IGNORED

Russia is now bombing Ukraine

cern

Russia kicked out of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Also Russia loses Champions League final and the Sochi F1 GP https://apnews.com/article/russia-ukraine-soccer-sports-champions-league-paris-249b9dd81765c7cc4dd7a3fc4eb2547b

In Finland a nuclear power plant construction is pretty much cancelled because it would have been delivered by Rosatom (with some parts made in Donetsk, wtf?).

6 minutes ago, zkom said:

Russia kicked out of the Eurovision Song Contest.

Oh thank god, now we just need to light up a few more buildings blue and yellow and all change our profile pictures to something about solidarity and this war will be over lunchtime.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Burger 1
  • Big Brain 1

germany last one to block kicking russia out of SWIFT by now... pfff. also we're the 4th biggest exporter of weapons worldwide, but took like a month to send 5000 helmets. feeling rather pathetic atm.

i didnt't think putin would go off the deep end like this. never thought much of him other than being a troll, basically. he seems perfectly comfortable branding himself a global pariah, how should the western world ever share tables with him again... definitely seems like a point of no return.

not like mankind didn't stand before some of the greatest challenges of its history anway, noooo, let's add some new (cold) war for good measure. so very 20th century.

this seems all so utterly pointless from any point of view i can actually conceive. what the hell is really going on in putins head anyway? can a single man's pride really do this to himself -> his nation -> the world? phew...

russian revolution pt. 2, anyone?

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, jaderpansen said:

germany last one to block kicking russia out of SWIFT by now... pfff. also we're the 4th biggest exporter of weapons worldwide, but took like a month to send 5000 helmets. feeling rather pathetic atm.

i didnt't think putin would go off the deep end like this. never thought much of him other than being a troll, basically. he seems perfectly comfortable branding himself a global pariah, how should the western world ever share tables with him again... definitely seems like a point of no return.

not like mankind didn't stand before some of the greatest challenges of its history anway, noooo, let's add some new (cold) war for good measure. so very 20th century.

this seems all so utterly pointless from any point of view i can actually conceive. what the hell is really going on in putins head anyway? can a single man's pride really do this to himself -> his nation -> the world? phew...

russian revolution pt. 2, anyone?

https://www.openpetition.eu/petition/online/wegen-angriffskrieg-auf-ukraine-russland-sofort-von-swift-ausschliessen

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zero said:

I seriously wonder if trump plays into any of this. we know putin uses him. could there be some way trump, don jr., or any of the team help him in some financial capacity long term, without their direct knowledge? maybe sanctions on mar-a-lago are needed as well. there's got to be some secret pipeline of financial resources he could turn to eventually that aren't caught up in sanctions.

Uhh, Trump is middle class compared to the Russian oligarchy, I don't think they need his financial help.

• Like 1
  • Big Brain 1

btw can anyone here recommend somewhat neutral articles about the seperatists' point of view?

i mean putin's genocide-denazification yadda seems bonkers enough, still curious about first hand experiences with ukranian aggressions, if there actually were any especially noteworthy.

not keen on bothsideisms, just interested in truths n shit and mitigating my general ignorance. cheers.

• Like 3

I hope that the russian people rise up against Putin.  I know many get arrested straight away, but theres no way the police force could arrest everyone.  After a few weeks of this the police will be strung out and tired, some may even end up being sent into the war if extra men are needed.

Take down the Kremlin.

• Like 3

Two things that seem important:

The Snake Island border guards - very heroic, very quotable, gone very viral

And Zelensky staying put. His tweet:

Translated "There's a lot of fake info telling that I ordered the Ukrainian army to surrender. So, listen here: I'm here. We are not putting our weapons down, we are going to protect our country. Our weapons are our truth, it's our country, our children and we will protect them"

Guardian profile of zelensky/explanation of the importance of this: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/feb/26/volodymyr-zelenskiy-ukraine-stands-defiant-in-face-of-russian-attack

Thread by Ukrainian in Australia about Putins miscalculation and how Ukraine having a leader to rally around might make a lot of difference

On reddit seeing admiration for Ukraine and Zelensky accross the board for standing up to Putin.

Now maybe I'm stuck in a western media bubble or something but Snake Island and Zelensky staying put really seems to mean something. And now suddenly Ukraine has a strong identity on the world stage for having balls of steel.

• Like 5

either this is now going to test the statement that "china-russia relations are at the highest level in history, but the two countries are not an alliance" or putin is banking (yuck) on CIPS being ready for international transactions before proper damage has been done.

either way, china's reluctance to condemn .ru seems to be something putin already had foreseen

• Like 1