IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone else find certain passages of the new live stuff to be unusually anxiety-inducing? I don't typically have that kind of relationship with more frenetic stuff, etc., but I think there's an element of urgency and relentlessness rhythmically combined with suspenseful tones that (were we dealing with cinematic context, or whatever) might indicate that something ominous is underway.

Edited by mTesc
  • Like 1

I was thinking about making a post about what I feel about this liveset, because I listened to it a lot in the las month. so those previous posts comes on time ?

here's my take on it :

anxienty : quite like yeah, but more  darkness  than anxiety I would say . I mean it does not drive me anxious listening to it, but yeah it's goosebumping somehow

the set starts very dark and spooky,    then light come out  out of the darknes at ~ 1/4 of the set. then spooky things again for the middle, then beauty out of chaos at the end  (I'm referring to the helsinki set)

when listening to this set, I really feel some kind of slow swing between fear and hope, spookyness and beauty, dark and light, all this while imaginigg a high-tech, post-apocalyptic atmosphere , like human survivals trying to escape big mecha-cyborgs monsters trhough a ruined city.

or in a more concrete point of view, it also just matches very well with the sadness and dread this fuking world evoke  us, all this war, poverty, pollution, yet everyone tries to get his way trough.

in a few world, I found this set  very well crafted in terms of emotions, a nice scenario... A BEAUTIFUL CONTEMPORARY POEM.

• Like 4

Anxiety is something I hear very often associated with Ae. Probably because the construction never rests on something stable or defined, and one gets the impression of being constantly in the imminence of something that must happen but that is never resolved. Someone once told me "this music you hear is always on the verge of starting but then never starts". Yet for me that not stabilizing was already the point of arrival, not the starting. Twentytwentytwo takes this aspect to extreme, in some parts the more I concentrate the more I get disoriented, but if I feel anxiety, it's associated with a sense of surprise and discovery, the anxiety that is experienced in the moments in which a change is faced..
...i've gone a bit too far as well, but if we don't do it here, where else? 

• Like 10

9 hours ago, Draft78 said:

Anxiety is something I hear very often associated with Ae. Probably because the construction never rests on something stable or defined, and one gets the impression of being constantly in the imminence of something that must happen but that is never resolved. Someone once told me "this music you hear is always on the verge of starting but then never starts". Yet for me that not stabilizing was already the point of arrival, not the starting. Twentytwentytwo takes this aspect to extreme, in some parts the more I concentrate the more I get disoriented, but if I feel anxiety, it's associated with a sense of surprise and discovery, the anxiety that is experienced in the moments in which a change is faced..
...i've gone a bit too far as well, but if we don't do it here, where else? 

It's true. People have often mentioned finding the more, again, frenetic moments anxious for years. They haven't been for me. When Confield came out, a lot of people seemed to find it very bleak, but I thought it was really inviting if a bit trippy and challenging. Pieces like elyc6 can be kind of grating but not really disturbing. This is really the first time where I've noticed feeling on edge and then realized that the music has seemed to be informing (or at least heightening) that.

Yeah there's definitely some anxious passages, particularly between the 10 and 40 minute mark on the Helskinki recording. 

It's a weird one, listening to it at home there's lots of bits that for me just flat-out don't work at all, mainly their approach to melody with stuff just sliding around all over the place.  It's such a queasy, unsettling sound at times.  BUT there's also some really good stuff in there and I bizarrely find myself going back to it a lot more than SIGN, which I was initially much keener on.

Seeing this tour in person was anxiety-inducing for a different reason, mainly because the volume just drowned out any detail in the music, all I could hear was percussion and bass.  It might have worked in a club, but not with everyone sitting down, I found it initially distressing and eventually boring.

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Tbh im a bit nostalgic about their older live materials! my fav is the quari 2008 live, then untilted 2007, third being untilted 2005… then the precovid ones… atm im listening to the dublin live from 2018 and it’s crazy good, especially that moment from 48:50 to 58:50 ; _ ; it’s a piece of music that makes me so satisfied, so much that i don’t have the urge to make music myself anymore, for a while

tbh the newest live material is something I don’t feel nor understand nowhere near as well as I do the aforementioned ones

maybe i need to listen to properly released versions before jumping to the conclusion 

?

the albums are still close to the heart ❤️ 

Edited by xox
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, danshoebridge said:

Didn't Sean say they were aiming to get them out round mid-2023 in the AMA? Am I remembering that right? 

No 2024 he said 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Iwanttobefree said:

im p sure he said they MIGHT tour with the same set next year (so this year, cuz he said it in 2022), im almost pretty sure new tour dates are coming s00n

Talkin bout soundboard release timeline tho :datboi:

But if they're touring more then would they wait and put out all the sb at once?  They did it in batches for 14/15 AE_LIVE ... 

Taking a break from my annual early-spring oversteps obsession for a minute and giving helsinki another solid listen, in the meantime

9 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

Talkin bout soundboard release timeline tho :datboi:

But if they're touring more then would they wait and put out all the sb at once?  They did it in batches for 14/15 AE_LIVE ... 

Taking a break from my annual early-spring oversteps obsession for a minute and giving helsinki another solid listen, in the meantime

I think if they tour with the same set they would probably wait, but Sean mentioned they have several hours worth of material and most of it havent even aired yet, so i think the most likely scenario is soundboards will come out this year but this years live sets will be different, like Barbican 2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

even the 14/15 set had big changes: the last ones summarized the original part in 20 minutes, and then expanded in new directions, yet the soundboards came out only when all the material was archived. This makes me think that the same thing will happen with the current set: they will do new dates, with a lot of news, but there will always be a point of contact with the 2022 dates, and the soundboards will be released when they decide to work on a completely new set. However, the Helsinki file has created a historical precedent, and in the wake of this accidental fact, they may come to publish the other dates without the "publish only archived material" orthodoxy

Edited by Draft78
  • Like 2