IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

17 hours ago, ignatius said:

i hope the russian people put a bib in putin's mouth and bind his hands so he can be kept alive to face the hague.

maybe sleeping gas before entering would be a good strategy

he may be the greatest terrorist of the 21st century

Edited by trying to be less rude
  • Like 1

Just now, trying to be less rude said:

i hope the russian people put a bib in putin's mouth and bind his hands so he can be kept alive to face the hague.

maybe sleeping gas before entering would be a good strategy

apparently all the oligarchs are scared of him and won't take him out or turn on him. also putin has near total control of the population and the propaganda is effective so there's no mass uprising that's going to happen. i'd be surprised if putin is overthrown or pushed aside or something. 

2 minutes ago, ignatius said:

apparently all the oligarchs are scared of him and won't take him out or turn on him. also putin has near total control of the population and the propaganda is effective so there's no mass uprising that's going to happen. i'd be surprised if putin is overthrown or pushed aside or something. 

i'm not counting on anything, and i agree that he may end up remaining in power. but, what would that look like? it would look like north korea or syria. that's the future for putin's russia.

i think he was already very squirrely and that's why he made his awful move to invade ukraine. his main motive may have actually been to attack his own army. over a half dozen generals have been killed, most by snipers, many in that odd traffic backup that occurred outside kyiv, as they walked up and down the convoy. this amount of generals dying this early in a war is unheard of. a number of intel officers have been suddenly imprisoned. other generals and officers were fired. a shake-up and purge is occurring in the military, while sending them to die so that putin can steal ukraine's wealth. the military is the 1 actor that putin has to fear. if you were putin and you were worried about your military, maybe this is what you would do.

we see that his military doesn't really want to fight for him. we know russia's economy was already horrible before he destroyed it. i think he stands on unsolid ground. but yeah dictators know tricks to keep the rats at bay. and yeah, disinfo works, in its own way.

he is fearful. he has been isolating for 2 years. he sits 30 ft apart from his foreign minister in a meeting between the two of them. he fired hundreds of staff for fear of poisoning. 

invading ukraine has already backfired on him horribly. he destroyed himself and his country. why did he do that? this whole thing looks to me like putin's downfall. but maybe it will just be him turning into kim putin. don't believe anyone who tells you they know the future.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

There is something truly disturbing about being able to witness war and war crimes happening in real time and have daily reports in video and photography. It is surreal. Yet also directly all too real.

It's like watching a live stream out of Ed Gein basement.

There was a video i saw, of a man running in the city after the bombing, with corpses and blood everywhere and there was  a woman screaming in horror.

I never heard such a scream ever before in my life and i will never forget it. 

Since then ive been trying to limit the intake of such images because i still want to keep faith in humanity. Shit just shakes me to my core. The extent of the evil human beings are capable of is terrifying.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

Russia shuts down the offices of Amnesty International and Human Rights Watch

https://www.npr.org/live-updates/russia-invades-ukraine-2022-04-09#russia-shuts-down-the-offices-of-amnesty-international-and-human-rights-watch

** Russia has shut down the offices of Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch and several other international organizations. 

The move followed Thursday's vote by the United Nations General Assembly to suspend Russia from the Human Rights Council over "gross and systematic violations and abuses of human rights" in Ukraine.

“Amnesty’s closing down in Russia is only the latest in a long list of organizations that have been punished for defending human rights and speaking the truth to the Russian authorities," 
Agnès Callamard, secretary general of Amnesty International, said in a statement.

Human Rights Watch said it had maintained an office in Russia for 30 years. 

“Human Rights Watch has been working on and in Russia since the Soviet era, and we will continue to do so,” said Kenneth Roth, the group's executive director. “This new iron curtain will not stop our ongoing efforts to defend the rights of all Russians and to protect civilians in Ukraine.”

Amnesty International said the Russian Ministry of Justice had removed the group's Moscow office from the registry of foreign groups allowed to operate in Russia.

The ministry said the move was “in connection with the discovered violations of the Russian legislation," according to Amnesty International. **

• Like 1

Russia to fast-track adoptions of Ukrainian children 'forcibly deported' after their parents were killed by Putin's troops, authorities say

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-to-fast-track-adoption-of-deported-ukraine-orphans-kyiv-officials-2022-4?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

The Ukrainian Ombudswoman for Human Rights has said that the Russian government is crafting legislation to allow Russians to adopt Ukrainian children forcibly taken to Russia by military forces. 

She has also stated that, so far, over 121,000 children have been  "deported" by the Russian government.

• Sad 4

57 minutes ago, ignatius said:

Russia to fast-track adoptions of Ukrainian children 'forcibly deported' after their parents were killed by Putin's troops, authorities say

https://www.businessinsider.com/russia-to-fast-track-adoption-of-deported-ukraine-orphans-kyiv-officials-2022-4?utm_source=feedly&utm_medium=webfeeds

The Ukrainian Ombudswoman for Human Rights has said that the Russian government is crafting legislation to allow Russians to adopt Ukrainian children forcibly taken to Russia by military forces. 

She has also stated that, so far, over 121,000 children have been  "deported" by the Russian government.

that number. wtf

5 hours ago, ignatius said:

This is the worst thing I have read since this entire thing started. Fucking awful.

An entire generation of kids who lost their parents due to Russia, will grow up not knowing about their true heritage, or thinking that their families were the ones who were wrong. 

• Like 1

This is exactly what I was hoping for: https://metro.co.uk/2022/04/09/russians-who-want-to-fight-putin-in-ukraine-given-own-battalion-16436025/
(Ad blocker must be disabled in order to read)

I know I shouldn't get my hopes up too much, but the fact that there is an anti-Putin faction comprised of all Russian citizens is at least some cause for optimism. Redemption arc perhaps.

39 minutes ago, psn said:

These scissor shenanigans would get interesting if Botox and Juvaderm created a similar outrage.

is Juvaderm the lip-filler shit?

most of the russian oil/gas pipelines are under ground.. still.. i'm surprised some radicals somewhere haven't tried disrupting them or blowing them up or something. 

9 hours ago, cichlisuite said:

the black market for luxury items will be booming again soon in russia

the history repeats

the whole thing is so ridiculous i can't even

There's speculation that in the future western goods will be transported to Russia through Kazakhstan making it a transport hub. Which would in part explain why they would want to stay out of sanctions, in regards of not recognizing Donbas etc. Of course everything will be even more expensive, no guarantees, no official repair, geolocked software updates and app stores, etc.

Russia has been cut off from western cloud and license services anyway like Adobe Creative Cloud, MATLAB, etc. I guess it's back to software piracy then where it's possible.

3 hours ago, zkom said:

There's speculation that in the future western goods will be transported to Russia through Kazakhstan making it a transport hub. Which would in part explain why they would want to stay out of sanctions, in regards of not recognizing Donbas etc. Of course everything will be even more expensive, no guarantees, no official repair, geolocked software updates and app stores, etc.

Russia has been cut off from western cloud and license services anyway like Adobe Creative Cloud, MATLAB, etc. I guess it's back to software piracy then where it's possible.

Good opportunities for China as well, I gather.

And btw, Adobe subscription model is only good for milking money out of their monopolistic position. I'm still hoping for the day that some similar industry-standard type of software comes on Linux. Then I say a sweet goodbye to Adobe and Windows for ever. I strongly suspect there is some kind of cartel agreement between nVidia, Adobe and Microsoft.

• Like 1