IGNORED

Autechre. Live. Twentytwentytwo.

Iwanttobefree

4 hours ago, Draft78 said:

even the 14/15 set had big changes: the last ones summarized the original part in 20 minutes, and then expanded in new directions, yet the soundboards came out only when all the material was archived. This makes me think that the same thing will happen with the current set: they will do new dates, with a lot of news, but there will always be a point of contact with the 2022 dates, and the soundboards will be released when they decide to work on a completely new set. However, the Helsinki file has created a historical precedent, and in the wake of this accidental fact, they may come to publish the other dates without the "publish only archived material" orthodoxy

I reckon (pure conjecture here) that they will release some European tour sets similar to Helsinki before any more touring, and use the 2nd London set material as the basis for a future (North America/Japan/elsewhere?) tour. Although I think some sections from near the start of that set popped up on some bootlegs, the bulk did not, and I get the impression that most of the European tour was based around the same material as Helsinki. Which leads me to believe they are saving the material from the 2nd London set for something else.

If I'm right I won't get to relive the 2nd London set anytime soon ?. I really hope I do get to hear that soundboard someday though, it was a real treat.

15 minutes ago, EXTRASUPER81 said:

I reckon (pure conjecture here) that they will release some European tour sets similar to Helsinki before any more touring, and use the 2nd London set material as the basis for a future (North America/Japan/elsewhere?) tour. Although I think some sections from near the start of that set popped up on some bootlegs, the bulk did not, and I get the impression that most of the European tour was based around the same material as Helsinki. Which leads me to believe they are saving the material from the 2nd London set for something else.

If I'm right I won't get to relive the 2nd London set anytime soon ?. I really hope I do get to hear that soundboard someday though, it was a real treat.

personally I have the impression that the 2nd London was a thing in itself: having so much material ready, they decided to do a different thing for the second show, with something more "dub", without this necessarily indicating the direction of future dates. The bootleg reveals something less "abstract" than their trajectory (assuming they have one): we'll see if I'm wrong, but I suspect that what comes in the future will be even more alien than we've had so far, while the second date of London will remain as a unicum (which will still be published, I hope)... well, let's see

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 4:06 AM, Iwanttobefree said:

I think if they tour with the same set they would probably wait

You're probably right, and I had misremembered the AE_LIVE release timeline indeed... they came out in batches, but not starting until late 2015 after the tour was done.

I guess I can wait for soundboards but starting to crave some new ae in any form :crazy:

That helsinki set really is a doozy. I've had such contrasted listening experiences with it. Found it irritating as all hell as background music for menial tasks, not bad on walks, and most enjoyable as a focused listening experience/while drawing. Really kinda demands your attention or else it just sounds like a mess. To my simple ape brain at least 🦍

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 3

I'm really appreciating how with their live set recordings they put out so many variations on a theme. It can be overwhelming to have hours and hours of material to listen to but the strategy is making more sense to me now. Previously I would pick a couple of favourite sets and stick to those but lately I've just been heavily drinking in all the wet 24-bit details found in each one, especially the subtle gastric changes in the 2016/2018 material. There are tiny microcosms of delicate texture in there which I had sort of overlooked as part of a build-up to something, now the quieter it gets the more attention I am paying to it.        

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

The sub-sub bass on this (helsinki) is just heaped on. It's a bit too much and detracts from overall enjoyment, gets really fatiguing by about 2/3 of the way in. I still think this is probably what overwhelmed the sound system but of course can only speculate cause I wasn't there and generally never listen to audience recordings.  
They seem to be REALLY into these low sub frequencies over the past several years. Loads of it in S+P. I wonder if that has something to do with them getting older and losing some degree of hearing, sparking a greater interest in mostly "felt" frequencies. Or in this case it serves a specific purpose to the physical live experience. Maybe fatiguing on cans cause it's not meant for cans (yet). So personally I'm hoping to hear those frequencies reasonably mixed down in the final edits. Ymmv of course. 

8 hours ago, toaoaoad said:

The sub-sub bass on this (helsinki) is just heaped on. It's a bit too much and detracts from overall enjoyment, gets really fatiguing by about 2/3 of the way in. I still think this is probably what overwhelmed the sound system but of course can only speculate cause I wasn't there and generally never listen to audience recordings.  
They seem to be REALLY into these low sub frequencies over the past several years. Loads of it in S+P. I wonder if that has something to do with them getting older and losing some degree of hearing, sparking a greater interest in mostly "felt" frequencies. Or in this case it serves a specific purpose to the physical live experience. Maybe fatiguing on cans cause it's not meant for cans (yet). So personally I'm hoping to hear those frequencies reasonably mixed down in the final edits. Ymmv of course. 

ae already put out the helsinki set, no?  ?

1 hour ago, Satans Little Helper said:

ae already put out the helsinki set, no?  ?

It's just the raw soundboard. When they released AE_LIVE/onesix sets they had given them a full mixing treatment to sound better for home listening. Helsinki wasn't given that treatment (yet).

Also they didn't really "put it out", I believe it was intended to be just for people who had attended the show.

(but obviously we all got our grubby paws on it immediately) :crazy:

Edited by toaoaoad
  • Like 1

On 4/16/2023 at 9:50 PM, toaoaoad said:

100%

Same at the Barbican. Bass and overall volume just way, way too high. Like, if you listen to that set on youtube, the one with both sets, you might think that it was recorded from inside someone's jacket, or outside the room altogether, but that's *exactly* what it sounded like. Trying to orient yourself in such overwhelmingly complex music when it's played that loud and with that amount of bass is just exhausting. Felt like the sonic equivalent of sitting 2-3 feet away from an IMAX screen and being expected to take it all in 

Love AE and always will and never gonna not attend a show, but each gig I've been to the past three tours the sound has just been muddy muddy muddy 

Edited by Sam

not having had this problem, indeed, complaining of a too low volume, I wonder if my ears have lost those frequencies too, if not something more. And the answer is yes, I've abused my ears for decades :sad:

I think the AE 2022 Live Shows was a flop 
Only the Barbican one did left a mark on their ongoing tour 

Why can't they just release the material? Why does it take over a year for release the material when the Soundboard recording from Finland turned up so fast? 

This went hot to cold pretty fast ?

• Haha 1
  • Facepalm 1

9 minutes ago, cern said:

Why can't they just release the material? Why does it take over a year for release the material when the Soundboard recording from Finland turned up so fast? 

man I always see you complain. why do you think people want to hear that? the finland show they put up for download because the speakers at the venue were borked.. which is a truly OG move from them. very unrealistic expectations you have  Star Wars: Kehrt Yoda, der knuffigste 900-Jährige, zurück? | InTouch

Edited by chronical
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cern said:

image.thumb.png.645ad4d788b4427a9f14747e8d2bff02.png

• Haha 1

I would be slow to criticize them about how long it is/isn't taking them to release the gear. First off, they're the most generous artists going.....you could set your watch by them releasing an album, an ep AND (as of late) 8-12 hours of live material every 2-3 years. Second, as they've stated, they usually have to vet all the live material before making it available. That means listening to every set (probably more than once), mixing/mastering, and doing it all on top of preparing for upcoming gigs. That's not even factoring in the fact that may be working on a new album, AND have their own lives to get on with as well. So yeah, they can take as long as they like as far as I'm concerned. 

As far as to the tour being a flop? Depends on what you mean. Financially i'd say they did fine. Some people (mainly on here) seem to dig the work. But in terms of how good the material is, I don't think it's their strongest work. You look at the sets from 2005 to 2010 and each set has about 6-8 sections that are just absolutely amazing. The 2014 - 2018 sets, about half that. These sets it's very hard to point at any given passage and say that it's standout AE. There's the ending passage of the Barbican set, but that's kinda it. Out of the 10 people I know, no one talked about it since. 

I hate saying it all that, because I know they put a huge amount of work in to everything they do, but the material just felt a bit empty this time around. 

• Like 4

Yeah I mean there defo isn't anything else like it, that's why we love AE. And yeah, it's defo jazzy in a loose, "bitches brew" way. I think the vibe is probably most comparable to the oversteps tour. But that set had a ton of moments in it you'd relisten to over and over. I haven't gone back to this one at all really, and that's kinda saying something after 20 years of rinsing their live gear non stop. Look YMMV ?‍♂️

it's still not clear to me if they record on a single file (therefore ready for mastering but no longer mixable) or if they have the possibility of recording on separate tracks, with the automations open (in this case the work would be much longer, but they could intervene on the mix, correcting where necessary - for example removing the presumably mic feedback of the Greek date).

As for the set, for me it was beyond any possible expectation. I don't go back to the helsinki file too often because it's of such a density that I can't hear it while I'm doing anything else, but when I'm able to face it, it's a monster that seems to have more faces than I can see

• Like 8
  • Burger 1