IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

36 minutes ago, azatoth said:

Do the Barbican shows differ alot from the Helsinki show?

Only listened to the 2nd Barbican show and yes I found it relatively different from the Helsinki one. More "hip hop" elements (not only the scratching part) in the Barbican show. And more "melodic" sounds (even chords) too.

Can't wait to listen to the proper recordings of all of them.

10 hours ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

First one was similar (same set, but different of course cos Autechre). 2nd set was completely different.

autechre have a habit of autechring their shows - an absolute classic example is Glagow05 vs Hemsby 07 - mind you that was a few years apart. they twisted the autechre knob hella fast this time. 

Thats the 'chre

• Like 4

1 hour ago, phudoshin said:

autechre have a habit of autechring their shows - an absolute classic example is Glagow05 vs Hemsby 07 - mind you that was a few years apart. they twisted the autechre knob hella fast this time. 

Thats the 'chre

Nobody out 'chre's the 're

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I have decided the pummeling 1st Barbican set was Sean, and the hip-hop 2nd set was Rob. 
I base this on pure conjecture, wild assumptions, and a little dash of nonsense. 
These are the facts people 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fizzkinz said:

I have decided the pummeling 1st Barbican set was Sean, and the hip-hop 2nd set was Rob. 
I base this on pure conjecture, wild assumptions, and a little dash of nonsense. 
These are the facts people 

attachment.png.f5d15e17c235c8c5e0518d4c14e014d5.png

• Haha 8

stumbled upon this today (but i can't listen to it cuz sc got blocked here now. i can't load it even through vpn)
is it good recording?

Edited by kausto
  • Like 1

stumbled across a small ae writeup by Bicep today, from this article

7pm In the car en route to the Barbican to see Autechre perform, it starts to rain and we listen to a few of their tracks, like F7, to get ourselves in the mood. The performance was not quite like anything I have ever experienced. It really blurred the ideas of how music is arranged and consumed by taking highly industrial, acousmatic and other worldly sounds and presenting them in the Barbican’s quasi-natural environment of wood panelling. They played totally in the dark and I’d never experienced that pitch blackness in a show before. The absence of phones was rare, everyone was in the zone and listening intently, not really thinking about anything else. For that kind of music, you really need to be concentrating – if you aren’t, you can get a bit lost, it’s so intense.

I particularly liked the last section where the tempo broke down and some scratch loops were fed into the music and manipulated live. By this point in the set, it almost felt weird recognising a familiar sound.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now it’s been out for a couple of weeks, what’s everyone’s thoughts on the Helsinki soundboard?

I’ve given it a fair few listens - at this point I find it equally amazing and frustrating.  First 10 minutes work as a great intro to their current sound – you can hear echos of Exai, Elseq, NTS and PLUS (not so much from SIGN though) but it sounds very different as well.  The way everything mutates and transitions from one bar to the next is nuts. 

After the 10 minute mark it starts to get increasingly tiring though, there’s nothing melodically to hold on to, the pitched elements all sound like they are playing in different keys.  Notes are queasily sliding about and by the time the watery bass comes in at 18 minutes the structure kind of collapses as well.  By the 30 minute mark I find it genuinely unpleasant to listen to, something about the lead sliding about with the weird ascending percussion (C16 deep tread patch? Much prefer the Elseq version if so).

But around 45 minutes it pulls out of the tailspin, things start to fall into place, it no longer sounds like 3 songs playing at once. The section that starts at 48 minutes is one of the best things they’ve done IMO, all these parts locking together yet constantly shifting, the way it segues into the next section with all the synth shards at 55 minutes is stunning.  Most of the whole last third of the set is top-tier stuff really.  Must have sucked live that this was where the speakers blew out.

Overall definitely looking forward to the full soundboard release – second Barbican set also sounds great in places from the audience recordings.  I’ll probably have to edit some bits out though if I’m going to keep coming back to them.  Maybe with Covid delaying their original tour, this set has now been worked over so much that parts are impenetrable for mere mortals like myself?

Edited by danshoebridge
  • Like 2

I think Helsinki set was their weakest this year. 
The Barbican set and Barcelona set sounds way better (specially later set of Barbican) 

It's becoming pretty boring with the Max/Msp drones and just random weird noises. 
We want them crazy gritty Autechre glitchy beat violence oooooooiii !!! 

11 hours ago, cern said:

I think Helsinki set was their weakest this year. 
The Barbican set and Barcelona set sounds way better (specially later set of Barbican) 

It's becoming pretty boring with the Max/Msp drones and just random weird noises. 
We want them crazy gritty Autechre glitchy beat violence oooooooiii !!! 

If that thing on the Helsinki official recording is weak I can’t imagine how good the London shows must have been…

• Like 5

15 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

I find it genuinely unpleasant to listen to

15 hours ago, danshoebridge said:

parts are impenetrable for mere mortals like myself

Sounds about right for new ae. In five years or so it will all make sense :emotawesomepm9:

• Like 4

I don't get the 2nd Barbican show. I almost traveled to London for that, because I needed one more (and louder) fix after the Athens gig, but I'm glad I didn't from what I've heard.
It sounds too "normal" for my taste. Hopefully the soundboards will prove me wrong and reveal some depth in the sounds that I'm missing.

On the other hand, I've listened to the Helsinki gig about a zillion times and I find myself skipping the first 25 minutes, although it is a very nice build up the first time you listen to it.
Depending on the mood, I start at 25:00 or 35:00 minutes in. And it's one of the best things I've ever heard from the guys, absolutely amazing stuff!

Anxiously waiting for the Athens soundboard, because I remember it been even more satisfying than the Helsinki one, 45 minutes onwards...

• Like 2

5 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Sounds about right for new ae. In five years or so it will all make sense :emotawesomepm9:

Oh no doubt, I recently started getting into 'Bine' which was always my least favourite on Confield. Only took 20 years... 

That said, one track that I've never warmed to is 'Dial'. Those shepherd tone style melodies just rub my brain up completely the wrong way. There's loads on the first half of Helsinki with a similar thing going on which is a worrying sign. 

• Sad 1

13 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

That said, one track that I've never warmed to is 'Dial'. Those shepherd tone style melodies just rub my brain up completely the wrong way

For some reason I always see that track as the first part of a two parter along with Cap.IV - This half being the climb of the rollercoaster and the second half being the main ride

• Like 3