IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

6 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Interesting video I'd like to drop. Full of nuance XD

Goes into the discussion about the extent "NATO expansionism" is cause of current events. He makes the interesting point that underneath the NATO issue, the "real" issue is the democratisation of Ukraine. He's also sharp on maintaining distinctions between causes and justifications.

If you don't know, Mearsheimer has been arguing for many years  - since the last crisis in 2014 basically - that NATO-expansionism is very much the cause of all this mess. 

The PDF I attached earlier from Stephen Walt is a good read to go along with this video. I attach again.IR Theory Guide to Ukraine's War - (Walt - FP 2022).pdf

• Like 1

5 hours ago, chenGOD said:

I mean that seems like the obvious best way to end the situation. 
Once all Russian military influence and troops are gone from those regions you could have another referendum held according to international standards and law.

sit and hope? i dont think that will do anything

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, ilqx hermolia xpli said:

sit and hope? i dont think that will do anything

Who’s sitting and hoping? Certainly not the Ukrainian people. I guess useful idiots who think Putin has done nothing wrong and Ukraine should just accede to his demands might be sitting and hoping. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Satans Little Helper said:

Interesting video I'd like to drop. Full of nuance XD

Goes into the discussion about the extent "NATO expansionism" is cause of current events. He makes the interesting point that underneath the NATO issue, the "real" issue is the democratisation of Ukraine. He's also sharp on maintaining distinctions between causes and justifications.

If you don't know, Mearsheimer has been arguing for many years  - since the last crisis in 2014 basically - that NATO-expansionism is very much the cause of all this mess. 

3 hours ago, chenGOD said:

The PDF I attached earlier from Stephen Walt is a good read to go along with this video. I attach again.IR Theory Guide to Ukraine's War - (Walt - FP 2022).pdf

Another interesting take…

Russia's war in Ukraine has NATO on alert. Here's how we got to this point

Historian Mary Elise Sarotte tells how NATO expanded into Eastern Europe after the fall of the U.S.S.R, and is now obligated to defend nations near Russia's war in Ukraine. Her book is Not One Inch.

https://www.npr.org/2022/03/17/1086986950/russias-war-in-ukraine-has-nato-on-alert-heres-how-we-got-to-this-point

• Like 1

Was he a doofus like you? You were truly embarrassing here. I still cringe thinking about what you posted. No self awareness at all in your little goofball bubble,

ie. "Hey man, thanks.. I'm stoked, dude, that is so awesome, I'm superpumped! Thanks man!" 

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 2

um........

"Recently, I've fallen in love with a 70-year-old old man. OMG he's really handsome! His name is Putin."

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/chinas-latest-manly-heartthrob-russian-082250245.html

Chinese social media users are lauding the Russian leader as the ultimate expression of masculinity. In between comments about how they wish to date or marry him, Chinese internet users are highlighting how he's "macho" as well as an "iron man," using the Chinese term tiehan to describe strong and unyielding men.

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Schlitze said:

Was he a doofus like you? You were truly embarrassing here. I still cringe thinking about what you posted. No self awareness at all in your little goofball bubble,

ie. "Hey man, thanks.. I'm stoked, dude, that is so awesome, I'm superpumped! Thanks man!" 

hey man, thanks 

2 hours ago, ignatius said:

still looks fake but damn, those are getting quite realistic

stuff from scifi

i wonder how deep fake is gonna affect propaganda or crime prosecution in the future

anyone knows if there is effective ways to spot fakes? are they getting harder to spot?

2 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

still looks fake but damn, those are getting quite realistic

stuff from scifi

i wonder how deep fake is gonna affect propaganda or crime prosecution in the future

anyone knows if there is effective ways to spot fakes? are they getting harder to spot?

have read various things about how the same type of software that creates deepfakes is used to spot them. so, i think they're working on how to make algorithms work 'both ways' for lack of a better technical description.. 

but plenty of times i'm sure the damage by a deepfake will be done before a thing can be verified. hopefully it will become standard to authenticate things like this before committing to airing them on official channels etc. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ignatius said:

have read various things about how the same type of software that creates deepfakes is used to spot them. so, i think they're working on how to make algorithms work 'both ways' for lack of a better technical description.. 

but plenty of times i'm sure the damage by a deepfake will be done before a thing can be verified. hopefully it will become standard to authenticate things like this before committing to airing them on official channels etc. 

its an arms race of software technology and computing power, which comes down to dominance of capital.  just because those technologies can exist does not mean good things.  it means they can exist and be used adversarially to make the deepfakes stronger too

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generative_adversarial_network

Edited by ilqx hermolia xpli

https://euroweeklynews.com/2022/03/17/putin-allegedly-orders-arrest-of-top-military-chief/

Vladimir Putin allegedly ordered the arrest of military chief, General Roman Gavrilov, by the FSB security service

As a conflict that Vladimir Putin reportedly believed would last only one week, continues in its 23rd day, the Russian leader has allegedly ordered the FSB security forces to arrests his military chief.

It is being reported today, Thursday, March 17, that General Roman Gavrilov, has been detained. He was the deputy chief of one of the first units to enter Ukraine, the Rosgvardia, spearheading the whole ‘special operation’.

No official reason has been confirmed for Gavrilov’s arrest, but a source in Moscow is rumoured to have said he had possibly been detained on a charge of “leaks of military information that led to the loss of life”.

This would be a very serious offence of course, compared to an earlier source claiming that a quote from Bellincat’s Christo Grozev said he had been detained for “wasteful squandering of fuel”.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Poutine has gone rabid and bites everything in sight.

I wonder if how long he can last as head of state acting recklessly as he is.

well to be fair the russian military did an abysmal job (fortunately), so firing the commander-in-chief is really not surprising (i'm surprised putin didn't do it sooner tbh)

involving FSB into the matter, however, inclines me to believe the c-in-c might had been doing some sabotage-ing

because russian operations operations in ukraine are that bad, it would be surprising if that wasn't the case (can they really be that bad?)

Edited by cichlisuite

5 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

lol there is debates in Canada about changing the name of the dish because of Mad Vlad 

we tried that once:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

putin fired 1000 of his personal staff because he's afraid of being poisoned. he's insulated in a bubble and no one can get near him really.. not w/o some kind of attack that sacrifices the attacker. i'd be surprised if someone takes him out that way or if he's seized in a coup or something.. it'll be interesting and scary to see what happens as this slogs on and how desperate he becomes and if/when people around him see him as too dangerous or deranged to go on leading the country. 

but stalin had everyone scared of him. he had guards shot who came into his quarters after he was faking a heart attack and screaming.. the guards were so scared that when he did finally have a stroke and piss himself making all kinds of noises in his rooms.. the guards stayed outside because they didn't want to get shot. 

putin currently has tight control of russia and all his fucking cops are arresting a lot of people every day. his latest talks about 'doing a cleansing of russia' are nuts. 

• Like 3