IGNORED

bandcamp acquired by epic games?!

species8472

On 4/11/2022 at 11:22 AM, WurstPLUS said:

They must keep the downloading system, otherwise it would not make sense for me. I'm an oldschool ha.org/fb2k/tagging/converting/collecting/flac/lame/youknowwhat veteran.

+1000

I personally download everything as well. FLAC quality baby. Fuck streaming quality. And yes it does make a difference when you experience music. Sound quality is important. 

Itunes, spotify, soundcloud and co. with their damn low ass mp3 quality are a disgrace imho...if bandcamp becomes just another streaming app it would be a disaster.

If they remove the download system they kill bandcamp plain and simple for me.

Without downloads its not bandcamp anymore. And it would basically send everyone or at least a lot of people just back to soulseek in one move. I sure hope it will NEVER ever ever end up like this. It would be the biggest lost for indie music.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

+1000

I personally download everything as well. FLAC quality baby. Fuck streaming quality. And yes it does make a difference when you experience music. Sound quality is important. 

Itunes, spotify, soundcloud and co. with their damn low ass mp3 quality are a disgrace imho...if bandcamp becomes just another streaming app it would be a disaster.

Without downloads its not bandcamp anymore. And it would basically send everyone or at least a lot of people just back to soulseek in one move. I sure hope it will NEVER ever ever end up like this. It would be the biggest lost for indie music.

Can they even change it when there's been loads of people who purchased the right to download in a way?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, chronical said:

Can they even change it when there's been loads of people who purchased the right to download in a way?

Good question.

Wonder if they fuck enough with the terms of use...

I  really hope it never happens.

Edited by thefxbip
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, thefxbip said:

same. it'll be bleep only for me then. but there's lot's of good indie stuff on bandcamp that i've bought that isn't available anywhere else.. can't see them killing downloads on bandcamp. it'd be the end of them. 

• Like 1

Just now, ignatius said:

same. it'll be bleep only for me then. but there's lot's of good indie stuff on bandcamp that i've bought that isn't available anywhere else.. can't see them killing downloads on bandcamp. it'd be the end of them. 

If they have a plan to just kill it and make it something else tho?

would be fucking devilish thing to do but youre talking about bigshots here... gosh it would be horrible

Like you say there is loads and loads of DIY/indie obscure stuff in all genra only available there.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

can't find out if this tax applies for artists selling from these countries, or for  buyers from these countries.

in anyway, it seem not fair.

but international web  economic buisness and laws is something I know nothing about.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My new bandcamp stragtegy is free/name your price for full albums, but set price for individual tracks, to encourage people to approach things as albums rather than individual tracks.

Not a strategy for making money or getting attention, just a small way to contradict the design of the platform, as we all should with every platform we engage with, always.

Bandcamp is still a pretty good platform as these things go, so this feels like enough for now.  As opposed to, say, Twitter, where the only healthy way to engage would be if it was possible to make every tweet display goatse and then wipe the viewer's hard drive.  Not just your own tweets, I mean EVERY TWEET THAT EXISTS, for everyone that views it while logged in. For bandcamp, a nonsensical, self-defeating pricing scheme is enough.

I might need to ncrease the individual track pricing from $0.69 to $420.69 to drive the point home, I'll have to think about that.

• Like 2
  • Farnsworth 1

On 7/22/2022 at 11:26 PM, neurone said:

can't find out if this tax applies for artists selling from these countries, or for  buyers from these countries.

in anyway, it seem not fair.

but international web  economic buisness and laws is something I know nothing about.

I need to pay the Finnish VAT every time I buy anything on Bandcamp.

Kind of related to that I would rather people just download my stuff for free because in theory at least I should report all the sales as income and it's just too much hassle for the (potential) money I would be getting. Yeah, I could deduct all the expenses like software etc and pay zero taxes (because lol at the thought of making actual net profit from my music) but god forbid finding all the receipts is one big pain in the ass. I think normally no one would care but because I have a VAT registered business unrelated to the Bandcamp someone actually might check my where my revenue is coming from.

I'm not even going to go into how it would affect my employment benefits if I was getting any and the employment office found out. Just having the music up on sale is a potential problem in that case.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 6 months later...
57 minutes ago, iococoi said:

Songtradr will also offer Bandcamp artists the ability and choice to have their music licensed to all forms of media including content creators, game and app developers and brands. This will enable artists to continue to own and control their music rights, and increase their earning capacity from Songtradr’s global licensing network.

can't wait to hear some experimental electronics as background for the next tiktok trend. 😉

srsly though.. this will be interesting.. to see what they will do.. who they approach for licensing etc. i don't expect this will have any effect on the vast majority of bandcamp artists. but i guess there will be an "opt in/opt out" to marketing licensing etc.. somewhere in the terms of service at some point. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, ignatius said:

can't wait to hear some experimental electronics as background for the next tiktok trend. 😉

srsly though.. this will be interesting.. to see what they will do.. who they approach for licensing etc. i don't expect this will have any effect on the vast majority of bandcamp artists. but i guess there will be an "opt in/opt out" to marketing licensing etc.. somewhere in the terms of service at some point. 

probably yeah…i’m worried about Songtradr’s mission to just pump up their portfolio for sync/licensing/whatever (they’re likely willing to sell off theirselves & assets to anyone), and more directly concerned about their potential changes to the pricing & free/etc. options that Bandcamp has always been top at. 

• Like 2

image.png.a47c86caa9bbf9e436bae079f43de8dc.png

image.gif.3c184db9e7c625f6c91c87a67fdba436.gif

https://edition.cnn.com/2023/09/28/tech/epic-games-layoffs-fortnite/index.html

CNN — Epic Games, the maker of Fortnite, said on Thursday that it will lay off 16% of its staff, around 830 employees, as it attempts to reverse what CEO Tim Sweeney called “unrealistic” spending.

• Sad 2