IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

1 hour ago, cichlisuite said:

i doubt you'd say that if you found yourself on the receiving end of laser-guided democracy

it's just a funny video of bush slipping up :shrug: you need some norm mcdonald in your life

• Like 2

3 hours ago, chronical said:

it's just a funny video of bush slipping up :shrug: you need some norm mcdonald in your life

no worries, i've had plenty of norm's humor in my life

i also laughed at bushisms many times, but i once realized that me being desensitized about this stuff in a way helps the lying crooks in power to go on doing their (war) profiteering agendas. our tolerance, and indifference towards abuse of power is one of the ways the evil keeps going on. we, as a democratic society should be vigilant, and exercise our prerogative. not being indifferent, because every time we do, a new bar is set, and we stray further from our ability to make criminals accountable. by doing that, we let up the space for them to do evil, which we're not going to get it back so easily (if ever). i bet you wouldn't be laughing when your house gets bombed, and you'd be raining hell down on anyone who would laugh at that.

i guess you'd say i'm overreacting, but i guess i'm just fed up of panem et circenses

22 minutes ago, cichlisuite said:

no worries, i've had plenty of norm's humor in my life

i also laughed at bushisms many times, but i once realized that me being desensitized about this stuff in a way helps the lying crooks in power to go on doing their (war) profiteering agendas. our tolerance, and indifference towards abuse of power is one of the ways the evil keeps going on. we, as a democratic society should be vigilant, and exercise our prerogative. not being indifferent, because every time we do, a new bar is set, and we stray further from our ability to make criminals accountable. by doing that, we let up the space for them to do evil, which we're not going to get it back so easily (if ever). i bet you wouldn't be laughing when your house gets bombed, and you'd be raining hell down on anyone who would laugh at that.

i guess you'd say i'm overreacting, but i guess i'm just fed up of panem et circenses

I'm just indifferent to it when it comes to myself. Why would I give the corruption of the world power over my emotions? How is emotional attachment to a foreign issue helping the fight against profiteering agendas? Is that not what they want?

this is rough to watch. 

also, that bush video freudian slip or whatever ya want to call it. it's funny because it's absurd. at some point we have to laugh because everyone knows it was crazy unjustified war and knew so from the start.. knew the colin powel UN speech was bullshit and he was stupid to believe the "intelligence". it's all fucking slapstick except poor people get killed and arms dealers get rich and waves of patriotic chuds cheer on about how "we got sadam" etc. it's all bullshit and a writer couldn't/wouldn't make up such a freudian slip from bush because no one would believe it in a book of fiction but in reality nothing makes sense so of course it happened. 

it's amazing and obviously on his mind or in his mind somewhere close enough to the surface that it slipped through. he's older, partied a lot as a youngster w/coke and booze and many stories exist about his crazy behavior before he got into politics so it's no wonder he's showing signs of those years as he ages. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, chronical said:

I'm just indifferent to it when it comes to myself. Why would I give the corruption of the world power over my emotions? How is emotional attachment to a foreign issue helping the fight against profiteering agendas? Is that not what they want?

on the contrary, you don't need emotions to drive you in this case, only sober rationality, otherwise, it will only turn into an angry mob so they can send robocops and watercannons or something. that's what they want.

Russian State Duma deputy claims Moscow may revise the agreement on the lease of the Saimaa Canal if Finland joins NATO. In 1962, for the first time in its history, the Soviet Union leased its land to a foreign country — Finland received 19.6 km of the Saimaa Canal. This narrow 43 km long artery connects the biggest Saimaa Lake in the country's southeast with the Baltic Sea and links the industrial centers of the Saimaa region with the European market.

https://www.helsinkitimes.fi/finland/finland-news/politics/21467-saimaa-canal-as-a-gambit-of-russia.html

• 3 weeks later...
8 hours ago, zkom said:

Finland's and Sweden's NATO applications are stuck now because Erdoğan is blocking them. There's a ton of news articles about this but here's a relatively new one https://yle.fi/news/3-12495782

Erdogan is such a self-serving bastard.

https://interfax-com-ua.translate.goog/news/interview/834181.html?_x_tr_sl=ru&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=de&_x_tr_pto=wapp

I'm happy that burning books is not on the agenda. Yet. So now since officials of Ukraine tend to have ideas for western nations, I really hope that Germany doesn't make the same old mistakes again, just in order to attract the mainstream. But everything is possible.

Edited by WurstPLUS

Pacifism is the wrong response to the war in Ukraine 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine?

For me, John Lennon’s mega-hit Imagine was always a song popular for the wrong reasons. Imagine that “the world will live as one” is the best way to end in hell.

Those who cling to pacifism in the face of the Russian attack on Ukraineremain caught in their own version of “imagine”. Imagine a world in which tensions are no longer resolved through armed conflicts … Europe persisted in this world of “imagine”, ignoring the brutal reality outside its borders. Now it’s the time to awaken.

The dream of a quick Ukrainian victory, the repetition of the initial dream of a quick Russian victory, is over. In what looks more and more as a protracted stalemate, Russia is slowly progressing, and its ultimate goal is clearly stated. There is no longer any need to read between the lines when Putin compareshimself with Peter the Great: “On the face of it, he was at war with Sweden taking something away from it … He was not taking away anything, he was returning … He was returning and reinforcing, that is what he was doing … Clearly, it fell to our lot to return and reinforce as well.”

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 4:56 AM, ignatius said:

Pacifism is the wrong response to the war in Ukraine 

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/jun/21/pacificsm-is-the-wrong-response-to-the-war-in-ukraine?

For me, John Lennon’s mega-hit Imagine was always a song popular for the wrong reasons. Imagine that “the world will live as one” is the best way to end in hell.

Those who cling to pacifism in the face of the Russian attack on Ukraineremain caught in their own version of “imagine”. Imagine a world in which tensions are no longer resolved through armed conflicts … Europe persisted in this world of “imagine”, ignoring the brutal reality outside its borders. Now it’s the time to awaken.

The dream of a quick Ukrainian victory, the repetition of the initial dream of a quick Russian victory, is over. In what looks more and more as a protracted stalemate, Russia is slowly progressing, and its ultimate goal is clearly stated. There is no longer any need to read between the lines when Putin compareshimself with Peter the Great: “On the face of it, he was at war with Sweden taking something away from it … He was not taking away anything, he was returning … He was returning and reinforcing, that is what he was doing … Clearly, it fell to our lot to return and reinforce as well.”

Yeah, Žižek has been surprisingly level headed during the whole war.

Here's another text back from May: We must stop letting Russia define the terms of the Ukraine crisis https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2022/may/23/we-must-stop-letting-russia-define-the-terms-of-the-ukraine-crisis

Yes, the liberal west is hypocritical, applying its high standards very selectively. But hypocrisy means you violate the standards you proclaim, and in this way you open yourself up to inherent criticism – when we criticize the liberal west, we use its own standards. What Russia is offering is a world without hypocrisy – because it is without global ethical standards, practicing just pragmatic “respect” for differences. We have seen clearly what this means when, after the Taliban took over in Afghanistan, they instantly made a deal with China. China accepts the new Afghanistan while the Taliban will ignore what China is doing to Uyghurs – this is, in nuce, the new globalization advocated by Russia. And the only way to defend what is worth saving in our liberal tradition is to ruthlessly insist on its universality. The moment we apply double standards, we are no less “pragmatic” than Russia.

• Like 1

Remember when they said no way Putin would be allowed to occupy or keep Eastern Ukraine? That’s exactly what gonna happen. And the price of oil has risen to keep funding Putin’s campaign, and likely compensate the oligarchs who has their yachts and assets seized or frozen, to get them back in line.

• Sad 1