had to throw their lot in with the Nazis or Soviets to survive and those not easily aligned with either bore the blunt of atrocities. It was a major flashpoint in the Holocaust. During the Russian Revolution the Black Army, an anarchist / left-libertarian force that had major success agains the Russian empire and it's allies was then crushed as a dangerous rival by the Red Army.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Ah! Size matters.

In my humble opinion, both small and big opinions matter. No matter how irrelevant. ?

Edit:

Cern, for the record, I have absolutely no issue with you making a thread about this. Like Ignatius, I'd argue this is def a subject where people need to be allowed to vent.

seemed like a golden opportunity for a “so what do people think about Russia these days?” header tho

• Big Brain 1

1 hour ago, Nebraska said:

supposedly, the ukrainian .gov was asking hackers in their country for help with DDOS attacks from .ru

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

anonymous is definitely five eyes, if not itd be very surprising that they hadnt commandered the nickname by now