IGNORED

bandcamp acquired by epic games?!

species8472

I mean you CAN go and upload something critical of China or subversive on bandcamp so...it is (was? lol) truly a free platform with regards to content.

Probably loads of Hong Kong music there, Tibetan music + just the normal rebellious music from all over the world.

And when you see how they overreact to absolutely any kind of minor criticism...

CPC hates freedom of expression. Nothing else to be said.

Edited by thefxbip

When Epic Games is half owned by Tencent, a multinational corporation that owns shares in all the big players, you better be fucking worried about bandcamp features because its coming.

So much for champions for a fair and open Internet...

Bandcamp CEO sold his soul to the big man, thats all. And it's a big slap in the face to anyone that believed in the bandcamp ethos.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

12 minutes ago, ignatius said:

is it because of whaat happened last summer at bandcamp? 

googled and found this.. it's blocked. wtf. 

https://radiichina.com/bandcamp-blocked/

admit it. you had dreams for a sec of becoming a modular fart noise superstar over there. you could've been the next this guy:

spacer.png

• Haha 3

ugh.

wonder what the "content creators" have got to look forward to?

forcing all artist/label catalogues onto flat-rate streaming?

along with dumping major-label landfill into the site?

drowning out the unique music, reducing it to the status of a marketing bulletpoint?

• Like 4

when epic bought psyonix(rocket league) everyone was pleased to hear nothing would change besides the game going free to play.  The epic fortnite community infiltrated rocket league.  The servers declined without upgrades.  Little thing like being able to see the population of different game modes disappeared and were replaced by vague verbiage.  And skins that I bought for $1-$2 years ago are now $25.  I could also recall similar issues with Path of Exile over the years since they were bought by tencent.  Really disappointed to see Bandcamp fall under the same spell.  Greed.  Money is so dumb.

• Like 7

Bottom line is Bandcamp is not indie anymore, its not its own thing anymore.

It's the same as Spotify or itunes or any of those. It has been absorbed. 

Capitalism is inevitable where money goes i guess.

RIP

We had a good run of it.

(Wonder when Zuckenberg is gonna wake up and buy WATMM!!!)

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

Makes me want to delete my bandcamp and the internet and print CD-Rs.

ah yes, the days of CD burning, I remember those well. waiting all those minutes for a giant PC tower to chug along, waiting for the CD drive to pop open letting you know your prize is ready. the dreaded thought while the PC fan is whirring away of "did I forget to click the button to eliminate the 2 sec delay between tracks." ha! that too was fun while it lasted. then napster ushered in the mp3 era. then ipod came around and CD's died. then mp3's turned to wav's, then streaming, etc.

point is, whatever comes next, it will be good for awhile, and then something else will come along. bandcamp is great, and we as collectors of music all know it. but any time I mention it to a normie, they're like huh? band what? therefore I can see the powers that be wanting to put bandcamp right there next to spotify, or whatever mainstream platform is the soup du jour. and that's when other people get an idea to start something else outside of the tech bro capitalism machine, and on we go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Zephyr_Nova said:

I still have a CD drive on my desktop and burn CDRs to listen to in my van every now and then.  Feels good.

Me too. And I still make and sell CDr's. 

Thoughts on bandcamp:

Fuck does this mean I've actually got to download all 643 releases I've paid for on there just in case they do some shady shit where I start losing stuff I've not listened too, or artist start pulling releases like on spotify.....

• Like 2